Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you believe in Satan ?

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There's 2 conflicting statements, if I heard one.

I was beeing sarcastic to the post below.He seemed to be disappointed with my joke.:cry:

I'm a little disappointed. We've had the obligatory relative/self jokes, but no (that I remember)

Gil Brandt/Jerry Jones/Clint Longley/other member of the Cowboys

Dick Cheney/Karl Rove/George Bush/other Republican/Neocon

Hillary Clinton/Howard Dean/Nancy Pelosi/other Democrat

jokes.

What gives?

I can laugh at his joke though.:laugh: Jerry Jones is the Devil.

Exremely late getting in to this one. But I was raised Presbyterian and although I don't go to church I believe in God and conversely Satan. I'm do not think terrorists are being influenced by demonic powers I think they are trapped in the narrow-mindedness of their own propaganda and that they have more or less been at war for the last 2000 or so years.

You read about the cases far to frequently. But I truly believe that anyone who kidnaps and tortures/rapes and murders children has to be influenced by something demonic in nature. I just can't believe in my heart that the human soul could do those horrific things on it's own.

Exremely late getting in to this one. But I was raised Presbyterian and although I don't go to church I believe in God and conversely Satan. I'm do not think terrorists are being influenced by demonic powers I think they are trapped in the narrow-mindedness of their own propaganda and that they have more or less been at war for the last 2000 or so years.

You read about the cases far to frequently. But I truly believe that anyone who kidnaps and tortures/rapes and murders children has to be influenced by something demonic in nature. I just can't believe in my heart that the human soul could do those horrific things on it's own.

I've sat in on session with those guys, and with one I could almost suspend my normal perspectives and consider demonic possession...in fact, I don't entirely rule it out...that wouldn't even be scientific :)

Not only is the religion-based possiblity still just that, but today's demon may be tomorrow's energy based life-form ;)

There's entirely too much respect paid to peoples' religious beliefs. It's really time to grow up intellectually, after all the deaths and wars and contradictions and absurdities. If one believes in nonsense in one area of thought, it might be that other areas are weakened. A person who "believes" in the devil or christ without proof might well "believe" in the goodness and wisdom of American presidents. You fellows who believe in things like the devil are not logical or intellectual, you're just malleable...you'd believe in any hocus pocus pushed on you from your culture, as well as the infallible book used to push it on you with. You're pathetic little children and your chances of being right about anything theologically have a whole lot more to do with dumb luck than anything you might formulate or learn from your studies. You are one hundred percent in the dark about everything and just filled with cliches.

No atheists in foxholes is my favorite.

You've got to have faith.

You have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Muslims are evil.

God's will be done.

Actually, atheists aren't prone to death bed conversions.

Faith in what?

Can you have an impersonal relationship with Jesus?

Religions cause bigotry. For that reason alone, their value should be questioned.

What is God's will? Everybody has a different idea.

There's entirely too much respect paid to peoples' religious beliefs. It's really time to grow up intellectually, after all the deaths and wars and contradictions and absurdities. If one believes in nonsense in one area of thought, it might be that other areas are weakened. A person who "believes" in the devil or christ without proof might well "believe" in the goodness and wisdom of American presidents. You fellows who believe in things like the devil are not logical or intellectual, you're just malleable...you'd believe in any hocus pocus pushed on you from your culture, as well as the infallible book used to push it on you with. You're pathetic little children and your chances of being right about anything theologically have a whole lot more to do with dumb luck than anything you might formulate or learn from your studies. You are one hundred percent in the dark about everything and just filled with cliches.

No atheists in foxholes is my favorite.

You've got to have faith.

You have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Muslims are evil.

God's will be done.

Actually, atheists aren't prone to death bed conversions.

Faith in what?

Can you have an impersonal relationship with Jesus?

Religions cause bigotry. For that reason alone, their value should be questioned.

What is God's will? Everybody has a different idea.

Crazy, not that any of us are really saying anything new, so did you catch the author speaking on these same themes/ideas who was on Stewart or Colbert in the last two nights?

It was on in the background and I can't remember his name or the book and I tried to search on the comedy central site but couldn't peg it. Any idea who it was?

I've sat in on session with those guys, and with one I could almost suspend my normal perspectives and consider demonic possession...in fact, I don't entirely rule it out...that wouldn't even be scientific :)

Not only is the religion-based possiblity still just that, but today's demon may be tomorrow's energy based life-form ;)

I've sat on a state prison cell block in California populated with several child molesters. I can tell you now that most are weak willed cowards who are too afraid to pick on "someone" their one size. But two of them I would consider truly evil.

I'm not saying that a demon takes control of their mind, like the movie exorcist. I'm saying that evil can influence the weak minded. It's what I think based on what I've seen in real life. :2cents:

I've sat on a state prison cell block in California populated with several child molesters. I can tell you now that most are weak willed cowards who are too afraid to pick on "someone" their one size. But two of them I would consider truly evil.

I'm not saying that a demon takes control of their mind, like the movie exorcist. I'm saying that evil can influence the weak minded. It's what I think based on what I've seen in real life. :2cents:

I hear ya. There are, additionally, people with complex minds with pretty substantial intellect that do absolutely horrifying things. And some that are fearless in the pathological sense. In fact, lack of normal reactivity to danger is very common among serial killers.

