Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 NFC East - Free Agent Signings

cowboyuptx

Thats not fair at all. People made fun of you guys for signing people like Dieon, and Bruce Smith. Those players were so clearly on the decline it wasn't even funny. You can't compare TO to those guys. No way. Its not the same.

And as far as Vandy goes, I could care less how old a kicker is.

Psst, Jason Fabini ring any bells? This is the guy you tabbed to fix your biggest hole. This on the heels of signing Marco Rivera (34), Drew Bledsoe (34), Anthony Henry (30), Aaron Glenn (34), and Jason Ferguson (32) last year. The fact of the matter is that signing of TO (33) and Vanderjagt (36) mixed with the above and Marcus Coleman (32) gives you a buttload of older players. And as you and I both know older players are more succeptable to injury. This the recipe that Snyder got ripped for, and rightly so. But I'm sure there will be no injury issue or talent drop off since they are donning the star.

Thanks for the feedback and I cant wait to see your top 10.

Well, I wasn't going to do one, cause I thought yours was pretty good, but since you asked, here goes........

1. Terrell Owens/Dal - Still a top WR and will put up the same great numbers.

2. Mike Vanderjagt/Dal - Gives the Cowboys one of the best kickers in the NFL.

3. Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El/Was (tie) - Gives the Skins the WR depth they needed last season.

4. Adam Archuleta/Was - Will surprise alot of people in 2006-07. Gregg Williams wanted Arch and I cant wait to see how he uses him.

5. Lavar Arrington/NYG - If the Giants fit there system around LA he can make plays.

6. Darren Howard/Phi - If he can stay healthy Howard gives the Eagles a double DE threat with Jevon Kearse.

7. Andre Carter/Was - The Redskins have needed a pass rush for years from the DE spot. If Carter can comeback to his old form he can move up this list and really help out the Skins.

8. Sam Madison/NYG - I think Madison has been overrated for a while but people said the same thing about Shawn Springs. Age in ways has made Madison better. Nice vet pickup.

9. Jason Fabini/Dal - A solid pickup who will help out the offensive line

10. Jabar Gaffney/Phi - Gives Philly there best #2 WR they have had in a while. A nice fit with Reggie Brown.

I probably come off as a homer putting 1 and 2 as the cowboys, so I should probably explain.........

TO is TO. yes, he's knucklehead, but he's also the most dominant reciever in the game.

Vandy is the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL, and fills a monstrous need for the cowboys.... Both those guys could be in the HOF someday, I'm not sure you could say the same for anyone else on that list. So thats why they are 1 and 2.

Lloyd/ARE. I don't really think its fair to lump them together, two players for one spot, but whatever. I think they will be a upgrade to what you had. I don't believe those guys are anywhere near as good as what some of you think, as they haven't exactly lit the world on fire in their careers yet, but in the right system, they could definetely be a large threat.

After those 4 guys, who knows, you could rate them just about anyway you wanted.

I can't believe anyone has Owens above #10. Did the Cowboys need help at WR? Bottomline they gambled bigtime to get an improvement in an area they were already strong at. Basically the equivalent of splitting 10s at Blackjack.

#1 Lavar Arrington - The Giants were horrible at OLB, that was there biggest weakness.

#2 Mike Vanderjadt - Huge weakness for the Boys filled by a top kicker

#3 Brandon Lloyd - A trade for a free agent- Solved Redskins biggest weakness

#4 Andre Carter - Showed he is excellent DE, but poor LB - We're playing him at DE

#5 Akin Ayedole - THe Cowboys needed to replace Ngyun got a good LB

#6 Sam Madison- Giants were soft in secondary, Madison could help maybe

#7 Randel-El - If Lloyd doesn't work another chance here

#8 Darren Howard - Eagles blown a couple a high Draft Picks on line in recent years Howard mitigates those mistakes (McDougle)

#9 Jabar Gaffney - Deseperate Need for a WR - Better than what they had - not saying much

# 10 Owens - already explained above

I don't know why everyone downgrades the signing of Carter. In his 1st 2 seasons with SF, he was a DE played at 275lbs and had 12 sacks the first yr and I think (not sure, don't quote me) 7 sacks his second yr.

