Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason to be optimistic this season

lifetimeskin

We have heard the fine mind's from Espn talk about how we will suffer because of Brunell at the helm, but let me share my :2cents: .........I recently read the article in the breaking news section and realized how well our special teams are coming together. John Eubanks from Southern Miss. defensive back/kick returner, (very nice numbers) and the addition of all of these free agent linebackers with football savvy and smart's, Brunell won't be counted on to lead 80yrd game winning drives, which will help minimize turnovers among other thing's. Brunell looked best when he was inside the oponent's 30yrd line, most of his few pick's came on long drive's. Anytime you start with great field position you also cut down mental mistakes not having to start in the oponents end of the field at our own 15 or so (crowd noise). I think most of us will agree that our biggest concern of Brunell is his lack of accuracy on the deep ball consistently so the shorter the field the better Mark play's and the more options you have on play calling. We know Al Saunders was the best signing of any team this year because not only does he bring exotic offensive formations which will stretch the field and open lanes for our backs he also came from an organization that excells in special team kick returns and you can bet he brought alot of knowledge from K.C., when your whole team is balanced offense,defense and special teams your gonna win ballgames!!! This Eubanks kid look's to have great potential, so Mark doesn't have to be a hero. ;)

brunnell is a good quarterback and is a very good option for us right now. your saying hes not very dependable when we need 80 yrd. drives, but didn't he pretty much show how great he was at that vs. dallas???

Ramsey got picked because he tried to force every single pass. Burnells picks to tds is great and you all know alot of his ints were deflections from are recievers hands. But i am excited about eubanks and mcintosh. Mcintosh is about to have three college degrees, he is smart. Dont get me wrong i like Lemar i think he is a freeak hes in like every damn play but in future you may see mcintosh in the middle. But not this season. And i am excited about Carter he hasn't played this nature position for two years you know he is goin to be excited and full of energy.

Reasons to temper our expectancy:

Brunell

Hall

A real #2 WR

Depth on O-line

Reasons for rose-colored glasses:

Above are the same concerns from last year and we went to the play-offs baby!

Al Saunders - unknown quantity

Deeper D-line

Gibbs - if the team buys IT - Watch Out NFL :point2sky

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

if anything the Redskins now have a pretty deep class at wide receiver :)

Lloyd put up very solid numbers in SF where they had a rookie qb starting, no feature running back and an offensive line that looked like swiss cheese.

what I find really amusing is that the reason people are underestimating Lloyd's impact here is because of his dislike for being on a 4-12 caliber team with Mike Nolan as the HC :laugh:

that is supposed to make him damaged goods at age 24?

funny, at the same time they are toasting the combo of Owens and Glenn in Dallas despite their own histories of spotty behavior and poor sportsmanship.

Deeper D-line

Gibbs - if the team buys IT - Watch Out NFL

I'm pretty sure Al Saunders is a "known" commodity

That's why he turned down several head coaching opportunities

He's as sharp as they get

John Eubanks from Southern Miss. defensive back/kick returner, (very nice numbers)

This Eubanks kid look's to have great potential, so Mark doesn't have to be a hero. ;)

Eubanks looks okay but will be fortunate to make the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure Al Saunders is a "known" commodity

That's why he turned down several head coaching opportunities

Seriously, where do you get this stuff?

Saunders was groomed to be Vermiel's successor... which was subsequently squashed. And the only head coaching vacancy he was a "candidate" for was the Oakland Raiders position.

And he was a "candidate" - the Raiders had about a dozen "candidates" - he wasn't ever offered the position.

Ramsey got picked because he tried to force every single pass. Burnells picks to tds is great and you all know alot of his ints were deflections from are recievers hands. But i am excited about eubanks and mcintosh. Mcintosh is about to have three college degrees, he is smart. Dont get me wrong i like Lemar i think he is a freeak hes in like every damn play but in future you may see mcintosh in the middle. But not this season. And i am excited about Carter he hasn't played this nature position for two years you know he is goin to be excited and full of energy.

Don't even think about it. Lemar's got the MLB position down for years.

John Eubanks was a very good kickoff returner in college, but he will have difficulty making the roster. With Betts, Randle El, Moss, etc on the team, Eubanks will have to do more than just return kickoffs. His CB skills may not be up to par.

I think Eubanks has a chance to make the practice squad, but thats about it his rookie year.

I agree with the general gist of the first post; we should be optimistic because of the team's ability to control the game overall. Gibbs has put a serious emphasis on special teams, making moves like re-signing Rock Cartwright and drafting Reed Doughty (who I hope turns into the new Steve Tasker). The defense is obviously strong and hopefully the special teams will help make things even easier on an improved offense.

Reasons to temper our expectancy:

Brunell

Hall

A real #2 WR

Depth on O-line

Above are the same concerns from last year and we went to the play-offs baby!

Deeper D-line

Gibbs - if the team buys IT - Watch Out NFL :point2sky

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

A real #2 WR will take care of itself...someone will establish that role, and it still may even be Patten. Brunell is Brunell...he looks to wear down as the season goes, but my biggest gripe is that he does not find all his weapons. Al Saunders will look to solve that riddle. As much as the other division teams have improved, I still think the 'Skins could be the best if they can limit the injuries (with luck as well), and sync up offensively ASAP. The defense should be okay, and I hope Joh Hall is recovered. We also need a more consistent punter...aka consistently GOOD, as opposed to consistently inconsistent like FROSTy.

GO 'SKINS

Archived