Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think this is a form of racism?

MikeSellers45

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

djtj your absolutely right. And I think the reason for that is the 3 types of white people you listed:

(1) people who feel sorry for minorities; and (2) people who think any talk about race is racist. I guess there's also (3) white people who get uncomfortable whenever race is discussed

There are 2 other minority groups of white people. Mine which is proud of his race and heritage, and the other is the white supremists. However, they are seen as one in the same by most including your 3 groups of white people. I dont blame the reaction, like you said theres a history of it and as scs said theres always suspicion. I agree with you I think some racial pride with a postive intent would go along way in helping white people understand what race is.

Ah the unfair double standard of racism.

Study where the white power movement came from and where the black power movement came from. There's a double standard for a reason.

White Power is automatically linked to White Supremecy.

Black Power is automatically linked to Black Nationalism not Black Supremecy.

That's just how it is...

I was just about to post the same thing.

I think this country's history is the reason why a box that says "white power" and a box that says "black power" are looked at differently.

I understand that, and you are correct. However my arguement is your letting the evil define a series of words regardless of context.

If that is your test, then Black History month is racist, Chinatown is racist, and Mexican food is racist (just think about starting a "white history month," designating part of a city "white town," or starting a restaurant that served "white food").

I think it's pretty obvious that racism doesn't mean the same thing for every race. When you substitute "black" for "white," the meaning changes.

In today's changing cultural climate, though, it could be argued that there is a possibility for 'white nationalism' that is no more malevolent than 'black nationalism.' To be honest, much of that associated with "black power" IS just as racist as white power, just less threatening because of numbers or legacy.

That does NOT mean that "BET" is the same as "White People Only Network." Besides, we have that. It's called PAX.

There definitly is a double standard here regarding race. I have experencied this through out my life, being proud of my Norse heritage I have several tattoos reflacting this, having mjolnir, yggsdrasil, the Midgard Serpent, the eye of odin and several runes. People have often accused me of being racist for doing this. You are almost made guilty to be proud to be of European descent. Even the term White Pride is seen a racist in many circles, yet black pride is perfectly acceptable. These kind of things lead to "reverse racism" and can make the problem much worse

If that is your test, then Black History month is racist, Chinatown is racist, and Mexican food is racist (just think about starting a "white history month," designating part of a city "white town," or starting a restaurant that served "white food").

I think it's pretty obvious that racism doesn't mean the same thing for every race. When you substitute "black" for "white," the meaning changes.

Actually its not obvious... and your examples are a bit off too, Black Historey month IS racist, Chinatown isn, because its about the COUNTRY they come from not their race, maybe asian town would be racist or yellow town or something... Mexican food isn't racist for the same reason, maybe if we called it brown food or wetback food or something like that then it would be racist,

Designating a month as White History month, would be racist, but Irish history month wouldn't, nor would Irish town. Or the same would be for european history month or European town....

Do you see the flaw in your argument. Anything that designates by RACE is in its core RACIST.

Now that being said, I don't find the Box racist on its outside, but it is harboring racist tones and sentiments inside. This seems to be how many people in the world are, they show pride in themselves and their ancestors without actaully speaking and promoting racisim in any sort, but on the inside they truely are racist... I find the box more representative of society as a whole, from all races there are people that this box would represent, and frankly I find that thought more than a bit disturbing....

Actually its not obvious... and your examples are a bit off too, Black Historey month IS racist, Chinatown isn, because its about the COUNTRY they come from not their race, maybe asian town would be racist or yellow town or something... Mexican food isn't racist for the same reason, maybe if we called it brown food or wetback food or something like that then it would be racist,

Designating a month as White History month, would be racist, but Irish history month wouldn't, nor would Irish town. Or the same would be for european history month or European town....

Do you see the flaw in your argument. Anything that designates by RACE is in its core RACIST.