But he has been playing OLB in the 3-4 defense and has not been asked to rush the QB and playing at 260lbs. He is real excited to be going back to DE "with his hand on the ground" to quote him, which is his natural position.

I'm not saying he's the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White, but he will be a very good addition to an area where we have had trouble generating sacks.

Psst, Jason Fabini ring any bells? This is the guy you tabbed to fix your biggest hole. This on the heels of signing Marco Rivera (34), Drew Bledsoe (34), Anthony Henry (30), Aaron Glenn (34), and Jason Ferguson (32) last year. The fact of the matter is that signing of TO (33) and Vanderjagt (36) mixed with the above and Marcus Coleman (32) gives you a buttload of older players. And as you and I both know older players are more succeptable to injury. This the recipe that Snyder got ripped for, and rightly so. But I'm sure there will be no injury issue or talent drop off since they are donning the star.

I don't know much about Fabini, I admit it. But I know he's got to be better than Pettiti. He just simply has to be. As far as the rest of your list goes.......

Drew Bledsoe.....still younger than Brunell. And not half as injury prone

Henry....was 29 when we got him. Had an outstanding year for us last year before he pulled his groin.

Aaron Glenn......He's a nickle CB. I'd take an older nickel guy than a rookie anyday.

Fergueson....wasn't all he was supposed to be last year. Yes, he's getting older.

TO.....Puhlease. He's in better shape than most 24 year olds in the league and you know it.

Vandy....who cares. He's a kicker. Didn't Morten anderson play when he was 90? he's a kicker.

Coleman?????? Who cares, he's no starter.

Guest santana4prez
I can't believe anyone has Owens above #10. Did the Cowboys need help at WR? Bottomline they gambled bigtime to get an improvement in an area they were already strong at. Basically the equivalent of splitting 10s at Blackjack.

#1 Lavar Arrington - The Giants were horrible at OLB, that was there biggest weakness.

#4 Andre Carter - Showed he is excellent DE, but poor LB - We're playing him at DE

#8 Darren Howard - Eagles blown a couple a high Draft Picks on line in recent years Howard mitigates those mistakes (McDougle)

#9 Jabar Gaffney - Deseperate Need for a WR - Better than what they had - not saying much

You think Keyshawn Johnson is as good as Terrell Owens? Ranking Owens at 10 is absurd. Maybe 3 or 4 but ranking him 10 shows no respect to TOs talents. I hate Terrell Owens just like I hate LaVar Arrington but the bottom line is Terrell Owens is a damn good football player. Anyone thinking he is going to do the same thing he did to San Fran or Philly is wrong. He will cause problems from time to time but anyone who watches TO knows he loves football. I dont under estimate opposing teams players because doing so is what gets teams beat.

Other than that your list is pretty good. I still think placing Akin at #5 is iffy but your rankings are solid. Arrington,Vanderjagt,and Lloyd in my opinion belong in the somewhere in the top 4. No disrespect I like your rankings but TO at #10 is looking more at what jersey he has on/past problems then how good he is.

I think everyone quit reading after you said........."I can't believe anyone has owens higher than a 10".

I think this is a very interesting topic that was well researched and well thought out. I'm glad you posted it, cowboyuptx. Santana4prez's revised list was also a good one.

For those who think a kicker doesn't belong on the list, I'd like to remind you that Mark Moseley won the NFL's Most Valuable Player award one season. Also, the lack of a reliable kicker may have gotten Norv Turner fired. In this league, and especially in a tough division like the NFC East, the lack of a reliable kicker will probably cost a team some critical games. Vanderjagoff belongs high on the list.

Lavar also belongs high on the list because the list is based 50% on ability. If he's healthy, nobody has better physical tools or is more intimidating than LA.

Shame on those of you who trashed cowboyuptx for being a homer. Naturally, he's going to place some of the Cowboys higher on the list than we would, just as we would probably place the Skins higher on the list than he would. I think he made an honest attempt to be impartial.

Those of you who trashed him for being a Cowboys fan, well, try to be a little kinder. I have no problem with him because he's respectful and he's from Dallas where Cowboys fans should come from.

