Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think this is a form of racism?

MikeSellers45

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

In my sculpture class, we had to make an heirloom box. We have been working on them for weeks and we presented them today. One box was panted black, yellow, red, and green with pictures of black leaders all over the outside. Then on the inside in big letters, it says "Black Power." Do you think this is racist?

If I made a box that said "white power" in it, I bet it would be called racism and I would be a racist.

Definately,But in truth you would not be simply by the creation of the box.

I once did a term paper in support of the Klan,just to demonstrate how skewed peoples perceptions are and the baseless assumptions made.

If I made a box that said "white power" in it, I bet it would be called racism and I would be a racist.

Unfortunatly, at times it does seem to work that way. I would generally say no, it's not a racist statment to decorate the box in that manner. The "black power" on the inside could be viewed that way, but I don't think so being it's discreatly placed on the inside as not to insight conflict by any viewer, but to be reflected uppon by the owner. Having that saying atop the box lid could be viewed racist by some.

A quick question.

Heirloom boxes in sculpture class......? Back in the day we stuck to the standard type of stuff, mobiles, reliefs, 3D stone, 3D clay, and such.

Ah the unfair double standard of racism.

Study where the white power movement came from and where the black power movement came from. There's a double standard for a reason.

White Power is automatically linked to White Supremecy.

Black Power is automatically linked to Black Nationalism not Black Supremecy.

That's just how it is...

If that is your test, then Black History month is racist, Chinatown is racist, and Mexican food is racist (just think about starting a "white history month," designating part of a city "white town," or starting a restaurant that served "white food").

I think it's pretty obvious that racism doesn't mean the same thing for every race. When you substitute "black" for "white," the meaning changes.

If that is your test, then Black History month is racist, Chinatown is racist, and Mexican food is racist (just think about starting a "white history month," designating part of a city "white town," or starting a restaurant that served "white food").

I think it's pretty obvious that racism doesn't mean the same thing for every race. When you substitute "black" for "white," the meaning changes.

While I understand what your saying, its irrational. The box in this kids class saying black power with positive black role models is not a racist thing at all, its celebrating black leadership. At the same time, a box saying white power celebrating white leadership is not racist unless those leaders are hitler, or other figures of racism. white power/black power are not inherently evil statements its what you attach to them that make them evil. Just like a white history month or white town are not inherently racist, there is a little italy and italians are classified as white.

You have to understand that from the minority perspective( I am black ) recognition of blackness is a rallying point for a race of people that survived slavery, Jim Crow, and overt institutionalized racism. Today it is perceived covert racism ( not always the case ), not to mention a self hatred that some say is perpetuated through the vestiges of White Supremacy. I understand the fact that many, if not most Whites are not currently responsible for the plight of 40 million or so Blacks, but when you belong to the group that just happened to own the other, the veil of suspicion is always there. It's the same as if a White person were robbed by Blacks several times. I wouldn't want to be looked at as suspect, but I could understand how it would happen. It's a never ending discussion with neither side winning. We should be able to agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable. :2cents:

i would have answered no initially, but I decided to look up the definition of racism.

rac·ism ('sĭz'əm) pron.gif

n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

So then, I decided to look up the word power to see if power was equal to superiority to others.

There were quite a few more but #5 & #6 are intriguing.

pow·er (pou'ər) pron.gif

n.

1. The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.
  2. A specific capacity, faculty, or aptitude. Often used in the plural: her powers of concentration.
  3. Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might. See synonyms at strength.
  4. The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
  5. A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others: the western powers.
  6. The might of a nation, political organization, or similar group.
  7. Forcefulness; effectiveness: a novel of unusual power.

After reviewing the definitions, despite the fact I don't think it was the intent of the individual to be racist, IMO, it IS racist.

While I understand what your saying, its irrational. The box in this kids class saying black power with positive black role models is not a racist thing at all, its celebrating black leadership. At the same time, a box saying white power celebrating white leadership is not racist unless those leaders are hitler, or other figures of racism. white power/black power are not inherently evil statements its what you attach to them that make them evil. Just like a white history month or white town are not inherently racist, there is a little italy and italians are classified as white.

