Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone play Ultimate Frisbee?

Slateman

Saw the thread about pickup basketball. Well, I love teh Ultimate :D But, college is out and all the guys I used to play with are gone or busy. Losers.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone in Northern Virginia plays? And maybe they'd allow me to join? :D I gotta admit, I'm not real good at throwing. Kind of hoping someone can show me how actually. But I can catch and jump. I'm a little out of shape as I had knee surgery in winter and put one like 30lbs :( Hoping to add something fun to my workout schedule and get that weight down :D

So . . . anyone play some Ultimate?

There are many people in the DC area who play. I played a few years ago. I played at ECU (Irates). The team i played with won Nationals for college teams.

We were very intense, and stacked with aces. We partied just as hard as we played on the field. It's amazing we could drink and party all night, then play in a tournament the next day and proceed to kicking butt.

Unfortunately there are not of players where i live. There are some guys that play pick-up and it is fun. But tournament play is where it's at.

I have sustained a broken wrist which required a bone graph and screw, and broke the other arm near my wrist. So... i can't really go after it like i used to. I spend most of my time surfing now. It's a softer landing than turf.:laugh:

There are many people in the DC area who play. I played a few years ago. I played at ECU (Irates). The team i played with won Nationals for college teams.

We were very intense, and stacked with aces. We partied just as hard as we played on the field. It's amazing we could drink and party all night, then play in a tournament the next day and proceed to kicking butt.

Unfortunately there are not of players where i live. There are some guys that play pick-up and it is fun. But tournament play is where it's at.

I have sustained a broken wrist which required a bone graph and screw, and broke the other arm near my wrist. So... i can't really go after it like i used to. I spend most of my time surfing now. It's a softer landing than turf.:laugh:

See, thats a little more intense than I'm looking for. Or at least want to. Pick up will be plenty intense if I get into it :D

I've played....ultimate kicks ass. I haven't played any kind of organized ultimate though, like Drock described; although I have watched it. Its nuts...called plays, designed patterns and such...:laugh: When I play its just run around and get open. :laugh:

Ok, what is with all the hippie smacktalk?!? Hippie? Weed?? I think you guys are confusing Ultimate Frisbee with hackie sack.

Ultimate has a ton of running in it. Comparable to soccer, only on a smaller field with more scoring :D

Yea jrockster77, I know what you're talking about. I used to play pickup with some guys/girls like that. Had to tell them to take it easy cus it was just us screwing around. They took it way too seriously. lol, this one guy would call foul any time anyone even remotely touched him :rolleyes:

love ultimate, theres pickup games at the local elemntary school field everyday at 4 which is amazing because i can play everyday with different people

EDIT:

So we were arguing the other day about this: whats the best stall # to use, whats used professionally or in tournaments? 5? 7?

Also, can you stall someone before they even pick the frisbee up?

Yes, yes, and yes!!! I love the game. I played soccer growing up in D.C., but switched over to ultimate while I was in grad school and now I'm a junkie!

A beautiful game which doesn't get nearly the props it should.

love ultimate, theres pickup games at the local elemntary school field everyday at 4 which is amazing because i can play everyday with different people

EDIT:

So we were arguing the other day about this: whats the best stall # to use, whats used professionally or in tournaments? 5? 7?

I feel that seven is the best. Five on a small field. And I don't know, I never have stalled someone till they actually picked it up.

A stall-count of 10 is what's officially used at all college and UPA tournaments, and it's illegal to begin before a player picks up the disc. www.upa.org, fyi.

A stall-count of 10 is what's officially used at all college and UPA tournaments, and it's illegal to begin before a player picks up the disc. www.upa.org, fyi.

Thanks, thats what I figured.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what a "pick" was. I was getting called for that left and right, and it seemed like all I did was cross paths with people. Kind of dumb in a sport where you run around in a circle :D

EDIT:

they are dead in the water at a count of 10. And you have to be within 3 meters to count.

on a marker...if an offensive player stands over a disc w/o taking possession, the marker can issue a "Delay of Game" warning. If the disc is not picked up. the marker may start and continue a stall count regardless of the offenses actions.

Yea jrockster77, I know what you're talking about. I used to play pickup with some guys/girls like that. Had to tell them to take it easy cus it was just us screwing around. They took it way too seriously. lol, this one guy would call foul any time anyone even remotely touched him :rolleyes:

There are fouls in ultimate frisbee??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's how seriously I took it!! :laugh:

WTF is a stall number?? :laugh:

WTF is a stall number?? :laugh:

Its a count. The thrower has to a certain count to get rid of the frisbee. Its like a mississippi count in pickup football. But instead, you say 1 stall, 2 stall, ect . . .

So, anyone in Northern Virginia play? :D

Archived