Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sins.com:Brunell to Miss 2-3 Weeks With Hand Injury

skins4eva

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=17537

Quarterback Mark Brunell has a small fracture in his left index finger and he is expected to miss 2-3 weeks of off-season work, the team announced on Friday.

Mark Brunell

The injury occurred in a drill during an Organized Team Activity (OTA) practice earlier this week.

The injury could force Brunell, who throws left-handed, to sit out the June 16-18 full squad mini-camp.

With Brunell sidelined, backups Todd Collins and Jason Campbell will likely get the bulk of snaps during the remaining OTA practices and mini-camp.

Since Brunell is a 13-year NFL veteran, his absence from OTA and mini-camp practices should not be an issue.

Brunell and the quarterbacks are in the middle of learning the offense of new associate head coach-offense Al Saunders.

As Collins said recently: "Mark is an accomplished quarterback--he's run many of these plays before, but they were called different things. So his adjustment is just going to be the terminology. He knows how to play the position."

Brunell is expected to be fully healthy for the start of training camp in late July.

Brunell is coming off a season in which he helped guide the Redskins to the playoffs for the first time in six years. He started 15-of-16 regular-season games and completed 262-of-454 passes for 3,050 yards, 23 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. His QB rating was 85.9.

Start Campbell NOW!!!

there it's been said...no one else has to now.

I kind of agree--I at least think it should be open competition in training camp. I mean, is he really gonna sit on the bench for another year? It makes me wonder what's going on with his development.

What the hell?! How do you injure your finger doing non-contact drills? He needs to tough it out man, no excuses. He'll have a month off after minicamp.

he could have banged his hand into a helmet on a follow through....

I kind of agree--I at least think it should be open competition in training camp. I mean, is he really gonna sit on the bench for another year? It makes me wonder what's going on with his development.

:doh: Brunell is our QB, there is no question about it. Stop thinking otherwise, it won't happen barring injury. It has NOTHING to do with Campbell's development.

Well, this sucks. Let's just hope it's the last we hear about it and it doesn't become a nagging distraction ala Lavar's knee.

Put that pointer in a nice soft cast and make sure it gets plenty of whirlpool therapy and IV fluids.

As Collins said, Brunell's adjustments will be more mental than physical so this isn't a deal-breaker.

Who knows, maybe Campbell will make the most of his extra snaps and make something happen?

At a minimum, it gives Mark another 3 weeks to keep his legs fresh.

Brunell has to strengthen his legs and gain that extra spring. If he's not going to be throwing for 3 weeks he should be doing some heavy duty running and lifting to increase his leg strength.

Brunell has to strengthen his legs and gain that extra spring. If he's not going to be throwing for 3 weeks he should be doing some heavy duty running and lifting to increase his leg strength.

I am going to call Bubba Tyer and let him know.. wow great idea :laugh: but then he might hurt his big toe and he is done!! Season is over follks, lets pack it in.

I am going to call Bubba Tyer and let him know.. wow great idea :laugh: but then he might hurt his big toe and he is done!! Season is over follks, lets pack it in.

He should be running 10-15 miles a day so that if we need him to pull off a 25 yard scramble again this year, he can and he won't fatigue.

you do realize...I was being sarcastic right? :doh:

it'll be fine. its probably not even that serious. just precautionary and an excuse to give campbell more reps - he's gonna be a beast in the league anyways sooner or later, so get him more work now and make it sooner.

i'm not worried, i still believe it should be brunell's job, which it is.

:logo:

He should be running 10-15 miles a day so that if we need him to pull off a 25 yard scramble again this year, he can and he won't fatigue.

10-15 miles a day? :laugh:

Why don't we add a full backpack to it as well? :)

We just need him to scramble for a few yards once in a great while, not run a marathon.

Archived