Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My offensive and defensive unit grades

D'Pablo

Kind of surprising when I look at it:

QBs: B-, while Brunnel, at least I believe so, is capable of taking us far into the playoffs, he can't seem to rebound too well when he is down. Collins is basically an unknown considering it's been years since he has played a regular season game. The same goes for Campbell, although one has to love his work ethic and measurables.

RBs: A, Clinton Portis is obviously a top 5 back in the league as his production would prove. Surprisingly, Betts is maybe only a step behind considering how well he has played in limited carries, and this goes for his entire career. The best part of it all is that Rock has starter experience, too, and was actually productive.

WRs: B+, A lot of our current WR corps shares one common problem (and I'm not referring to height). They all have a case of the dropsies. Lloyd dropped the easy ones as did Patten, ARE, and Jacobs. Part of what made Moss so effective was his sure hands and the fact that when we needed a first down, he'd catch the ball (being "clutch"). Thankfully, we have a great coaching staff that will spend time on this problem. Moreover, these guys have great talent so this should offset the problem somewhat (more specifically, they're not like Gardner: slow, run poor routes, and drop the ball). I really feel that Moss will be carrying this group until one of these guys proves himself to be a legit #2.

Fullbacks: C, Sellers is obviously a beast. He, however, is aging, and he may show signs of decline during the season. Otherwise, he can block, run, and catch. Unfortunately, depth here is a concern also. Hopefully, Manuel White can play up to his draft status (4th rounder for a fullback).

TE: A-, Fauria was excellent in New England. He shares a lot of traits with Cooley, in that he has a knack for finding open spaces but isn't necessarily the most athletic person out on the field. I love this guy's hands. *Cooley, from what I've read, will be the starter at this position. The guy is a monster and should have an easier time getting open with our new wide outs and Fauria being opposite him. He'll have a gonzo season.* There should be some depth here considering we brought in a lot of guys to see if they could play this position. I like Johnson out of Auburn.

OT: B-, Obviously, Chris Samuels was a probowler and Jansen pretty darn good, too. Both of these guys are getting older and there is no proven depth behind them. If Molinaro proves to be a gamer, this grade easily shoots up to an "A". If not, I hope we find some depth before or during camp.

OG: B+, We all know that Randy Thomas played like a probowler last season. That guy was a monster at pulling and created some serious lanes. Dockery had what was nearly a breakout season. I feel that he will be dominant this year as he has definately shown signs of improvement each and every year. I also feel good about our depth. They have some starting experience and have come from systems, where quite frankly, they haven't received the kind of coaching they will from Bugel and co.

OC: C-, If Rabach goes down, we're gonna be hurting. I recall one of the guards we signed being able to do double duty as a center. That doesn't really give me a vote of confidence. I hope we can find some depth here. Otherwise, Rabach is probably as good as they come. He certainly fit the bill this past season.

Offensive Coaches: A+, You got Gibbs, Buges, and Saunders back there. Nuff' said.

DE: B+, We finally got that pass rusher along the line in Carter. Even if he produces a sack every other game, that would be incredibly productive for our line. Wynn or Daniels gets relegated to backup duty, which instantly bolsters depth. Daniels was on fire toward the end of the season last year. Wynn has always been a solid run stopper. Demetric Evans has been pretty solid, too. I'm pretty happy with this unit.

DT: C+, This grade is low because we have an over-reliance on Griffin. When he goes down, our defense reflects it. Salave'a is awesome and my fave Redskin, but he's up there in age and tends to get winded. The depth here is questionable as Boschetti seemed to get run at constantly when he was in the lineup. Noble is gone and that hurts depth, too. If Montgomery or Golston manages to work themselves into the gameday roster and produce, this group may become significantly better.

OLB: A-, This group went from weakness to instant strength over the offseason. Marcus Washington is the heart and soul of the defense and has been since his arrival. McIntosh seems like a "super smart" guy that will produce instantly. Hopefully, he doesn't catch the injury bug. He certainly has the measurables and the head for it. Our depth is amazing considering we have two viable starters back there in Clemmons and Holdman.

MLB: C, Marshall has been a solid, if unspectacular, backer. Beyond him is a bunch of unknowns such as McCune, Havner, and company.

SS: C+, Archuletta is probably the best strong safety we've had in years. He will act as an extra linebacker and will add to our stoutness against the run. There is no proven depth here, though. Perhaps Doughty will prove to be a wise draft pick. We could always play Prioleau as a SS, too.