Plenty of things are irrational, but that doesn't make them any less real. If we were going to derive a definition of racism from first principles, I think you would be completely right.

However, the concept of racism is inherently subjective. It's based in a history of oppression and abuse. The concept of white power is intimidating to many minorities, but I don't think the concept of black power has that effect on many people. That difference is entirely based in history - a very real history where white power meant slavery, Jim Crow, and eugenics but black power was only a resistance to those movements.

...and an interesting thing about Little Italy - the only towns that have them had large Italian-American populations during a time when Italians were not considered white... The very term "white" doesn't have a consistent objective meaning and changes through time.

It's impossible to talk about racism without history.

just like any words though they have many meanings, its not so much the two words but its the message behind the two words.

for instance if you take definition one of power: The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that with your race. Your promoting your race positively, but if your message is linked to definition 5:A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others. then your wrong.

This is very interesting in that I whole-heartedly agree with this statement's ideology......this is the way it should be. However, I must beg the question.....do we really believe that is how things truly work? In today's society, would artwork proclaiming "white power" while featuring a picture of FDR, or Abe Lincoln, or JFK, or "insert widely respected white historical figure here" honestly be looked at in a positive light? I have to say no. I think the term "white power" itself would be more than enough to get a child and his/her artwork all over major network news (not to mention CNN and the like) while being portrayed in a very negative fashion. I think this to be the case regardless of the figures featured in the work. I believe your statement is how things should be. I just don't believe it's how they are.

Plenty of things are irrational, but that doesn't make them any less real. If we were going to derive a definition of racism from first principles, I think you would be completely right.

However, the concept of racism is inherently subjective. It's based in a history of oppression and abuse. The concept of white power is intimidating to many minorities, but I don't think the concept of black power has that effect on many people. That difference is entirely based in history - a very real history where white power meant slavery, Jim Crow, and eugenics but black power was only a resistance to those movements.

...and an interesting thing about Little Italy - the only towns that have them had large Italian-American populations during a time when Italians were not considered white... The very term "white" doesn't have a consistent objective meaning and changes through time.

It's impossible to talk about racism without history.

your right, history explains and puts in context racism. I would like to know when they invented "the races", but Im not so sure your example of Italians being from another race works. I always thought it was more about nationalism and a religous thing like with the Irish, and people just always stuck to their own religions and nationals. Europe was such an inter tribal breeding ground, that I always figured they just seperated themselves by whose flag and churched they served.

I can agree that white power is much more intimidating to black people than black power is to whites, but they are only hatefull if used in a hate full context.

Did you have any thoughts on my response?

Think I made any valid points or am I going too Sean Hannity on this one?

sorry missed your post. I think your right about the white power art work, but thats our fault. Those are admirable figures to strive to be like for white people, but as I said earlier we have let evil groups define terms cause we are over sensitive and lazy. I feel like the message behind the words are more important than the words. Your points were valid and I dont think you were going Hannity on them. Just cause your in the majority doesnt mean you cant be proud of your race, heritage or culture, just like everyone you have to use the pride to do good and not evil.

I just wish people could have pride and not be hatefull about it thats all, I guess its why its one of the deadly sins.

You know, I've kind of felt that way too about white people. Sometimes I think think that because they don't have any pride in their own race, most white people are unable to understand race. This leads white people to fall into two categories: (1) people who feel sorry for minorities; and (2) people who think any talk about race is racist. I guess there's also (3) white people who get uncomfortable whenever race is discussed.

It would be nice if everyone could have some racial pride, but the problem is that every time there has been a white power movement in this country, it has led to oppression ... maybe it's just a structural problem: any time the majority has pride based on an immutable characteristic like race, there is a serious risk of oppression in a democracy.

In any case, it's pretty obvious that the reason we think white power = racism for us is the sad history of racism in America.

Archived