I hear ya. There are, additionally, people with complex minds with pretty substantial intellect that do absolutely horrifying things. And some that are fearless in the pathological sense. In fact, lack of normal reactivity to danger is very common among serial killers.

These guys I'm talking about would rape a child in any given opportunity. But if you gave them any type of mental apptitude test we'll they wouldn't do so good. I know what your saying Jumbo but not every pure evil criminal is Lecter. Some had help. Again :2cents:

And state prison cell blocks.

With etiology ranging from desensitization conditioning to brain chemistry hijinks. And maybe demons. :laugh:

Your turn :D

I need to put this work away and hit the sack or I'll derange myself even further.

These guys I'm talking about would rape a child in any given opportunity. But if you gave them any type of mental apptitude test we'll they wouldn't do so good. I know what your saying Jumbo but not every pure evil criminal is Lecter. Some had help. Again :2cents:

I agree, bro.

Crazy, not that any of us are really saying anything new, so did you catch the author speaking on these same themes/ideas who was on Stewart or Colbert in the last two nights?

It was on in the background and I can't remember his name or the book and I tried to search on the comedy central site but couldn't peg it. Any idea who it was?

I caught some of what he was saying but missed his name and the name of his book. Needless to say, I agreed with him. I'm not exactly an atheist, however. For all I know, the Baptists might be right about everything. What I'm saying is that there is no particular reason to think that they are, nor is there any particular reason to believe in even my own speculations or those of other limited human beings. Personally, I'm comfortable with that... I do think it rather sad that so many people have difficulty with reality.

The author is Sam Harris, and the book is 'The End of Faith'.

In some places it's brilliant, in others ... not so much.

http://www.samharris.org/

Personally, I'm comfortable with that... I do think it rather sad that so many people have difficulty with reality.

You think it is sad that so many people have difficulty with reality? Who defines this reality, you? the scientific community? the bible?

In regards to Sam Harris' book, I think people would come up with other reasons to hurt and kill other people even if we did away with religion.

Back to the original subject, I do believe in Satan but I also believe humanity is plenty capable of evil without any outside help.

i think the name of the book was American Gospels...don't remember the guys name.

After all, do we really know when there is the first "complete" Bible, with the various collected books in one document, especially since there were many books, which are not included in the Old or New Testament, floating around at that time? I know Emperor Constantine was involved at one junction...

A little history for those who care...

The New Testament As It Gained Acceptance by the Early Church

A. D. 100

Different parts of our New Testament were written by this time, but

not yet collected and clearly defined as ‘Scripture.’ In some instances, however, a status of Scripture was being applied (cf. 1 Tim. 5:18; 2 Peter 3:16). Early Christian writers (for example, Polycarp and Ignatius) quote from the Gospels and Paul’s letters, as well as from other Christian writings and oral sources. Paul’s letters were collected in the latter part of the first century. Matthew, Mark and Luke were brought together by A.D. 150.

A. D. 200

New Testament used in

the church at Rome (the

‘Muratorian Canon’):

Four Gospels

Acts

Paul’s letters:

Romans

1 & 2 Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians

Colossians

1 & 2 Thess.

1 & 2 Timothy

Titus

Philemon

James

1 & 2 John

Revelation of John

Revelation of Peter

Wisdom of Solomon

To be used in private

but not public worship:

The Shepherd of Hermas

A. D. 250

New Testament used

by Origen:

Four Gospels

Acts

Pauls Letters:

Romans

1 & 2 Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians

Colossians

1 & 2 Thess.

1 & 2 Timothy

Titus

Philemon

1 Peter

1 John

Revelation of John

Disputed

Hebrews

James

2 Peter

2 & 3 John

Jude

The Shepherd of

Hermas

Letter of Barnabas

Teaching of the Twelve

(Didache)

Gospel of the Hebrews

A. D. 300

New Testament used by Eusebius:

Four Gospels

Acts

Paul’s letters:

Romans

I & II Corinthians

Galatains

Ephesians

Philippians

Colossians

1 & 2 Thess.

1 & 2 Timothy

Titus

Philemon

Hebrews

James

1 Peter

1 John

Revelation of John

(authorship in doubt)

Disputed but well known:

James

2 Peter

2 & 3 John

Jude

A. D. 400

New Testament fixed for the West by

the Council of Carthage: (397)

Four Gospels

Acts

Paul’s letters:

Romans

1 & 2 Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians

Colossians

1 & 2 Thess.

1 & 2 Timothy

Titus

Philemon

Hebrews

James

1 & 2 Peter

1, 2, & 3 John

Jude

Revelation

To be excluded:

The Shepherd of Hermas

Letter of Barnabas

Gospel of the Hebrews

Revelation of Peter

Acts of Peter

Didache

Yes I do believe in Satan, that ancient serpent who is constantly decieving. Although he is powerful here on earth (he's not called the Prince of the Power of the Air for nothin'!) if you stand up in faith, he will flee and cannot harm you, except if God allows it, which was the case with Job.

Archived