FS: B+, The only concern is more depth and Taylor's trial. Prioleau could be a starter if Williams wanted it that way. He proved last season how valuable he is in the secondary by basically playing every position back there. Taylor is a future HOFer, in my opinion, and considering the outlook of his trial, he should be ready to go by fall. He'll have a chip on his shoulder, too.

CB: B, Rogers became a very solid corner under the radar of most skins fans. We have to consider that after his first few games as a starter, we almost never heard his name. That is, unless it was for an interception or dropped interception. If he progresses like he did last year, we'll be referring to him as All-Pro Carlos Rogers. Springs is solid as always, but has some serious injury concerns and his age isn't helping much. People are sleeping on Kenny Wright, but the guy was a starter on a very solid defense last year. He has measurables and could be fantastic as a fill-in starter. Wright is actually better depth that what we've had the last three years. Moreover, Jimoh finally showed us why he's been on the roster the last couple of years. This guy should be solid in Nickel and Dime packages. Our corners are a lot better than people give them credit for.

Defensive Coaches: A+, Lets see, we have four former coordinators instructing our defensive personnel. One of them has led a team to a superbowl and the others have all had consistent top 10 defenses. Grey is gonna be one of the best additions we've made. I love Lindsey and his no nonsense approach. I love Blache and the fact that he teaches linemen there's more to playing the position than sacking the QB. Williams is the best defensive playcaller in the league, bar-none.

*edit*

The only thing I would change is the TE grade you gave the Skins...and my reason for doing so is basically just a technicality. Cooley's official position this year is going to be Tight End, so I think that grade should be higher. Other than that, I pretty much agree with the grades you gave the rest of the team.

The only thing I would change is the TE grade you gave the Skins...and my reason for doing so is basically just a technicality. Cooley's official position this year is going to be Tight End, so I think that grade should be higher. Other than that, I pretty much agree with the grades you gave the rest of the team.

Yeah, I considered that... But from what I've heard, Saunders may just keep the H-Back position. He drafted one in KC, which never panned out. I forget the guy's name. I know for a fact that he was supposed to be an H-Back, however. This leads me to believe he won't mess with a good thing and will keep Cooley in his current position. Plus it means that Fauria can retain his status as a starter and so everyone is happy.

If my understanding is correct, Cooley is moving to tight end (and officially being called one now). There was an article on it at www.redskins.com explaining that he should have been listed as a TE last year, and he will be listed as one this year.

They are supposed to still use an H-back as far as I can tell, but I think someone else is going to fill that role... I'm not completely sure who, though. Fauria?

Clint

If my understanding is correct, Cooley is moving to tight end (and officially being called one now). There was an article on it at www.redskins.com explaining that he should have been listed as a TE last year, and he will be listed as one this year.

They are supposed to still use an H-back as far as I can tell, but I think someone else is going to fill that role... I'm not completely sure who, though. Fauria?

Clint

You're right. I just saw the article. Although I've read it before. It seems to me, though, that the it's mostly conjecturing by the author. The article even mentions, "Associate head coach-offense Al Saunders is expected to use Cooley in a similar role as Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, a seven-time Pro Bowler." The key word is "expected." Of course, there is another blurb by Cooley referring to the adjustments he will have to make, so maybe there is more truth to this than what I've acknowledged. For the moment being, I'm going to adjust my grades to reflect the change.

Good post. I agree with most of it. There are some I dont agree with though. The center Position: Rabach is great. We are definately in trouble if he goes down, however, he deserves higher that a c - with or without depth.

QB- Mark is good and love the guy, however, he will not play more than 10 games. Save this and mark my words.

DT- This grade was a little harsh. I would have to go with a B. Griffin is one of the best in the NFL and Salave'a is a beast. Also, look at for Montgomery.

FS & SS- This is the position I disagree with the most. I would say an A. I really believe that they will be the best duo in football. Even T.O is going to fear cominng across the middle. Sean Taylor already has it out for him, should be interesting.

There are my opinions. Great post! :point2sky

I think SS deserves better than a C+. Archuletta is the man, and from what I hear, Doughty is going to be a pimp as well.

eh, although archuletta is good, i wouldnt regard him in that type of regard. He definatly adds another big hitter to go along side of taylor, but his coverage/ball hawking skills are a little skeptical

Good post. I agree with most of it. There are some I dont agree with though. The center Position: Rabach is great. We are definately in trouble if he goes down, however, he deserves higher that a c - with or without depth.

QB- Mark is good and love the guy, however, he will not play more than 10 games. Save this and mark my words.

