Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do taller football players outperform the shorter ones?

ceekay84

Steve Smith and Santana Moss had great seasons for smaller guys last season. With that said, tall players like Chad Johnson and T.O. are always a hot commodity. I think chemestry between QB and WR is more important then hieghts or talent of one or the other alone.

Shed your opinions please =D

Depends what offense your running really... If your the Redskins or some other team thats loves screens the short, fast, creative recievers are better while if your a team like the Philidelphia Eagles or New York Jets the better type of recievers are the Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, the taller, tough, possession like recievers are better.

No. Would you trade Santana for Keyshawn or McCants or Gardner? Smaller running backs actually have an advantage because they get lost and they have a lower center of gravity.

A four foot defensive tackle might have a difficult time, I guess. I'll give you that much.

Since noone has talked about LINEMEN :)

I think the shorter linemen are tougher to play against, if i were a tall guy, because their center of gravity is lower, and everyone that played ball knows...

if your lower than your opponent at contact, you will win the battle most of the time, i was one of the shorter guys heh 6'1 :)

Since noone has talked about LINEMEN :)

I think the shorter linemen are tougher to play against, if i were a tall guy, because their center of gravity is lower, and everyone that played ball knows...

if your lower than your opponent at contact, you will win the battle most of the time, i was one of the shorter guys heh 6'1 :)

With height you usually get a wider wingspan. Arm length is huge for lineman on both sides of the ball.

I don't see any offensive tackles at 5'4", so I'm going say height is an advantage at most positions, but not a requirement.

With height you usually get a wider wingspan. Arm length is huge for lineman on both sides of the ball.

I don't see any offensive tackles at 5'4", so I'm going say height is an advantage at most positions, but not a requirement.

Bostic was very small for a center, he was lucky if he weighed over 250 while the people he played against outweighed him by 40lbs on avr, and he did pretty good i think :) But everyone is different in every aspect and some know how to use their height or weight to their advantage, some dont.

Being taller is an advantage. It does not determine how a player performs. It is so with everything in life. There are certain born advantages some people have over others, but it only has bearing on who performs better if both perform equally well.

i see a lot of "would you trade santana for" followed by a number of underacheiving tall wide receivers. thats not a fair assessment. would you trade santana for randy moss? TO? marvin harrison? tory holt? (all taller). maybe, maybe not. obviously, the benefits of height are debatable in the wideout position. height on defense is a big benefit, as it is on the line and at the qb position on offense.

If you took Santana and made him 4 inches taller without changing any of his other skills, he probably wouldn't play any better... just differently. One of the big things about guys like Steve Smith and Santana is that they are NOT easy to hit. They are very quick, very agile, and very small targets which makes them far better than most of the bigger receivers out there.

Of course, there are some things big receivers do a little better. It isn't a matter of "outperforming"... size differences just equate to different styles of play.

Archived