That's a good point, but if you discriminate against Mexicans, Chinese, or White people, that is racism. My point is that in other contexts, like food, using "White" or "Mexican" have very different racist connotations. You can't just substitute words without changing the meaning of a phrase.
Now that being said, I don't find the Box racist on its outside, but it is harboring racist tones and sentiments inside. This seems to be how many people in the world are, they show pride in themselves and their ancestors without actaully speaking and promoting racisim in any sort, but on the inside they truely are racist... I find the box more representative of society as a whole, from all races there are people that this box would represent, and frankly I find that thought more than a bit disturbing....
You just said that a European history month wouldn't be racist, so isn't it possible that this box doesn't "harbor[] racist tones and sentiments"? It is possible to show pride in yourself and your ancestors without being truly racist on the inside - many white Americans do so as Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans, or Jewish Americans.

Every reference to race isn't racist ... it is contextual.

I think you should create a "white" version of the box for your project and see what happens. Put pictures of Abraham Lincoln, Admiral Chester Nimitz, Ronald Reagan on it. It would be intersting to see the outcome.:)

Ronald Reagan -- bet that would be popular :)

Would make it even MORE interesting of a test if a third box was created with pics of Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh -- I would PAY to see that.......

Of course its racism, anytime you promote your race it by default excludes all others..

If your doing it for you, about you and will keep it who cares its about pride..

If your doing it to put down someone else and promote yourself ahead of them for others or your entertainment/maliciousness: That's RACISM...

Let the little go.. pride vs. antagonism is a fine line that we only see now because of past issues...

If that were too happen unfortunately many minority people would be upset about it =/

If I made a box that said "white power" in it, I bet it would be called racism and I would be a racist.

The difference, of course, is that whites are already in power. "Black power" is about empowerment of blacks, i.e. more a statement about equality with whites than about superiority of blacks. "White power" on the other hand, carrys the connotation of inequality. More about superiority of whites than about equality with blacks.

At least that is how I see it.

You have to understand that from the minority perspective( I am black ) recognition of blackness is a rallying point for a race of people that survived slavery, Jim Crow, and overt institutionalized racism. Today it is perceived covert racism ( not always the case ), not to mention a self hatred that some say is perpetuated through the vestiges of White Supremacy. I understand the fact that many, if not most Whites are not currently responsible for the plight of 40 million or so Blacks, but when you belong to the group that just happened to own the other, the veil of suspicion is always there. It's the same as if a White person were robbed by Blacks several times. I wouldn't want to be looked at as suspect, but I could understand how it would happen. It's a never ending discussion with neither side winning. We should be able to agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable. :2cents:

I'm not black but that is a mindset I will never understand. Married to a black woman with a half black child spending every other day with my black father in law, I will never understand this.

Slavery is in my opinion the very worst thing you could do to another human being. I'd rather suffer the most horrible painful death then to be someone elses property. Having said that. I don't belong to a group that has owned anyone, this particular statement bothers me.. If you and I met on the street and broad day light, lets say waiting for a bus, what actually gives you the right to be suspicious of me. Why? because white people I've never know had enslaved black people you'll never know?

What upsets me about this topic is if it wasn't for a detictated group of black AND white people slavery would have existed longer then it did. But no one wants to talk about the white people that died for black people. Fast forward to the 60's during the civil rights movement. It was white and black people fighting for civil rights for black people, sure there were more blacks and white fighting, but don't ignore the contributions of either race. Where is the discussion of those white people? All the struggles black people went through, they didn't go through them alone, despite what some would have you believe.

No, but if you shaved your head, or started wearing sheets for clothes and got a swastika tatoo, you would be.

theoretically, since the sastika was originally stolen from the indians and reversed, if a half indian/half roman with cancer was celebrating his heritage by dressing up would he be racist? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: think about it, he could have a swastika tatoo, he'd be wearing sheets, and he'd have no hair :laugh:

I've been thinking. Maybe the girl didn't mean "Black Power" to be the racist form. Maybe she put in there because the box is about black leaders so they would have some power. I guess it is referring to the black leaders having power.

I think you are correct.

Archived