Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Restaurants that the team likes

CliffBattles

Morton's not at all over-rated.

If you are getting Filets, the difference between a $40 steak and a $20 steak narrows a bit.

But, if you get a cajun ribeye, or a prime rib, or a strip, the difference is worth it.

The wild mushrooms, and lyonasse (sp?) potatoes are simply awesome, as is the bread, and their salads.

The service is amazing, and the verbal menu is always impressive to dates or guests.

The quality of the food is the difference, the cooks in the kitchen, aren't creating some complex dishes.

A reason exists for all the awards Wine Spectator and other magazines continually give them.

Other steak houses cannot sell a steak, that meets those standards for a half or a third of the price. If you can not tell the difference, well more power to you, you will save money.

I just pulled this up from the Morton's web page:

What Makes Morton's Prime-Aged Beef So Special?

"Prime" is the highest USDA beef grade. Morton's selects only the prime of the prime from the premier meatpackers in Chicago, a city long known for its fine beef. Our beef comes from steers up to two years old, weighing up to 1,200 pounds, which yield 75 pounds of steaks that are suitable for broiling. Just two percent of all beef is graded Prime. The meat is a light cherry color, firm, with a fine texture. Prime beef is marbled with a fine lacing of fat, assuring a high degree of tenderness. This marbling dissolves into your steak as it broils, making it juicy and tender.

Why Morton's Ages Its Steaks.

Aging is an expensive process, whereby the meat's natural enzymes, acting as a tenderizer, break down the connective tissue. The steaks served at Morton's are held in a cooler at 34 -38 degrees to age for two and a half to three weeks.

What Makes A Morton's Steak Impossible To Duplicate?

In addition to our prime-aged beef, the temperature of our broilers cook up to 1,200 degrees to sear your steak and seal in the juicy goodness.

Anyway, they have the Redskins logo on the menu....if Snyder comes all the way down from MD to eat there..........I think Gibbs lives in the condos across the street....so maybe that is why so many Redsins events are there.

I like Ruth's Chris, and I think that big ad they have with the filet, cut up like a cake, is one of the most mouth-watering ads I have ever seen. I have just never been into the plate of sizzling butter thing, with such an expensive steak. I reminds me of fajitas, and I do love fajitas, but I just like my steak broiled or grilled. Capitol Grille also has a really good Kona crusted steak, but their steaks are dry-aged, where as Morton's are wet aged, makes a difference in taste, some people prefer different things...I like the wet-aged because I can't do it at home, as easily as dry-aging my own steak.

Also, as said before, the service at Morton's is second to none.....well after places like the Inn at Little Washington....which is a whole different league.

Capitol Grill and Smith & Wollensky's are definitely on par with Mortons.

Not to mention the prime rib at say...Prime Rib on K street.

Hangar Steaks are fairly cheap pieces of meat. To charge 20 bucks for it is even high. Most places use hangar steak for fajitas. Has to have a proper marinade to even be decent, and its usually grainy.

Ribeyes while tasty, are usually so fatty that unless I am cooking it myself I normally wont eat them.

Your a big fan of playing $40 for a fillet that taste like nothing and has fat on it? Go to Mikes and order the Crabcake fillet combo and then go to Mortons and order the fillet and Crab cake ala cart and come back with a honest post.

That was an honest post, trust me. Best steak I've ever had was a Filet Mignon at the Morton's in Nashville. No contest... and trust me, I've eaten some good steaks in my life. Even had a Kobe steak at a restaurant in Vegas.

Ruths Chris is very good too... but not quite as good as mortons. Anyways, I think Cliff says it best in this post:

Morton's not at all over-rated.

If you can not tell the difference, well more power to you, you will save money.

If I'm going to overpay for steak, its going to be at Ruth Chris.

:cool:

back to the topic that we've kind of lost to steak arguments...

i saw gibbs when i was really little at Artie's in Fairfax. great food.

joe jacoby came into papa john's in burke a couple of times. ordered something like 4 extra large pizzas. really loud guy. he's the man. my friend's family just bought his old house around the fairfax station area.

I seen alot of posts on here were players eat at The Cheesecake Factory in Tyson Galleria.

That's right. I've waited on Griffin, Evans, Clemons, and Dockery and their girls/wives, myself during my time as a server there.

Personally seen Brunell, Portis, Moss, Cooley and Jason Campbell there.

Jason Campbell bows his head before he starts his dinner, which I think is impressive being a rather religious person myself.

You guys aint seen nothing unitll you go to Fogo Chao's (Upscale Brazilian Steakhouse). 11th and Penn., NW.

Bring $45 and enough room in your stomach to eat as much meat as is humanly possible. Thats right, all you can eat meat, potatoes, polenta, gourmet salad bar. The works. The meat keeps coming, and it is goooooood.

I personally like Del Frisco's in New York. They are simply the best steaks I have ever had. I have been to Mortons been to Ruth's Chris Steaks, Sterlings and many others many times. Del Frisco's was by far the best. Same type of Service as the others. Just a better cuts of meat.

If I'm going to overpay for steak, its going to be at Ruth Chris.

Off topic >>> sorry hehe Agreed!!!!!!! Been to Mortons as well, and was not impressed, same cut there (ribeye) was tough and had no flavor... been to Ruths Chris over 100 times , the 2 in DC and Arlington... been to some throughout the country and never had a tough steak/ribeye. Ruths Chris rules, Mortons droolz :)

EDIT

On topic >>> My father owns a sub shop-pizzaria in arlington va, and back in the day a few redskins were REGULARS.. Raleigh McKenzie mainly, he was a trip, he used to eat 2 large steak/cheese subs (24 inches total) and say he didnt even feel full, but said he couldnt eat any more cause the coaches would get on him about gaining weight too fast , lol, i kid you not. He came in about once a month in the offseason, maybe 3 times total during the season.

I used to work at the Macaroni Grill next to Dulles Town Center. A couple of times I saw Redskins there, specifically when I worked the late shift, and they would come in around 10 or 10:30. I remember James Thrash and Marcus Washington coming in on separate occasions. Also, this past Christmas, I saw Mike Sellers in the mall itself while my brother was buying presents for his girlfriend. It's pretty sweet living in that area. :cool:

One of the places known to be a favorite with the players is the Alpine Restaurant on Lee Highway in Arlington. Veterans have been taking new players there for years and years, so a preference for their food gets "passed down" to each new generation. They serve really good Italian food, give 'em a try. :)

I seen alot of posts on here were players eat at The Cheesecake Factory in Tyson Galleria.

In Orlando one Tuesday night about a year ago, Shaquille ONeal walked past my table at the Cheesecake Factory here, which is near his home. (I also stood next to him in a checkout line at a Bookstop about ten years ago). Maybe Cheesecake Factory is popular around the country with pro athletes? :whoknows: Not as flashy as a Mortons of course, but they are a decent place for semi-upscale casual dining.

As to Shaq .. I actually can't stand the guy!

I personally like Del Frisco's in New York. They are simply the best steaks I have ever had. I have been to Mortons been to Ruth's Chris Steaks, Sterlings and many others many times. Del Frisco's was by far the best. Same type of Service as the others. Just a better cuts of meat.

I was about to post Del Frisco's and saw your post. I don't know if there is one in the DC area, but they have one in Orlando and other cities. By far the best steaks anywhere!

I've been to both Mortons AND Ruth's Chris. Mortons is okay. R'sC used to be good, but my most recent visit there was HORRIBLE! I've had a better steak at the Outback!

Archived