Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 NFC East - Free Agent Signings

cowboyuptx

As far as emmitt goes, I hear that alot about how it was all his offensive line, and I always answer with this question.......Gesek, Gogan, Stepnoski, Williams, and Allen. Those were his offensive lineman for the better part of his carreer. Outside of Allen, how many of those guys are even going to get "a look" at the HOF? And I"m not saying get into the HOF, I"m talking about just "A look". Only Allen will get in.

Emmitt averaged 3.5 yards per carry his last year at Arizona. 935 total yards. Pretty impressive at his age, and on that line.

Don't take anything away from Emmitt, he's earned it.

I'm not one of the Emmitt bashers. I actually got to see him play in high school (I lived in Florida at the time and was across state visiting a friend). I threw a shoe at the TV when you guys took him in the draft. Emmitt had what most truly great players have and that is great vision. I liken it to being a good driver. A lot of drivers only pay attention to the car in front of them or the next to them. Great drivers know exactly what every car on the road is doing. That was Emmitt. He wasn't the fasted or biggest but he figured out where to run each play extremely quickly. He was obviously helped by the great line but he would have made the HOF with your current line. I will probably start a tangential debate here but I would take him 100 times out of 100 over Barry Sanders.

As for your line only having two HOFers that's all the Hogs had and they will go down in history as one of the greatest in history. You don't have to have 5 great lineman to be a great line. There is great debate about things like the type of QB needed to win a SB or WRs but the one big constant in all SB winners is a very good to great offensive line.

As for your line only having two HOFers that's all the Hogs had and they will go down in history as one of the greatest in history. You don't have to have 5 great lineman to be a great line. There is great debate about things like the type of QB needed to win a SB or WRs but the one big constant in all SB winners is a very good to great offensive line.

You said it. I'd take a great line over a great QB every day of the week. It ain't even close.

I remember the kick against pittsburgh that was shanked. But I can't think of any others. I can't say I watch a whole lotta Colts games though. Where else has he choked?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20040909_IND@NE

Even though this was regular season,it was still against the team you were likely battling for homefield advantage in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/playoffs/news/2000/12/30/vanderjagt_miss_ap/

Then you have the previously mentioned shank vs Pittsburgh,so that's three pressure kicks I've found so far.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vandy was a great pickup for you guys. Especially the way your team(and sadly my Redskins too) has struggled with their kicking game.

I wouldn't write the kicker position off as easily as some fans here have. Where would New England be without Vinatieri ??

Guest santana4prez

I dont like all the Skins fans bashing Vandy. Its the type of kicker who misses some clutch ones who can redeem himself and kick a GW vs us. Dont get to carried away bashing Vandy because I remember at work I was bashing Vinny Testaverde and what did he do in 2004? Karma is a ***** and I dont want any of it. I remember a game on SNF where Vandy make a couple kicks in the snow. Does anyone remember this?

http://nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=25893

hit 54- and 51-yard FGs at Denver 11/24/02 to join Biasucci (vs. Miami 9/25/88) as only Colts to have 2 50+ boots in one game ... 54-yarder marked career-long and came with :03 left to tie contest, then 51-yarder 5:38 into OT provided 23-20 win ... 51-yard winner marked 2nd-longest game-deciding FG in Colts history (52, Mike Cofer at NYJ 9/10/95) ..

The guy has missed some kicks and the Steeler game was the worst kick by a kicker I have ever seen where the ball didnt get blocked but Vandy can also make some clutch kicks as well. I remember this game because I couldnt believe he made em. Hopefully the Skins are up by more than 3 but if the Cowboys are at the 35 yd line or closer trust me I will be a little nervous.

If your going to bash players bash the ones who are suspect and Vandy isnt one of em.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20040909_IND@NE

Even though this was regular season,it was still against the team you were likely battling for homefield advantage in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/playoffs/news/2000/12/30/vanderjagt_miss_ap/

Then you have the previously mentioned shank vs Pittsburgh,so that's three pressure kicks I've found so far.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vandy was a great pickup for you guys. Especially the way your team(and sadly my Redskins too) has struggled with their kicking game.

I wouldn't write the kicker position off as easily as some fans here have. Where would New England be without Vinatieri ??

Here is a qoute from the Pats game......

..."that forced Mike Vanderjagt to attempt a potential game-tying field goal from 48 yards. It went wide right, the first miss by Vanderjagt after 42 successes. "

Damn near a 50 yarder after 42 successes in a row.