Now, if this same topic had been posted by a Cowboys fan who is from the D.C. area, then I would agree with you that the poster should eat sh*t and die.

Guest santana4prez
I don't know why everyone downgrades the signing of Carter. In his 1st 2 seasons with SF, he was a DE played at 275lbs and had 12 sacks the first yr and I think (not sure, don't quote me) 7 sacks his second yr.

But he has been playing OLB in the 3-4 defense and has not been asked to rush the QB and playing at 260lbs. He is real excited to be going back to DE "with his hand on the ground" to quote him, which is his natural position.

I'm not saying he's the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White, but he will be a very good addition to an area where we have had trouble generating sacks.

I agree the only reason I had Carter at #9 was because of his last 2 seasons. If he comes back to playing the way he did at DE he will easily move up my list. I feel the same way you do about Carter about my boy Archuleta. Gregg Williams has a plan for Arch and I cant wait til he steps on the field in 2006-07.

Most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL.

Chew on that for a while. If you guys had picked him up, you'd be dancing in the street and you know it.

a large number of his kicks have been indoors...He's a solid kicker, but I think Adam V is better...I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we picked him up...but then again we didnt lose too many games because of kicking...

Who said the Colts are going to win the superbowl because they signed Vinny? You're trying to change my argument because you know your wrong.

You are underrating the importance of a kicker. Wait a second..........your not really Bill Parcells are you??????? :D

Insanity: doing/saying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I give up.

He's the best kicker in the league and you will win super bowls and lots of close games because of your kicker.

I can't wait to roll the girls 35-0 again.

I don't know much about Fabini, I admit it. But I know he's got to be better than Pettiti. He just simply has to be. As far as the rest of your list goes.......

Drew Bledsoe.....still younger than Brunell. And not half as injury prone

Henry....was 29 when we got him. Had an outstanding year for us last year before he pulled his groin.

Aaron Glenn......He's a nickle CB. I'd take an older nickel guy than a rookie anyday.

Fergueson....wasn't all he was supposed to be last year. Yes, he's getting older.

TO.....Puhlease. He's in better shape than most 24 year olds in the league and you know it.

Vandy....who cares. He's a kicker. Didn't Morten anderson play when he was 90? he's a kicker.

Coleman?????? Who cares, he's no starter.

All true but you also fail to mention that while TO has the body of a 24 year old his last full season was 5 years ago and it was his only one in 8 years.

As for Vanderjagt, the only issue I have with him is that his leg strength is starting to decline but he is still a top 3 kicker in the league. Personally I think this was your best move of the offseason because you not only addressed a glaring need but did it with a very good player.

As for Bledsoe being younger than Brunell, so what? I wasn't all that happy when we signed Brunell.

Again, the biggest problem with these guys is that they are much more succeptable to injury meaning that you are going to have to play your depth a lot more frequently and as we have already seen your depth on the o-line stinks. That and the fact that your biggest splash didn't address a need. I see exactly the same as Snyder's signing of Deion.

Insanity: doing/saying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I give up.

He's the best kicker in the league and you will win super bowls and lots of close games because of your kicker.

I can't wait to roll the girls 35-0 again.

Not to be a jerk, but your member name is thirtyfive2seven, so you think you'd realize that we didn't beat them 35-0. ;)

a large number of his kicks have been indoors...He's a solid kicker, but I think Adam V is better...I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we picked him up...but then again we didnt lose too many games because of kicking...

Viniteri is great, no doubt. But if you can't have Vini, I'd take Vandy in a heartbeat.

Last year, everytime we'd line up for a 20 yarder, you were on the edge of your seat. It was brutal. We coulda had more luck with some local high school soccer players than the guys we trotted out there.

So obviously I'm excited to have a "real" kicker on the squad.

I think everyone quit reading after you said........."I can't believe anyone has owens higher than a 10".

I think you failed to see the point. TO is better, much better than Keyshawn. But the Cowboys already had a very good receiving corps. To make their WR Corps even better they risk blowing up the whole team. I take it you are one of those guys who think splitting 10s at the Blackjack table is a good idea (I'll give you a against a five since it is TO).

