Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When does the window close?

Thirtyfive2seven

I thought this deserved its own thread.

I was just thinking about how Mark Brunell is getting older and a lot of us here and in the organization realize that he doesn't have very many seasons left. So I have to ask this question.

When does the window close on the Skins getting back to the Super Bowl? Say we make it to the playoffs this year and lose. Can MB endure another season? And if not, how long will it take Jason Campbell to be ready.

I feel that the windows closes after this season unless MB can play one more year.

What are your thoughts?

:helmet:

Edit: I just think that with all the recent additions to both offense and defense in addition to Al Saunders, that this team is poised to make a run this year.

I think most inexperienced quarterbacks are surrounded with mediocre talent, and that cannot be said for Jason Campbell.

After this year, or maybe even this year (if Brunell gets injured), Campbell could take us to the playoffs. He has the talent around him... :2cents:

My guess is that we have at most 2 more years with Mark Brunell at the helm. I'd then expect a dip in production at that spot in Campbell's first year as the starter but as others have said, there is enough talent around him to make even a mediocre season a competitive one.

I'd bet that Campbell's second season as the starter would open up the window yet again being that the majority of the skill position players on offense are young and locked up long term.

In a sense, you can almost compare Campbell's situation to Ben Roethlisberger's situation in pittsburgh.

Ben Roethlisberger:

1) Noone expected him to be as good as he is as a leader.

2) He got thrown in and did what was necessary to win ball games: He protected the ball.

3) Bill Cowher directed the offense in a way that if Roethlisberger protected the ball and completed high probability passes, he would be successful.

Jason Campbell:

1) He has a year of experience and is a natural leader.

2) He quite possibly could be thrown into a game if Brunell gets hurt.

3) Gibbs isn't dumb - he won't have him throwing 70% of the time. As long as Campbell doesn't make many mental mistakes, then he can be a winner.

So, as you saw with the Steelers last year, they won the SB with a very young QB, with talent around him the way we have talent around JC. Campbell is capable of leading this team to a championship if he is able to play smart. Noone is going to ask him to make huge plays, but to make the simple ones consistently. So in answer to the when the window closes, its not going to close for a long time b/c with Portis, Moss, Cooley et all, and the defense which can win games on its own (See Tampa Bay). Thus, we will be in the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs will fall onto Campbell's shoulders.

:logo:

When did the window close after Joey T? Doug Williams? Remember Mark R, the 6th round draft pick? The door doesn't close with Gibbs - the Redskins are not predicated on the super QB. (In fact, I think Gibbs distains that concept.) It is not a matter of the QB, it is a matter of team play. A knowledgable OT, a strong RB, threat at the WR and TE/H-back, a defense that knows their responsibilities - this is the Gibbs way! Joe will change the game plan to match the strengths of his QB.

The window never closes - sometimes we just don't get enough W's.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I think this year may be Brunell's last shot at winning a Super Bowl as a starter for us, I think Campbell will take over from 2007 at the latest and we will never look back from there.

Never know with injuries though...thats how guys like Warner, Brady, Dilfer, and Roethlisberger got their chances.

The window will not close for another 3+ years.

A. Brunell, if healthy, will start this entire year.

B. Campbell will, at best, see limited playing time this season.

C. Everyone that knows anything only have good things to say about Campbell's abilities: Release, Scrambling, Accuracy as well as a strong, learning oriented football mind. Others have noted his having 4 different offenses to learn over the last 4 years with another HOPEFULLY more consistent one in Saunders' now.......and there is the key.

Al Saunders will undoubtedly make stars out of not only Campbell but also Portis, Moss and Cooley for years to come.

I was just thinking about how Mark Brunell is getting older and a lot of us here and in the organization realize that he doesn't have very many seasons left. So I have to ask this question.

When does the window close on the Skins getting back to the Super Bowl? Say we make it to the playoffs this year and lose. Can MB endure another season? And if not, how long will it take Jason Campbell to be ready.

I feel that the windows closes after this season unless MB can play one more year.

What are your thoughts?

I just think that with all the recent additions to both offense and defense in addition to Al Saunders, that this team is poised to make a run this year.

I hate to burst your bubble but Brunell hasn't been healthy a whole season in over 3 years. So Campbell is going to get some time as the starting QB this season and if he plays well enough, Brunell may not get his job back.

You thought wrong, dude. There are like thirty mark brunell threads going on right now. Unfortunately for all of us, you don't have the courtesy to atleast title the thread "Mark Brunell: When does the window close?" I clicked on this link thinking it would be something new, refreshing, interesting, intelligent, and thought provoking. :doh:

You thought wrong, dude. There are like thirty mark brunell threads going on right now. Unfortunately for all of us, you don't have the courtesy to atleast title the thread "Mark Brunell: When does the window close?" I clicked on this link thinking it would be something new, refreshing, interesting, intelligent, and thought provoking. :doh:

Wow, didn't think it was only about Mark Brunell. You know you can hover your mouse over the topic to get a quick view of the post and if it's not to your liking then please move along.

Back to the discussion please.

Archived