Good enough for me. Kickers are going to miss them from time to time. All I can say is he is worlds better than what we've had.

From the contradiction department:

In reference to Sanatana Moss:

"The 627 yards in 8 games sounds impressive, but take out the one monster game against the Giants and his stats look like this.........

7 games 467 yards."

When this same logic is applied to TO:

"Are you serious? First of all, using your formula above is nonsense. He didn't play last year at the 2nd half of the season, didn't play the year before most of the sencond half because of injury"

Comparing Moss and Glenn:

"I won't debate that moss is better than glenn. I think they were the same player their whole careers"

and then

"I don't suppose it matters that I never compared Glenn to Moss here or anywhere on here did I? In fact, I said Moss was better. But don't let facts get in the way of your post." (Just an FYI - you contradict yourself in the same sentence)

When talking about Jason Capbell

"Now who's a homer? Yes ladies and gentleman, the future of the Washinton Redskins.........Jason Campbell."

"I never said he didn't have potential"

Talking about the line and the Crackboys paltry running game:

"A little more than 1/2 yard per carry is what Washington averaged more than Dallas...Our RB and O-line is far superior to Dallas's. Yet you only average a half yard per carry more?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, tough guy. I never said half a yard isn't alot over the course of a season. It is. I never said it wasn't alot. I didn't even imply it."

That's just a few of them...if I had more time I could sit here and find more...

From the contradiction department:

In reference to Sanatana Moss:

"The 627 yards in 8 games sounds impressive, but take out the one monster game against the Giants and his stats look like this.........

7 games 467 yards."

When this same logic is applied to TO:

"Are you serious? First of all, using your formula above is nonsense. He didn't play last year at the 2nd half of the season, didn't play the year before most of the sencond half because of injury"

Comparing Moss and Glenn:

"I won't debate that moss is better than glenn. I think they were the same player their whole careers"

and then

"I don't suppose it matters that I never compared Glenn to Moss here or anywhere on here did I? In fact, I said Moss was better. But don't let facts get in the way of your post." (Just an FYI - you contradict yourself in the same sentence)

When talking about Jason Capbell

"Now who's a homer? Yes ladies and gentleman, the future of the Washinton Redskins.........Jason Campbell."

"I never said he didn't have potential"

Talking about the line and the Crackboys paltry running game:

"A little more than 1/2 yard per carry is what Washington averaged more than Dallas...Our RB and O-line is far superior to Dallas's. Yet you only average a half yard per carry more?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, tough guy. I never said half a yard isn't alot over the course of a season. It is. I never said it wasn't alot. I didn't even imply it."

That's just a few of them...if I had more time I could sit here and find more...

]

1. Where is the contradiction on the TO, Moss thing. I said you can't compare a player who didn't play vs one that did.

2. I still never compared Moss to Glen. I made one simple statement. Glenns career and how he was used in his career are very similar to how Moss is used now". Small, undersized guys with big time speed. There is a difference between a statement, and an in depth comparison. DUH.

3. Do you see where I blasted JC, then said "He doesn't have potential? NO.

4. Where do I say 1/2 wasn't alot??? Where??? YOU CAN'T FIND IT CAN YOU? Of course not, cause I didn't say it. What I said, was for someone who says "Crackboys Paltry running game", I showed you how they weren't Head and Shoulders better. I never said they weren't better, I was making a point to you that the way you describe the cowboys running game was stupid, because after all our injuries, lack of talent at the rb postion and the way you laugh at our line, and you only averaged a half yard per carry more.

You have spent the last hour looking through my posts, and have yet to find a contradiction. Everything you yanked out of there to show me was taken out of context at best, and yet the closest thing you can come up with of a contradiction was when I compared Moss/Glenn?????? And it was just a statement to the fact that they have similar styles???????

You need to run, don't walk to your local community college and enroll yourself in a nice reading comprehension class. Start small.....reading 101 would be way too advanced for you, I would stick with the 099 classes and work your way up.

Ok here's my list...

1.Brandon Lloyd - By far and away our biggest need on the entire team.

2.Terrell Owens - The only reason he is not ranked number 1 is because he is a headcase. TO IS that much better than Keyshawn. Last year Dallas didnt have a legitimate #1. Now they do.

