Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Build a winner thru free agency? It has been done before.

FuriousD

And I thought Gary Clark was a supplimental draft pick by the Skins... Now I have to go check that out.

He came to us after the USFL folded (Jacksonville Bulls). Same with Ricky Sanders (Houston Gamblers) whos QB was Jim Kelly and coach was Jack Pardee.

Joe Gibbs had little choice in 2004 but to come in and acquire some veteran anchors for his team, especially on defense, given the club's poor performance in drafting in the 1990's.

Top draft picks in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 were all underperformers who were released before Gibbs came back to town. Usually, guys in their 6-10th years in the NFL would help to form the core of the team.

We didn't have that.

What we did have was one star player in Champ Bailey that wanted out of town regardless of who the new coach was going to be.

We had another player in LaVar Arrington who had been paid a king's ransom at a position where Super Bowl winners were getting capable performers for a quarter of the money.

We had no defensive line. We had no running game. We had no top flight wide receivers. We had no receiving threat at TE.

And we had no veteran at qb who had ever taken a team to the playoffs.

I think you can build a good starting lineup through free agency. But when you spend on FA which are usually overpriced, it doesn't leave much for depth. This is where the draft comes in. You need to have cheap players from the draft for good depth. If we have some injuries on the o-line this year we are in serious trouble. The otherthing that lways concerns me is that players that teams really want they keep. If a player is really good why would a team let them get to FA. I think alot of FA are fringe 1st tier type players or second tier players that want to be paid like the top tier. I just don't think that you always get the value for the money in FA. i.e. Archuleta became the highest paid safety which he clearly is not the best safety in the league. His teammate is better and how much will he want when he becomes a FA. But I trust G. Williams w/ his personnel decisions, as the defensive acquisitions have been very good for the most part.

most FA's come as the bargin basement varity, less than half are big signing. An overpriced FA is general better value than a expensive rookie (who may not pan out, or leaves after getting experince, s an FA)

it's not all about FA, though, JHair :)

this team is counting on Cooley, Taylor, Rogers, Jansen, Dockery, etc. to make a difference for us in 2006, so the draft does count in there somewhere :laugh:

not to mention the fact that we could see both McIntosh and Kevin Simon make an impact on this team as rookies. the more I read about Simon the more I think he may be the rare ruby of this offseason for the Skins.

and who is backing up Brunell here as the qb of the future? - a former #1 draft pick of the Redskins, Jason Campbell.

the Redskins might not have had as many draft picks as some teams that stockpile picks over and over again, but pick for pick in the early rounds the Skins under Gibbs have acquired players that have started as rookies and made major contributions.

MEL Kauffman

Triptonic is right. - Matt Millen was our 1st and 2nd down MLB, but got hurt and missed the whole post-season. - Kurt Gouviea played quite a bit that year.

Matt Millen was deactivated in SB XXVI because of the Bills no huddle offense.

He was active for both the Atlanta and the Detroit postseason games.

Good post. I agree with it.

Whether it can be done or not is still to be determined. What's clear is that all successful teams in the salary cap have been been for the most part built via the draft, the skillful signing of UDFA's, and the signing of low profile FA's far, far more than they've been built by signing high profile FA's.

the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl after buying their entire offense.

QB- Brad Johnson- free agent.

WR- Keyshawn -trade. McCardell, free agent, Jurevicius, free agent

RBs- Thomas Jones- free agent, Michael Pittman- free agent

TE- Ken Dilger free agent

That is every single skill position player, except Allstott.

OH, and the coach- Jon Gruden bought and traded for.

Simeon Rice- Free agent..

Also, a lot of folks don't know it, but the last time the Patriots won the Super Bowl, they had 23 free agents on a 53 man squad. That's 43% of the team, including big names like Mike Vrabel, Corey Dillon, and Rodney Harrison.

It can be done, it has been done.

~Bang

the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl after buying their entire offense.

QB- Brad Johnson- free agent.

WR- Keyshawn -trade. McCardell, free agent, Jurevicius, free agent

RBs- Thomas Jones- free agent, Michael Pittman- free agent

TE- Ken Dilger free agent

That is every single skill position player, except Allstott.

OH, and the coach- Jon Gruden bought and traded for.

Simeon Rice- Free agent.~Bang Quote

You are correct in you assessment. Tampa was one of the teams I was thinking of that won a SB with alot of FA help.The also had some home grown talent that contributed such as D.Brooks,R.Barber,Sapp,Alstott and Lynch if I am not mistaken.That team was built very similar to the way the Skins are building.

When people say it has not been done, they are speaking in modern times with a salary cap. Pre cap you could buy every player with no consequences.

No, you could not buy players with no consequences. They were even more severe and usually prevented you from even trying.

Archived