DT- This grade was a little harsh. I would have to go with a B. Griffin is one of the best in the NFL and Salave'a is a beast. Also, look at for Montgomery.

FS & SS- This is the position I disagree with the most. I would say an A. I really believe that they will be the best duo in football. Even T.O is going to fear cominng across the middle. Sean Taylor already has it out for him, should be interesting.

There are my opinions. Great post! :point2sky

I can't disagree with your QB assessment, because Brunnel is old and has been injured in the past. Our staff has been successful in keeping this team healthy for the most part.

As for DT, trust me, I wanted to rate this group higher. We don't have any depth, though. Montgomery hasn't played a down in the NFL and isn't even guaranteed a roster spot (5th round pick). I hope for the best from him. Griffin is the best lineman we have, but there's really not much behind him. Salave'a is up there in age, too.

As for FS and SS, I can't give an "A" for positions where our depth is limited to one person (Prioleau). If these grades were based exclusively on starters, I'd give FS an "A+". Archuletta also has some faults in the passing game that can't be overlooked. On pure talent alone, he is probably a "B" to a "B+". Then added to the fact is that there is no depth behind him. Depth needs to be addressed here.

negative

he had 2 sacks,4 interceptions,and 2 forced fumbles.

I can't argue that he had a bad season. I thought that, individually, he was pretty darn good. He wasn't what Pierce was the season before, however. Our players were out of position a lot more this past year. The MLB is the QB of the defense, so some of the fault falls on Marshall. He should have a better season this year and be more mindful of assignments, too. There is still a problem of depth behind him. I worry that the guys behind him won't have a strong enough grasp of the defense to get linemen into position, although they may appear to be tackling machines out on the field.

eh, although archuletta is good, i wouldnt regard him in that type of regard. He definatly adds another big hitter to go along side of taylor, but his coverage/ball hawking skills are a little skeptical

When healthy Arch is dangerous. Living in STL and getting to watch him helps a little with my perception... but he is not the "liablity" everyone is calling him out as. Last yr coverage wasnt necessarily Clark's strong suit either. Just b/c coverage isnt their bread and butter, doesnt make them a "liability" (see Roy Williams, if you want a beast hitter but coverage liability).

SS was def. an upgrade, it kills me to watch L.T. break that overtime run against us... when Clark got leveled by little L.T. Arch would have made him think twice about what his name is let alone give up a TD that ended the game!

When healthy Arch is dangerous. Living in STL and getting to watch him helps a little with my perception... but he is not the "liablity" everyone is calling him out as. Last yr coverage wasnt necessarily Clark's strong suit either. Just b/c coverage isnt their bread and butter, doesnt make them a "liability" (see Roy Williams, if you want a beast hitter but coverage liability).

SS was def. an upgrade, it kills me to watch L.T. break that overtime run against us... when Clark got leveled by little L.T. Arch would have made him think twice about what his name is let alone give up a TD that ended the game!

Thank you. Everyone says Archuleta sucks because he is a coverage liability yet Roy Williams is also a coverage liability but he is considered one of the best Safetys in the league. This just doesnt make sense too me.

I also dont agree with your grade for our Safety position as a whole. At Safety, we have 3 players that are capable of starting on most teams(ST, Archuleta, Prioleau). Most people have 2. I cant think of too many teams that have 3 starting caliber safetys like we do. I would definitely give the safety postion as a whole at least an "A".

Second, Lemar Marshall IMO played just as good as Antonio Pierce did for us. I think a lot of people underrate him. He made some great plays and is better than Pierce in coverage.

Everything else seemed fine.

OT should be at least a B or a B+, the only thing missing is depth but what team has 3 great tackles?? Most teams don't even have 2...

It's not a matter of 3 great tackles. It's a matter of do we even have a 3rd tackle? Molinaro hasn't exactly done much to prove himself (otherwise he would've been used instead of Raymer in the playoff game) and I don't even think we have another OT unless they're UDFA rookies or vets we haven't signed yet. As it sits right now, I think we're thouroughly ****ed if something significant happens to Jansen or Samuels.

QBs: B-' date=' while Brunnel, at least I believe so, is capable of taking us far into the playoffs, he can't seem to rebound too well when he is down. Collins is basically an unknown considering it's been years since he has played a regular season game. The same goes for Campbell, although one has to love his work ethic and measurables.[/quote']

Brunell put up pro-bowl numbers last season, and since he's going to be fully rested this season, there's no reason to expect more of the same. Campbell has all the measurables and has spent a year being tutored by the master of maximizing QB potential, Joe Gibbs. Collins knows Saunders' system perfectly, and will tutor the other two in that aspect. I can't see how you can give them any less than a B+.