3.LaVar Arrington - Got him at a real good price and will be a huge upgrade over the OLBs they had last season.

4.Andre Carter - This guy was starting to become a great player until injuries and Mike Nolan happened. Was the no.7th pick not too long ago.

5.Mike Vanderjagt - I wouldnt rank this guy this high but considering what Dallas had last year I had to put him up here. Yes, I know he has the best field goal % in history but he was playing inside a dome. He also isnt clutch. I think that that kick against Pittsburgh is gonna haunt him. I mean that wasnt even within 15 yards!

6. Adam Archuleta - This guy is a huge upgrade over Ryan Clark. I know the fans here love the overachieving Clark but he was a major weakness in our defense last year. Everytime there was big play, it seemed like he was involved somehow. From LT running him over to Darrell Jackson catching the first TD off of him in the playoff game.

7. Sam Madison - Not the same player he once used to be. Overrated IMO. Not much different than Will Allen. I find it weird that the Dolphins let him go and turn around and sign Allen.

8. Akin Ayodele - I think the Dallas Cowboys are overrating him a bit. This guy is still young yet the Jaguars did not even try to resign the guy.

9. Darren Howard - Injured all last season and is on downside of his career.

10.Antwaan Randle-El - Wasnt a good second option but a great third option(which he will be in skins' offense). Can be used in a lot of different ways. Also dramatically improves our returning game, which was poor last season.

There is my $.02. :)

4. Where do I say 1/2 wasn't alot??? Where??? YOU CAN'T FIND IT CAN YOU? Of course not, cause I didn't say it. What I said, was for someone who says "Crackboys Paltry running game", I showed you how they weren't Head and Shoulders better. I never said they weren't better, I was making a point to you that the way you describe the cowboys running game was stupid, because after all our injuries, lack of talent at the rb postion and the way you laugh at our line, and you only averaged a half yard per carry more.

Except that a half yard (.58 to be exact) is head-and-shoulders better and the fact that your ypc was actually better after all your injuries sort of defeats your argument on that point. You also said "ONLY" a half yard better in your original argument so that defeats your later explanation that you never it wasn't a lot. As an example, you can't say "he is only a half foot taller which is a lot." Doesn't quite make sense.

TO is definitely the best free agent signing in the NFC east by far...for US! I cannot wait until he gets in Bledsoe's face on the sideline during a game. The second most anticipated moment for me will be when he gets interviewed and says he wishes the cowboys had McNabb for their starting QB... :laugh:

TO only averages about 4 catches for 54 yards against us in his career including SF

Good find, I knew T.O. struggled against us. Our secondary should be better w/ A.A. and Carlos has shown some good things and seems to be a good #2 corner and in 1 more year he could be a #1. So T.O. will be in for a LOONGGG SEASON! :dallasuck

Even if they did sign 20 great free agents, it really doesn't matter b/c it comes down to coaching and we got the division beat w/ our staff and w/ the addition of Al Saunders this should be a GREAT SEASON for the skins. :dallasuck :logo: :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

And who should be taken off to make room for them?

ARE and Archuletta?

BTW, I've taken your advice and bumped Howard up 1 spot to #8.

A kicker should not of been number 1. Kicker is important but not that important.

Adam Archuletta fits best in this defense as he compliments a cover safety in sean taylor. Antwaan Randle El will catch 25 Balls this season for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and complete one or two touchdown passes. Then once every year he might return one kick or punt return.

Akin Adoyle is a borderline good linebacker which is no diss. Though he should be lower if not even on the list considering you drafted a linebacker who can contribute immediatly in Bobby Carpenter. Terrell Owens is a great wide reciever and is the best in this division. But I will warn you he never has "AWESOME!!!" success with Sean Taylor in the secondary. Though he was still a great signing.

Just throwing points across....Here are my Free Agent Signing Grades

Redskins- (A)

Eagles- (B-)

Cowboys- (B)

Giants- (A-)

TO only averages about 4 catches for 54 yards against us in his career including SF

We've gone over this at least 20 times on here. Yes, TO hasn't had huge games against you, but you have to remember that TO commands so much attention, it leaves other people open to beat you. Didn't Todd Pinkson light you up for like 150 yards one game even though TO had only 30 yards or so?

Even if TO isn't having a big game, his presense allows many other people contribute at a higher level.

