Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conspiracy Theory re: ESPN's support of Art Monk for HOF

Sonny Joe Hog

I read last year that a group of HOF voters has vowed that until Art Monk is inducted they will block the election of any other wide receiver. I assume they really meant any other WR not named Rice.

Nevertheless, that means that ESPN's favorite motor-mouthed wide receiver, Michael Irvin, won't get in unless Art Monk does. Since ESPN probably wants to make Irvin's candidacy, election, and induction into one long, drawn-out PR opportunity for their network, they need to help get Art Monk in first.

I don't mean to imply in any way that Art Monk should not be elected or would not get in otherwise because he should be and will be elected to the HOF.

Since I managed to wriggle one arm out of this straight-jacket, I thought I'd use the opportunity to type-in my theory for you before the orderlies discover that I got out of it. I hope you enjoy this thread because I may not be starting another one for a while.

Okay, the simple way to debunk this theory is that John Clayton, in 2004, before Michael Irvin was eligible for the Hall of Fame and before he joined ESPN, already spoke out in favor of Art Monk:

-=-=-=-=-=-

The Colorado Springs Gazette

February 1, 2004

Bob Brown finally a Hall of Famer

Milo F. Bryant

The former Washington Redskins wide receiver has been eligible for the Hall for four years. This year marked Monk's fourth year as a finalist, too. But this year, Monk failed to even make the voters' final cut.

The Hall's Board of Selectors cuts the 15 finalists down to 10 and the 10 down to six. Monk's name was left off the list of 10.

"I'm surprised he didn't make it," ESPN.com writer John Clayton said. Clayton is the board's Seattle representative. "I'm surprised he didn't make it to the top 10 - I mean 941 catches?

"Just because (the Redskins) didn't throw to him in the red zone, he still got them to the 10, to the 20. I thought he should have made it, at least more than Bob Hayes. That's one that kind of puzzled me."

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/john-clayton/

Okay, the simple way to debunk this theory is that John Clayton, in 2004, before Michael Irvin was eligible for the Hall of Fame and before he joined ESPN, already spoke out in favor of Art Monk.

1. ESPN executives would not have had a reason to mount a PR campaign around Irvin's candidacy before Irvin became an employee of ESPN and before a group of writers vowed to keep other WR's out until Art Monk is inducted.

2. The opinion that John Clayton expressed in 2004 has nothing to do with the current conspiracy. He may not even be in on it.

3. Don't bother to debate me unless you can do better than that. The voices made more good points than you did.

i think we should just give up and give it a rest. We know these guys hate monk.. I think we need to get him in our ring of fame (if he is, sorry to mention this).. We need to do something like art monk bobble head night at fedex or something..

1. ESPN executives would not have had a reason to mount a PR campaign around Irvin's candidacy before Irvin became an employee of ESPN and before a group of writers vowed to keep other WR's out until Art Monk is inducted.

2. The opinion that John Clayton expressed in 2004 has nothing to do with the current conspiracy. He may not even be in on it.

3. Don't bother to debate me unless you can do better than that. The voices made more good points than you did.

Why exactly did you feel the need to be so rude in your response to DjTj? He didn't insult you. What's up with the internet boxing gloves? You can do better.

i think we should just give up and give it a rest. We know these guys hate monk.. I think we need to get him in our ring of fame (if he is, sorry to mention this).. We need to do something like art monk bobble head night at fedex or something..

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: WHAT GOOD REASON DO YOU HAVE FOR TAKING HIM OUT OF OUR RING OF FAME????? JUST BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE IS SMART ENOUGH TO PUT IM IN THE HALL OF FAME DOESN'T MEAN HE SHOULD BE OUT OF OUR RING OF FAME!!!!

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: WHAT GOOD REASON DO YOU HAVE FOR TAKING HIM OUT OF OUR RING OF FAME????? JUST BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE IS SMART ENOUGH TO PUT IM IN THE HALL OF FAME DOESN'T MEAN HE SHOULD BE OUT OF OUR RING OF FAME!!!!

1. RIF

2. please refrain from typing in all caps. forum rule, and all. ;) thanks.

how would you like it if we repied to you.......

Don't bother to post unless you can be a little less rude and egotistical, Eagles fans are more civil in their replys

ooookkkkay ... not the response I expected.