RBs: A, Clinton Portis is obviously a top 5 back in the league as his production would prove. Surprisingly, Betts is maybe only a step behind considering how well he has played in limited carries, and this goes for his entire career. The best part of it all is that Rock has starter experience, too, and was actually productive.

The Portis/Betts tandem is one of the better tandems in the league. Cartwright is a solid backup. I agree here.

WRs: B+, A lot of our current WR corps shares one common problem (and I'm not referring to height). They all have a case of the dropsies. Lloyd dropped the easy ones as did Patten, ARE, and Jacobs. Part of what made Moss so effective was his sure hands and the fact that when we needed a first down, he'd catch the ball (being "clutch"). Thankfully, we have a great coaching staff that will spend time on this problem. Moreover, these guys have great talent so this should offset the problem somewhat (more specifically, they're not like Gardner: slow, run poor routes, and drop the ball). I really feel that Moss will be carrying this group until one of these guys proves himself to be a legit #2.

I guess I can't really argue here, except that Patten was injured most of last season. Moss was the 2nd best receiver in the league last year, so I think the unit deserves an A- for that fact alone. Not to mention Lloyd and ARE as 2nd and 3rd receivers is a luxury if you ask me, especially after last year. A-

Fullbacks: C, Sellers is obviously a beast. He, however, is aging, and he may show signs of decline during the season. Otherwise, he can block, run, and catch. Unfortunately, depth here is a concern also. Hopefully, Manuel White can play up to his draft status (4th rounder for a fullback).

Can't really disagree here. I think White was chosen to play H-Back, but with the offense switching to a more pure TE and a FB, that may change. Hopefully White can stay healthy. Broughton may also be used as a FB.

TE: A-, Fauria was excellent in New England. He shares a lot of traits with Cooley, in that he has a knack for finding open spaces but isn't necessarily the most athletic person out on the field. I love this guy's hands. *Cooley, from what I've read, will be the starter at this position. The guy is a monster and should have an easier time getting open with our new wide outs and Fauria being opposite him. He'll have a gonzo season.* There should be some depth here considering we brought in a lot of guys to see if they could play this position. I like Johnson out of Auburn.

Cooley showed he was one of the elite pass-catching TEs last season (although technically he wasn't a TE), and his role will change little more than in name this season. He will again be among the top 5-8 in the league, and will put up some very nice numbers. I don't think he'll match Gonzo's 102 catches of a few years ago, but he may put up some serious TD numbers. Johnson is a monster and can be excellent if he plays up to potential, and Fauria is a solid, proven TE. A

OT: B-, Obviously, Chris Samuels was a probowler and Jansen pretty darn good, too. Both of these guys are getting older and there is no proven depth behind them. If Molinaro proves to be a gamer, this grade easily shoots up to an "A". If not, I hope we find some depth before or during camp.

Depth isn't as big a concern as most feel it is. Jansen and Samuels are very good tackles, although they tend to both get beat by speed rushers a little too often for my tastes. Molinaro has had two years under the tutelage of Buges, so I expect him to be ready to fill in if needed. Tyson Walter can play tackle, as can the rook Tofutu and a couple others on the roster. B-

OG: B+, We all know that Randy Thomas played like a probowler last season. That guy was a monster at pulling and created some serious lanes. Dockery had what was nearly a breakout season. I feel that he will be dominant this year as he has definately shown signs of improvement each and every year. I also feel good about our depth. They have some starting experience and have come from systems, where quite frankly, they haven't received the kind of coaching they will from Bugel and co.

For the reasons you stated, I believe this position deserves a solid A

OC: C-, If Rabach goes down, we're gonna be hurting. I recall one of the guards we signed being able to do double duty as a center. That doesn't really give me a vote of confidence. I hope we can find some depth here. Otherwise, Rabach is probably as good as they come. He certainly fit the bill this past season.

I agree here, although I might even give Rabach a D+. Dude single-handedly cost us the Chargers game with a boneheaded holding penalty, and I still haven't forgiven him for that. And as you say, if he goes down we're pretty sunk. I belive Pucillo and the rook Tofutu can both play C if necessary, but that's not really the kind of backup you want. However both are better than Raymer, who was total garbage last season.

Offensive Coaches: A+, You got Gibbs, Buges, and Saunders back there. Nuff' said.