Except that a half yard (.58 to be exact) is head-and-shoulders better and the fact that your ypc was actually better after all your injuries sort of defeats your argument on that point. You also said "ONLY" a half yard better in your original argument so that defeats your later explanation that you never it wasn't a lot. As an example, you can't say "he is only a half foot taller which is a lot." Doesn't quite make sense.

Maybe you're right. I'm a big enough of a man to admit it if I made a mistake. But I certainly don't think it was an error of a big enough magnitude for Riggo to call me out on it, or for him to waste an afternoon looking up my past posts.

What I was trying to do was make a point, that even though we were a little more than 1/2 yard below you per carry, you at least have to give me this.......

As much abuse as I have to take on here about how bad our offensive line is compared to yours, and how much better Portis is than Julius/Barber combo, even you have to admit that the 1/2 yard isn't that bad.

If you don't give me that, then we'll just agree to disagree.

I'm very curious to see how Vandy kicks in the East--not in that punk-ass no-wind dome he had in Indy. How's he gonna kick when the winds are swirling? How's he gonna kick under pressure? How many pressure kicks did he even have to make in Indy? They were typically up by 2 tds or more. The one pressure kick we saw was schanked about as badly as a kick can be. So, IMHO opinion, the jury is still out on Vandy.

This arguement doesn't hold water.........

Actually, Vanderjagt is just as accurate outdoors (on the road, 91.7%), as he his indoors (in a dome, 92.3%). Though I must admit, he shanked the hell outta that last kick!:doh:

However, he's still an elite kicker and an immeasurable upgrade, compared to what Dallas had at the position last year.

Man I hate it when teams blame a kicker for a loss. A kicker should never be in the position to make or miss a game-winning field goal. I think. I don't know. Whatever. Offenses and defenses should do their jobs. I think.

Confidence is overrated.

For those who question the Vanderjagt signing as a big deal........

As I've said before, the Cowboys kickers were a combined 70%, that's horrible. Zero game-winning FG's!

All the FG's they missed were makable and most of those misses greatly effected the outcome of the game. How many other teams used 3 different FG kickers last year? Nobody....

Just for the record........

Billy Cundiff - 3 Missed FG's in 2005 (5-8)

Only 2-5 on FG's 30-39 yards.

vs. Denver - missed late FG of 35 yards - Lost in OT 21-24

@ Washington - missed FG of 37 yards - Lost 35-7 (wouldn't have mattered)

@ Carolina - Missed FG of 31 yards - Won 24-20 (an extra 3 would've been nice)

Jose Cortez - 5 Missed FG's in 2005 (7-12)

3-6 on FG's 40 yards or more

vs. Washington - Missed FG of 40 yards in 2nd half - Lost 13-14 (I'll spare us all)

@ Seattle - Missed 4th qtr. FG of 25 yards - Lost 10-13 (this game should've been over!)

vs. NYG - Missed 2 FG's of 41 and 43 yards - Won in OT 16-13

I'll spare you the "if we had Vandy last year, blah, blah, blah" talk, cause there's no use cryin' over spilled milk. However, its pretty obvious this was a major need for us and now its not. I just wanted everyone to really see, how truely putrid the Dallas kicking game was last year.

That's just funny - you've made my day. Your delusions run deep. Do you read your constantly backpedalling posts?

You signed two of the biggest head cases in the NFL - Ayodele was gladly let go from the Jags, as was Fabini from the Jets!

Here's some word coming out of the Jags camp: They were only too happy to Ayodele walk. Same with Fabini and the Jets.

:dallasuck

Plus despite his success in Indy... they let him walk, even before they thought they had a chance to sign Adam V. He also has kicked mainly in a dome stadium, and in the AFC south (fair weather teams) Kicking in the open and sometime bad weather NFC East stadiums will not be as easy.

I guess Lloyd's no good then. He was traded from the team with the worst WR core in the NFL, for a 3rd round pick.

By y'alls logic, if the worst team in the NFL doesn't want him, he cant be any good, so the same goes for Andre Carter. The Rams must think Archuletta sucks, "they let him walk".

PLEASE........ All free-agents who switched teams, had to have been "let go" by their previous team, in some form or fashion. This is a pretty weak way to try and downgrade a player.

it was 4 in the morning and you expected a debate? :yikes:

LOL.:laugh:

So really you don't know a lot about him (akin ayodele), yet you are ready to proclaim him one of the best FA signings.

