Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Next Priest Holmes/Larry Johnson?

SkinsNoles21

It could happen. I'm not saying it will, but the duo could replicate what Holmes and LJ were able to do TOGETHER. We have a top tier o-line blocking for them. One back can put up 1500 yard seasons, the other 1000+ yard seasons. Our running back duo is one of the aspects that excites me about this coming season's offense.

You're loony.

Ladell Betts has done nothing to merit any comparison to Larry Johnson.

I wouldn't be so sure about that..

If Betts were given the full load, all 16 games as a starter, you may be surprised by what kind of numbers he could put up.

Well, both offensive lines were top 5 in the running games, both systems featured one running back that can take it to the house on any given play, and both systems featured a back that hits the hole with incredible quickness.

We don't need to compare our rushing offense to offenses of old, but perhaps in a few years, other teams will be saying, "maybe we have the next Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts attack?"

I can confidently say that we have the best rushing offense in the NFC East, and perhaps in the NFC entirely. Again with the if questions, but if Jason Campbell and put it all together and our passing offense remains consistently solid to good, we should be an offensive force to be reckoned with.

You're loony.

Ladell Betts has done nothing to merit any comparison to Larry Johnson.

And you have a winy Wife Beater in your signature.

As far as Portis/Betts being Johnson/Holmes, that metaphor is far from realistic. Even beyond skill level. For one, Johnson and Holmes were never a one-two punch. Holmes was the starter, than got seriously injured. Johnson took over, and has since held the job. They never shared the load in KC. Another important thing is that, while Betts and Johnson both got their chance at starting in the same fashion, they are two clearly different backs. Its just a completely different scenario.

A better comparison would be Addai/Rhodes (up until last year, that is).

Addai had better yards, and more touchdowns, but he still thrived off of Rhodes spelling him.

Rhodes did plenty with his opportunity, and the major difference between Rhodes and Betts is that Betts excelled in yardage, where as Rhodes found the enzone plenty of times.

I think we will see a different Betts and Portis this year....

Betts will have more confidence after his performance last year...

Portis will be trying to prove he is the guy in DC....

Together they are going to do some damage and I am really looking forward to it. They have very different running styles which will be a good mix to keep defenses on their toes. We need to get some packages when they are the field together.

Betts will be a starter after this season for some team in the league. If the coaches are smart here, which they certainly haven't proven yet, they will feature Betts this season to see if he is the future, or if he simply can't cut it.

It makes no sense to do anything else. We already know how good Portis is, and we obviously had no idea how good Betts was until injury forced him onto the field in the starting role.

I think Betts carrying the load....and CP coming in on 3rd down to dance around a little bit before running forward with the ball will be a good combo.

Betts will be a starter after this season for some team in the league. If the coaches are smart here, which they certainly haven't proven yet, they will feature Betts this season to see if he is the future, or if he simply can't cut it.

It makes no sense to do anything else. We already know how good Portis is, and we obviously had no idea how good Betts was until injury forced him onto the field in the starting role.

I think Betts carrying the load....and CP coming in on 3rd down to dance around a little bit before running forward with the ball will be a good combo.

You call the coaches stupid, and then you say that they should have the guy they pay $50 million play as a third down back. You are DILUSIONAL about Betts. Your posts ALWAYS ignore the major knock against Betts: that last season was one of the only seasons in his career where he stayed injury free.

With Al Saunders in Washington and all the talk of how great Betts is, what are the chances Portis runs for 15-1700 yards and Betts still gets between 6-800 yards. This combo could be better than Holmes/Johnson because of the youth. Lookout world, the Skins are loaded.

I am not trying to compare Betts to Johnson I am just saying we will have two backs who can hurt the opposing defense and can run for a lot of yards.

By the way, can someone tell me what Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson had done before Al saunders. Holmes had one thousand yard season under his belt and was a backup in Baltimore. LJ had barely played.

Maybe if I put a question mark at the end of the title that will make it better.

People freak out when any type of comparison is made at all.

this is a bad place to ask. There are people here that hate Betts for whatever reason that would never admit to Betts being any good. Now if you're asking if we have a great 1-2 punch, yes I think we do...but even then people here wouldn't admit that. I'm not going to call them power and speed. Betts isn't pure power nor speed. He sets his mind on htting the hole as fast as possible and it makes him successful. Portis usually hesitates and sometimes he loses the hole and gets dropped and sometimes the hole opens wider and he breaks off a nice run.

Don't get me wrong. Portis is still the number one man, but if people think he's running 25x game he'll be done just as fast as other seasons he went down. I think you'll see 20 by Portis with Betts getting about 12. Let's not get ridiculous here and call Portis the rock of durability people. In five NFL seasons he's only completed two of them injury free. He averaged 18-20 carries in Denver and did fine. The most he's ever averged per game in any season was about 23. He's not going to be the go to guy for everything whether some like it or not. I'm not obsessed over him getting 2,000 yards. I'd rather go 11-5 with Portis rushing for 1,200 than 7-9 and him getting 1,800. It's about wins. He's one piece of the offense puzzle. Not the whole picture.

You call the coaches stupid, and then you say that they should have the guy they pay $50 million play as a third down back. You are DILUSIONAL about Betts. Your posts ALWAYS ignore the major knock against Betts: that last season was one of the only seasons in his career where he stayed injury free.

Your best bet is to just ignore that guy. He has a hard on for Betts for some reason, and nothing you post will ever convince him otherwise.

Trust me, the rest of the board has tried and nothing works on this guy.

Like I said, just ignore him maybe eventually he will go away. I would guess at least 100 people have him on ignore:laugh:

Archived