:cheers:

DE: B+, We finally got that pass rusher along the line in Carter. Even if he produces a sack every other game, that would be incredibly productive for our line. Wynn or Daniels gets relegated to backup duty, which instantly bolsters depth. Daniels was on fire toward the end of the season last year. Wynn has always been a solid run stopper. Demetric Evans has been pretty solid, too. I'm pretty happy with this unit.

I think Evans blossoms this season. Clemons will also play some pass-rushing end, and proved he could rush the passer effectively in spots last season (as did Evans). Carter is an unknown -- he had a monster year in 02, but has had some injury problems recently. If he stays healthy, I think he has the talent around him to put up some big time numbers. Daniels came on strong at the end of last year, and has always been solid against the run. And having a backup like Wynn is a luxury. A-

DT: C+, This grade is low because we have an over-reliance on Griffin. When he goes down, our defense reflects it. Salave'a is awesome and my fave Redskin, but he's up there in age and tends to get winded. The depth here is questionable as Boschetti seemed to get run at constantly when he was in the lineup. Noble is gone and that hurts depth, too. If Montgomery or Golston manages to work themselves into the gameday roster and produce, this group may become significantly better.

Griffin is the man, and Salave'a is a perfect compliment. Depth is not an issue, and Montgomery and Golston both have the potential to become very solid depth. Killings and Jones played well last season, and Bosco showed flashes at times. B

OLB: A-, This group went from weakness to instant strength over the offseason. Marcus Washington is the heart and soul of the defense and has been since his arrival. McIntosh seems like a "super smart" guy that will produce instantly. Hopefully, he doesn't catch the injury bug. He certainly has the measurables and the head for it. Our depth is amazing considering we have two viable starters back there in Clemmons and Holdman.

I'd say this unit is a B+ until Rocky proves himself. Watch for Havner -- he could be really good.

MLB: C, Marshall has been a solid, if unspectacular, backer. Beyond him is a bunch of unknowns such as McCune, Havner, and company.

I think you are vastly underrating Marshall. He stepped into the role like he'd been playing it all his life last season. After having a year to practice, he's only going to be better. McCune has tons of talent, but it remains to be seen how much he's improved. Increased playing time last season is a good sign. Havner is an OLB. Campbell is a backup at this spot, and is pretty solid. B

SS: C+, Archuletta is probably the best strong safety we've had in years. He will act as an extra linebacker and will add to our stoutness against the run. There is no proven depth here, though. Perhaps Doughty will prove to be a wise draft pick. We could always play Prioleau as a SS, too.

Arch will excel under GW and with Taylor backing him up. Prioleau showed he could play both safety positions last season, and will be the primary backup at both spots. B-

FS: B+, The only concern is more depth and Taylor's trial. Prioleau could be a starter if Williams wanted it that way. He proved last season how valuable he is in the secondary by basically playing every position back there. Taylor is a future HOFer, in my opinion, and considering the outlook of his trial, he should be ready to go by fall. He'll have a chip on his shoulder, too.

If Taylor continues to improve, he will be amazing back there. A

CB: B, Rogers became a very solid corner under the radar of most skins fans. We have to consider that after his first few games as a starter, we almost never heard his name. That is, unless it was for an interception or dropped interception. If he progresses like he did last year, we'll be referring to him as All-Pro Carlos Rogers. Springs is solid as always, but has some serious injury concerns and his age isn't helping much. People are sleeping on Kenny Wright, but the guy was a starter on a very solid defense last year. He has measurables and could be fantastic as a fill-in starter. Wright is actually better depth that what we've had the last three years. Moreover, Jimoh finally showed us why he's been on the roster the last couple of years. This guy should be solid in Nickel and Dime packages. Our corners are a lot better than people give them credit for.

Don't forget the new kid Onyegeche, who could turn into a diamond in the rough. Patterson also showed he had some talent in limited action last season. Finally, Prioleau can play here if need be.

Defensive Coaches: A+, Lets see, we have four former coordinators instructing our defensive personnel. One of them has led a team to a superbowl and the others have all had consistent top 10 defenses. Grey is gonna be one of the best additions we've made. I love Lindsey and his no nonsense approach. I love Blache and the fact that he teaches linemen there's more to playing the position than sacking the QB. Williams is the best defensive playcaller in the league, bar-none.

:cheers:

I agree mostly with you, but I think you were purposely grading our guys a little too harshly to avoid being labled a homer. Don't worry...we are that good this season. I just can't wait!! :)

Archived