Well, I never said I dont know anything about the dude.

I've actually seen him play twice in person;

Richland High vs. MacArthur High 1995 (Birdville Coliseum, Haltom City, TX)

L.D. Bell High vs. MacArthur High 1996 (Texas Stadium, Iriving, TX) His team won both games. He's the only Jaguar to ever record 100+ tackles in 4 straight years (his first 4). He was a DE at Purdue, yet he's versitile enough to play ILB or OLB in the NFL and he's a prototype LB for a 3-4 defense. Even while playing in Jacksonville, his primary residence was in Dallas. Now he can play where he lives. Finally, he was Jacksonvilles nominee for the Walter Payton Man of The Year award in 2003.

LB is not a major need for the cowboys they are loaded with LBs, and drafted one #1. This guy will probably at most be in a rotation, only playing certain downs. He may even be just a backup.

You can never have too many LB's, especially when you play in the 3-4.

I assure you, Akin will be a starter! Carpenter was drafted strictly to start and play SOLB, Akin will start at ILB.

Ranking a kicker #1 is just plain silly. Though the pokes need a kicker.... it is still just a kicker!!!! a part time specialist (and he doesn't even kick off) While he may win a game or two.... listing him above all starting everydown players is a croc. Not to mention that he has almost as much baggage with him as TO. Plus despite his success in Indy... they let him walk, even before they thought they had a chance to sign Adam V. He also has kicked mainly in a dome stadium, and in the AFC south (fair weather teams) Kicking in the open and sometime bad weather NFC East stadiums will not be as easy.

Please refer to my 2 prior posts.

Also guys like Madison (NYG) are huge signings and is even bigger than signing tubby.. I mean LaVar for them. There DBs last season were horrible. And I agree with Tom, Demp maybe the best of the giants signings when it is said and done.

I put Madison at #4 and Lavar at #6...........so who you disagreeing with there?

Andre Carter not in the top ten :doh: The biggest area of need for the skins defense has been a pass rushing DE, and we signed one of the best available and is just hitting his prime. He is the biggest Skins pickup. Llyod was a trade not a FA, and ARE is a bigger signing because of his versatility as a WR, trick plays, backup QB, punt returner. And another big signing for need was blocking TE, and we got one of the best in the game in Fauria.

I agree, it was a big need for y'all, but Carter aint been **** lately. I'm not saying he wont help y'all, but I'm skeptical. For me, it was either him or Archuletta at #10. Even though Carter's a bigger need, I think Arch is alot closer to being a top safety, than Carter is to ever being a top DE.

As for ARE, we just disagree. Fauria.....:doh:

I think this is a very interesting topic that was well researched and well thought out. I'm glad you posted it, cowboyuptx. Santana4prez's revised list was also a good one.

For those who think a kicker doesn't belong on the list, I'd like to remind you that Mark Moseley won the NFL's Most Valuable Player award one season. Also, the lack of a reliable kicker may have gotten Norv Turner fired. In this league, and especially in a tough division like the NFC East, the lack of a reliable kicker will probably cost a team some critical games. Vanderjagoff belongs high on the list.

Lavar also belongs high on the list because the list is based 50% on ability. If he's healthy, nobody has better physical tools or is more intimidating than LA.

Shame on those of you who trashed cowboyuptx for being a homer. Naturally, he's going to place some of the Cowboys higher on the list than we would, just as we would probably place the Skins higher on the list than he would. I think he made an honest attempt to be impartial.

Those of you who trashed him for being a Cowboys fan, well, try to be a little kinder. I have no problem with him because he's respectful and he's from Dallas where Cowboys fans should come from.

Now, if this same topic had been posted by a Cowboys fan who is from the D.C. area, then I would agree with you that the poster should eat sh*t and die.

I really did try to be impartial. Thanks for the postive feedback!

Hail to you! Sonny Joe Hog

:allhail::allhail:

Anyone who thinks kickers don't play a significant impact on thier team needs to have their head examined. Without a solid kicker, the patriots could have won only 1 superbowl. Not saying they would've, but defintely could've.

With the state of the NFL nowadays, kickers play a HUGE roll. More and more games are coming down to the wire.

Mark Mosley and Kirk Knight come to mind, both were very important to the Redskins success. Morton Anderson, and George Blanda also bring back some memories. Never underrate the effectiveness of a good kicker, they can be crucial.

Archived