Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We just blocked MYSpace.com on our network!

Zguy28

A little background, I'm a network admin on a corporate network of about 3000 people. Well we installed some reporting tools and wadda ya know, Myspace servers were the number 1 bandwidth hog, and #2, #3 and so on. Overall it was accounting for over 40% of total bandwidth just at our site alone and we have 4 T1 lines trunked together.

So we blocked it.:D

Its funny how PO'd people are now, but they won't call the helpdesk to complain. :laugh:

A little background, I'm a network admin on a corporate network of about 3000 people. Well we installed some reporting tools and wadda ya know, Myspace servers were the number 1 bandwidth hog, and #2, #3 and so on. Overall it was accounting for over 40% of total bandwidth just at our site alone and we have 4 T1 lines trunked together.

So we blocked it.:D

Its funny how PO'd people are now, but they won't call the helpdesk to complain. :laugh:

there's a way to get through the block

Not when the IP addresses are blocked on our firewall!

Yeah, there still is a way to get through these sorts of blocks, I think.

I used to work at a medium sized company that got purchased by a larger company, and then got purchased by a giant company. The giant company instituted these kinds of policies and all of a sudden a lot of the web was blocked.

I've since moved on to a very small company. At a recent inter-company meeting, a rep of the other company there (a large one) said "They've blocked this site, I can't get to it" to which our Pres replied "What? What are you talking about?"

Awesome.

all the links starting with www.myspace are blocked...but if you go in from other ways, it can work
Its actually a little more intuitive than that. We not only block on the firewall, but we use a product called Websense which blocks all traffic classified under "Personals and dating" as well as using an appliance called a Packet Shaper which prioritizes traffic and dumps prohibited packets of data.

Its actually a little more intuitive than that. We not only block on the firewall, but we use a product called Websense which blocks all traffic classified under "Personals and dating" as well as using an appliance called a Packet Shaper which prioritizes traffic and dumps prohibited packets of data.

that's pretty good then... i wish someone would firewall google images a little more...even on "safe", some of my students have picked up some inappropriate things on there....

dang sounds like you work form my company

I believe it. My assistant is on myspace all day long. Part of my new supervisor duties are to inform her that we know she's on there & she needs to stop.

Her response? "Well, aren't you on your redskins thingy all day?"

Damnit......

Is she hot? Because if she's hot, I think that's ok.....

If someone wants to get around it by using proxies and such, chances are they have some sort of admin privileges (unless their child/friend tells them how to circumvent the filters and such. Though, using my parents as an example...this would never happen because they're too inept to follow even slightly detailed computing instructions. ;)).

A little background, I'm a network admin on a corporate network of about 3000 people.

Hey..umm... need any grunts hired for the summer? :D

Archived