However, this is my favorite Redskins subject right now, so I'll throw some more wood on the fire.

Mel Kiper in 2002 said that Art Monk should be in the Hall of Fame - that was well before any conspiracy could have started. Sean Salisbury also spoke out in favor of Monk last year, which was the year Irvin got voted out after making the final 6, so I guess that could be part of a conspiracy:

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/08/05/mmqb/

Sports Illustrated SI.com

Monday Morning Quarterback

Monday August 05, 2002

Peter King

a. Memo to Mel Kiper: You say Art Monk should be a lock for the Hall of Fame, and you say you can't figure a single reason why he hasn't been voted in. I'm a voter. Here's why: Monk played 16 NFL seasons. He was All-Pro twice. He led his team in receiving six times in 16 seasons. I covered the Giants in the mid-‘80s, and they respected Gary Clark and feared Clark far more than Monk. Yes, he caught more than 900 balls. In 10 years, he'll be about 15th on the all-time receptions list. Classy guy, wonderful person off the field — but neither of those things can be factored in when we consider qualification for induction. Monk belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not the Hall of Fame.

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb.divisional/

Sports Illustrated SI.com

Monday Morning Quarterback

January 17, 2005

Peter King

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"It's legalized theft, a crime, that Art Monk is not in the Hall of Fame. Those voters ought to be absolutely ashamed of themselves.''

– ESPN football analyst Sean Salisbury.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/peter-king/

Anyways, I think the point I'm trying to make is that most people at ESPN have actually been in favor of Art Monk regardless of any relationship with Michael Irvin. The only person at ESPN really going against Art Monk is Len Pasquarelli, and the more I dig into it, the more I feel like it is a general anti-Redskins bias rather than anything against Monk.

In the campaign to get Monk into the Hall, our real enemies are at Sports Illustrated. If we're going to draw battle lines, ESPN has been very much on our side in the debate. In the big picture though, I guess it really shouldn't matter to us at all whether Art's supporters are members of a conspiracy or not ... I just want to see him in Canton, and I don't really care what other peoples' motives are as long as they share the same goal.

DjTj,

Some people here think I was intentionally rude to you. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I hope you and everyone else will realize that I was just kidding around and I don't believe that there is a conspiracy. And I'm not really in a straight-jacket, either. Get these spiders off of me!!!

Peace and Hail, Brother

the argument being made on ESPN against Monk is that among receivers with comparable numbers, Monk was never feared as a recevier that defensive coordinators had to gameplan against.......that he wasn't feared as a gamebreaker. Don't know if that argument is true or not. But it might be irrelevant. Monk should get in on length of career and numbers alone - let alone that, in the end, his teams won.

DjTj,

Some people here think I was intentionally rude to you. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I hope you and everyone else will realize that I was just kidding around and I don't believe that there is a conspiracy. And I'm not really in a straight-jacket, either. Get these spiders off of me!!!

Peace and Hail, Brother

I think their sarcasm detectors were set on low. I thought it was funny, and figured you were kidding.

Your conspiracy theory is possible, but not probable.

I want Monk in the HOF, but I feel that after this debacle, even when he does make it, it will be a tarnished moment.

Art Monk = Kobe Bryant. = Barry Bonds= many more guys.

Monk was the quiet among the 3. But if u do not give these sports writers interviews they get very petty and evil.

Hall of fame is a joke. Any award given by people who just took journalisim in college is useless. What makes these guys experts on who is great? Just because they got jobs in the industry? Who cares what they think. Most of these guys probaly did not even watch Redskins games.

It is a joke how Micheal Irvin or Art Monk are not in the Hall of fame. They both were the best WR on teams that won mutiple super bowls. That is all u need to know.

the argument being made on ESPN against Monk is that among receivers with comparable numbers, Monk was never feared as a recevier that defensive coordinators had to gameplan against.......that he wasn't feared as a gamebreaker. Don't know if that argument is true or not. But it might be irrelevant. Monk should get in on length of career and numbers alone - let alone that, in the end, his teams won.

who cares if u are feared. Those teams who had Monk catching first downs and touchdowns did not need to fear him. They went home not scared but losers.

Sports writers are such clowns. That is why monday night full will be on mute this yr.

Archived