Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rb #'s

Hawkskin

I was reading that the league is considering letting Reggie Bush wear the number 5 this year, something as we know is not done, rb's wear numbers in the 20-49 range...I think this will open a whole leage wide number change...but i am not opposed....what do you all think?

I don't think they should let him wear #5. If they were to let up on this rule, they can't do it now. It looks like they would be folding to the pressures of a star draftee wanting a number. Just keep the old system, it works fine (but its still a joke they wouldn't let Nolan wear a suit on the sidelines).

"In 2004, running back Edgerrin James, then playing with the Indianapolis Colts, unsuccessfully petitioned for No. 5."

If they deny a solid, well-respected veteran, and grant permission to an unproven rookie, that will send a VERY poor message. Looks like Tags has one more act as commish. Just think, if they give it to Bush, there will be a rush of players changing #'s and it will create chaos. This WILL NOT happen.

anyone have a link to the actual breakdowns of who can wear what numbers? like I know kickers, quarteracks, and receivers can all wear numbers in the teens.

Cooley currently wears #47, but if he switches to being a tight end under saunders offense, will he have to change his number?

I think it will be ok....as long as they keep the D line and O line with there numbers, so the refs can determine illegal men downfield. I think they should wear what they want....and nobody is gonna go in the hundreds or halfs come on. It will however open up alot of people to number changes.

This is crazy. This will open up a whole new can of worms. After you switch the rb numbers to 1 to 49 what's next Defense? Will Sean Taylor be allowed to wear #6? LB's being allowed to change their numbers as well would be a very bazarre thing indeed.

I say if you change the rb #'s then allow a similar numbering system to that of the college ranks. As long as I don't see Chris Samuels types running around in number 1's let the skill positions have more freedom with their number choices in the NFL.

GC

Its not going to happen, don't worry. Mort even reported on this on ESPN radio today. This isn't an issue you can petition the league on. Its a competition committee issue, and would actually require a league wide rules change started by the committee and then approved by the owners. Petitioning the league does no good, its not going to happen.

Archived