Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick Mel Kiper Tidbits

Riggo#44

On Rocky:

Kevin (Manassas): I know there is not much to talk about as far as the Redskins go with the draft, but what do you think of Rocky McIntosh, was he worth trading up for?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: (1:34 PM ET ) McIntosh is a very experienced, reliable, consistent player. I don't know about his upside and he may not be a WOW type player who makes highlight plays. But that's not what they want. They want a guy who knows he system and plays within it, who is fundamentally solid, and without the trade they would not have gotten him. And DeMeco Ryans would have also been off the board, so I like what they did there.

On the Crackwhores:

Ricky (Baltimore): Mel, What did you think of the Cowboys' top two choices, Carpenter and Fasano? Why spend the 2nd-round pick on a backup TE when they had needs at S and OL? Are the two O-linemeen they picked up late any good?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: (1:36 PM ET ) Fasano is a good football player and I understand why they did it, but not addressing FS is a risky move. They are very questionable there and lost games because teams went over the top on them, and they need a guy who can cover back there to complement Roy Williams. I wasn't crazy about the lack of OL help early, either.

:dallasuck

i like the fact that kiper says we wouldn't have got him without the trade. hopefully all the draft "experts" on the board will catch this post and stop whining about the trade :2cents:

All you need to do is look at all of the linebackers that were taken before we moved up. There was a run on them, all I kept seeing was OLB,OLB,OLB on the pick board. We had to move up when we did, or everyone on the target board would have been gone! If there was not a run like that, we would have been sitting pretty with our pick. Life and the draft is not always that simple or cut and dry.

Me likey our draft and I really like what we did after the draft. There is a lot of value there. I would bet 3-4 at least from our draft this year will be impact players in the coming years. They just need good coaching and we have that!!

I don't understand why Mel is the only draft guru in the nation that continues to say that the Cowboys did not adress FS in the draft. All the other 'experts' say that they expect Watkins to compete for a starting job.

Any Cowboy fan can tell you that they were elated that Watkins fell to the 5th, and Ireland said they had him rated as a third rounder which is why the moved up for him. I think he ends up starting this year at FS, the mans a beast. 6'5 with a 41 inch vertical and a good 40, he certainly has the measurables.

I don't understand why Mel is the only draft guru in the nation that continues to say that the Cowboys did not adress FS in the draft. All the other 'experts' say that they expect Watkins to compete for a starting job.

Any Cowboy fan can tell you that they were elated that Watkins fell to the 5th, and Ireland said they had him rated as a third rounder which is why the moved up for him. I think he ends up starting this year at FS, the mans a beast. 6'5 with a 41 inch vertical and a good 40, he certainly has the measurables.

What about the O-line - that I think is the biggest question mark.

I'll tell you why I know Rocky is going to be a perfect fit here in D.C....NFL Network interviewed Gibbs on day one of the draft after we picked him and Gibbs came right out and said he was the guy we wanted all along, we moved up to get him because we didn't think he would be available at pick #53. When Joe and the rest of the coaching staff evaluate a guy as someone who will fit into the system and single him out, then we have our man. Anyone who disagrees with this pick is a fool. Outside LB was a weakness and we filled it with the best player available, end of story.

Maybe it's because no actual GM was elated that Watkins fell to the 4th. This would be like Redskins fans claiming we addressed our need at DT (if we had a hole there) with DT Anthony Montgomery.

I have to agree, they still havent found an adequate replacement for Larry Allan , and I dont know what quality free agents are left. Because of their swiss cheese line, I see Bledsoe making a lot of bad throws, thus spurring the flame that starts the inferno in Dallas between T.O. and Bledsoe.

Please GOD let the Cowboys start a 5th round rookie at FS this year. Amen.

Why on god's green earth would you want a FS that stands 6'5"? Might as well put manute bol out there.

Shows the brokebacks are afraid everyone will be going Literally "over the top on them"

Cause he runs a 4.47 40

It most certainly is. However, its not as bad as you guys like to make it out to be. We were 7-3 before Flozell went down. Then put in a bum in Torrin Tucker. Even your guy got 4 sacks on him, I don't remember his name. He had 6 sacks all year and 4 of them came against Torrin Tucker. C'mon, that dude stunk.

Well Torrin Tucker is longer a cowboy, and Flozell is back. Larry Allen was a shell of what he once was, so Kyle Kossier will replace him. I don't know much about Kyle Kossier, but if he is average, he will replace Larry Allen fine.

Finally there is Rob Pettiti. 6th round rookie last year. Gave up more sacks than anyone in the league. He is now a second stringer behind Jason Fabini. Fabini is solid, no all star mind you, but solid.

Our line does have the most questionmarks on it than any other area on the team, but its not half as bad as you guys make it out to be.

Remember, our first meeting together, you had 0 sacks.

Well if someone couldn't compete with Keith Davis then they shouldn't be in the NFL anyway....I bet you your boy Periault could cover better than Davis.

It most certainly is. However, its not as bad as you guys like to make it out to be. We were 7-3 before Flozell went down. Then put in a bum in Torrin Tucker. Even your guy got 4 sacks on him, I don't remember his name. He had 6 sacks all year and 4 of them came against Torrin Tucker. C'mon, that dude stunk.

Well Torrin Tucker is longer a cowboy, and Flozell is back. Larry Allen was a shell of what he once was, so Kyle Kossier will replace him. I don't know much about Kyle Kossier, but if he is average, he will replace Larry Allen fine.

Finally there is Rob Pettiti. 6th round rookie last year. Gave up more sacks than anyone in the league. He is now a second stringer behind Jason Fabini. Fabini is solid, no all star mind you, but solid.

Our line does have the most questionmarks on it than any other area on the team, but its not half as bad as you guys make it out to be.

So Jason Fabini is better than Larry Allen now? Sure. Kyle Kosier would do just fine? Right. And Tyson Walter is going to be in the Pro Bowl. :laugh:

Please GOD let the Cowboys start a 5th round rookie at FS this year. Amen.

Best response yet. Moss ate up the vet starter (K. Davis?) all by himself. Throw Lloyd and Randle El at him along with Moss, the kid's head is goin' to be spinning like a top :D . Can't wait :cheers: .

Look, your team will be pretty decent, but your offensive line does not compliment Bledsoe very well. He is a statue back there, and if your line starts breaking down, Bledsoe is going to be in for a long season.

sn2.gifMel Kiper: (1:36 PM ET ) They are very questionable there and lost games because teams went over the top on them, and they need a guy who can cover back there to complement Roy Williams.

Brunell to moss not once but twice:laugh: + :laugh: =:cheers:

Archived