Viniteri is great, no doubt. But if you can't have Vini, I'd take Vandy in a heartbeat.

Last year, everytime we'd line up for a 20 yarder, you were on the edge of your seat. It was brutal. We coulda had more luck with some local high school soccer players than the guys we trotted out there.

So obviously I'm excited to have a "real" kicker on the squad.

Yeah, but you also have to remember what kind of guy Vandy is. I can understand TO's attitude, he's an all-time all-pro receiver. I know Vandy has the best percentage ever, but that makes him an elite KICKER.

Kickers have no reason to have any ego problems. The only one who I could even think of to make a case for would be Moseley; he was the friggin' MVP which no other kicker ever has been, and TO hasn't been one, either. But, Mark was a Gibbs guy, so that couldn't have happened, anyway.

Again, the biggest problem with these guys is that they are much more succeptable to injury meaning that you are going to have to play your depth a lot more frequently and as we have already seen your depth on the o-line stinks. That and the fact that your biggest splash didn't address a need. I see exactly the same as Snyder's signing of Deion.

I certainly can't argue that the older a player is, the more suseptable to injury he is. No doubt about it.

As far as depth goes, we're probably not as bad off as you might think. Our O-line is by far the weakest part of our team, but as far as depth, its not too bad. You figure Pettiti is not a starter anymore, he's a backup. He had a full season of playing, so you always like to see that in a backup. Granted, he wasn't good as a starter, but I suppose its better than not playing. Word has it that he is in alot better shape now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Gurode as guard/center. Actually pretty decent as a backup.

Maybe I'm reaching a bit on the offensive line, but hell, I can't think of too many teams that have real good depth anymore with the salary cap and all.

I wouldn't say our biggest splash didn't address a need. If your talking about TO that is. I liked Keyshawn, great hands too, but he certainly didn't make defenses worry too much about him because of his non existant speed. TO will give you size, strenght, speed, but more importantly he gives you an attitude on offense. SOmthing this team hasn't had in years.

Personally, I think our "Biggest need" on our team was kicker. We lost 3 games because of missed 30 yarders or under last year. Our kickers STUNK.

I certainly can't argue that the older a player is, the more suseptable to injury he is. No doubt about it.

As far as depth goes, we're probably not as bad off as you might think. Our O-line is by far the weakest part of our team, but as far as depth, its not too bad. You figure Pettiti is not a starter anymore, he's a backup. He had a full season of playing, so you always like to see that in a backup. Granted, he wasn't good as a starter, but I suppose its better than not playing. Word has it that he is in alot better shape now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Gurode as guard/center. Actually pretty decent as a backup.

Maybe I'm reaching a bit on the offensive line, but hell, I can't think of too many teams that have real good depth anymore with the salary cap and all.

I wouldn't say our biggest splash didn't address a need. If your talking about TO that is. I liked Keyshawn, great hands too, but he certainly didn't make defenses worry too much about him because of his non existant speed. TO will give you size, strenght, speed, but more importantly he gives you an attitude on offense. SOmthing this team hasn't had in years.

Personally, I think our "Biggest need" on our team was kicker. We lost 3 games because of missed 30 yarders or under last year. Our kickers STUNK.

I'm very curious to see how Vandy kicks in the East--not in that punk-ass no-wind dome he had in Indy. How's he gonna kick when the winds are swirling? How's he gonna kick under pressure? How many pressure kicks did he even have to make in Indy? They were typically up by 2 tds or more. The one pressure kick we saw was schanked about as badly as a kick can be. So, IMHO opinion, the jury is still out on Vandy.

WR was in no way the cowboys top need and how can you say a player who has been shown the door effectivlty twice in three years and sat out most of last year the best FA.

Is it dificult to see in silver and blue?

I'd assume he thinks that cause he is the best WR in the NFL.

Dont just tell me I'm a homer and I'm wrong............ back it up with some substance, if you want me to take you seriously.

Why dont you think Akin should be at #5?

From what I've seen and read of him, he's pretty darn good and this was a major need for the Cows.

Only 1 dallas signing in the top 10?

And y'all call me a homer, at least I put 3 Skins in there.

Our best signing was Al Saunders.

Archived