Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are three safety's enough?

method man

I just realized in all this confusion that we lack safeties right now. I believe the only ones currently on our roster are Taylor, Archuleta, and Prioleau. Is the coaching staff going to convert Jimoh, a good tackler who lacks CB speed, to a safety? Are we going to sign one of the backups left on the market? Are we going to draft one?

I can see us moving Jimoh over to FS because we do have the vet who we put on IR last year. We could go with 5 CBs and 4 safeties unlike last year where we went with 5 S and 4 CB

I think safety and corner are equally as important in GW's defense. He relies on his corners to be able to do one-on-one coverage and he utilizes his safeties in a myriad of ways that other DCs do not (ex. blitzing). I actually don't think it will be a bad idea to move Jimoh to safety. Last year, he improved his cover skills and I feel his cover skills could compensate for Archuleta's lack of cover skills in some cases.

Also remember Archuleta is injury prone so getting 1 or 2 more safeties is absolutely imperative.

Your thread title doesn't make any sense. Redskins already have three safety's and most teams only carry 4 safety's on their active roster.

So your team has safety's, just needs one more to fill out depth and special teams.

You need to pay closer attention Gregg Williams defense uses 3 safteys on the feild at the same time for a good part of the game. We ran through all 5 of our safteys last year and we will need more than 3 heck more than 4 quality safteys. Every single saftey last year started at one point. The original post makes all the sense in the world.

We have enough corners and we will pick up another safty along the way. Our priorities are at LB and O-line right now.

LB ain't a priority in my opinion. We have enough people there to compete for the WLB spot. Whoever rises to the challenge will be good enough. We've at least addressed o-line depth to an extent (signing pucillo and walter) but the only backup we've added to our secondary is Wright.

I just realized in all this confusion that we lack safeties right now. I believe the only ones currently on our roster are Taylor, Archuleta, and Prioleau. Is the coaching staff going to convert Jimoh, a good tackler who lacks CB speed, to a safety? Are we going to sign one of the backups left on the market? Are we going to draft one?

I can see us moving Jimoh over to FS because we do have the vet who we put on IR last year. We could go with 5 CBs and 4 safeties unlike last year where we went with 5 S and 4 CB

"I just realized in all this confusion that we lack safeties right now."

I'm not sure what confusion you are refering to. Are you saying that you were confused as our team methodically went out and got the talent they were targeting? I don't think you are saying the team is confused are you?

"I believe the only ones currently on our roster are Taylor, Archuleta, and Prioleau."

There is also Curry Burns

"Is the coaching staff going to convert Jimoh, a good tackler who lacks CB speed, to a safety?"

At 6'1" and 195 he has the size to be a safety

"I can see us moving Jimoh over to FS because we do have the vet who we put on IR last year. We could go with 5 CBs and 4 safeties unlike last year where we went with 5 S and 4 CB"

I think ultimately we will pick up some guys via the draft and FA.

LB ain't a priority in my opinion. We have enough people there to compete for the WLB spot. Whoever rises to the challenge will be good enough. We've at least addressed o-line depth to an extent (signing pucillo and walter) but the only backup we've added to our secondary is Wright.

I disagree, we need another bonafide starting LB.

You need to pay closer attention Gregg Williams defense uses 3 safteys on the feild at the same time for a good part of the game. We ran through all 5 of our safteys last year and we will need more than 3 heck more than 4 quality safteys. Every single saftey last year started at one point. The original post makes all the sense in the world.

You need to pay closer attention, as I said most teams carry only 4 saftey's on their active rosters.

Plus my reply was in response to the original title of this thread "We have NO safties" which was later correctly changed to "Are three safety's enough?" ;)

I did not know much about Burns. He is listed as coming into the league in '03 but really played only one year in '04:

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2004 New York Giants 8 23 19.0 4 0 1 12 12.0 12 0 0

I just realized in all this confusion that we lack safeties right now. I believe the only ones currently on our roster are Taylor, Archuleta, and Prioleau.

There are 4 on the roster now, you forgot Burns. There will be 5 on the final 53, so at this time we'll be looking for 5 or 6 more for TC.

this thread borders on paranoia.

safety is the position on defense where the most capable veterans are available throughout the offseason, especially after the draft when younger guys come in and supplant more expensive players that are on the wrong side of 30.

as with Omar Stoutmire last year or Ryan Clark in 2004 the Skins can and will find depth at safety before training camp.

it may be a draft pick, a solid vet or a street free agent. but with Gregg Williams and Steve Jackson, they REALLY know what to look for at safety.

I don't have any worries about finding capable talent here.

Your thread title doesn't make any sense. Redskins already have three safety's and most teams only carry 4 safety's on their active roster.

So your team has safety's, just needs one more to fill out depth and special teams.

Most teams carry 5 and/or have another they can pull of the street. This is a position you can go light at though, especially if you use traditional dime/nickel packages.

You need to pay closer attention, as I said most teams carry only 4 saftey's on their active rosters.

Plus my reply was in response to the original title of this thread "We have NO safties" which was later correctly changed to "Are three safety's enough?" ;)

Our team carried 5 last year and all 5 started at one point. Archuleta has a back problem and Taylor sacrafices his body as well as his teammates bodys everysingle play. Its fair to say we could use some depth at Saftey.

No worries

We still have the regular draft, supplemental draft, June first cuts, preseason cuts to fill the supposed void.

Besides a healthy D line with our addition of Carter should allow for the traditonal back 7 line up to bring drama to opposing offenses.

Most teams carry 5 and/or have another they can pull of the street. This is a position you can go light at though, especially if you use traditional dime/nickel packages.
Our team carried 5 last year and all 5 started at one point. Archuleta has a back problem and Taylor sacrafices his body as well as his teammates bodys everysingle play. Its fair to say we could use some depth at Saftey.

Please re-read what I typed. :D

I said most teams carry 4 safety's on their active roster. I'm not talking about plays not active on game day on the 53 man roster or practice squad players.

Yes, some teams carry 5 safety's on their active rosters but outside of an injuries, majority of teams don't carry more.

Like I said before, my comment was directed toward the original title of this thread "We have NO safety's", when it's clear you already have 3-4 on your roster and possibly just need one or two more for depth.

if they are satisfied with Curry Burns, then I am fine with him being in the game as a safety/backup CB. We took Ryan Clark in and he was solid/above average. We took in Prioleau and Stoutmire in and they performed well. If Curry Burns is next, so be it.

Jimoh I think is faster than you make it sound. Also, in the games he was down the field fast during special teams plays.

"I just realized in all this confusion that we lack safeties right now."

I'm not sure what confusion you are refering to. Are you saying that you were confused as our team methodically went out and got the talent they were targeting? I don't think you are saying the team is confused are you?

"I believe the only ones currently on our roster are Taylor, Archuleta, and Prioleau."

There is also Curry Burns

"Is the coaching staff going to convert Jimoh, a good tackler who lacks CB speed, to a safety?"

At 6'1" and 195 he has the size to be a safety

"I can see us moving Jimoh over to FS because we do have the vet who we put on IR last year. We could go with 5 CBs and 4 safeties unlike last year where we went with 5 S and 4 CB"

I think ultimately we will pick up some guys via the draft and FA.

I apologize about the original thread title. I didn't think it through and later realized it was misleading. The confusion I am referring to is the one on our board about whether we are going to fill the depth on OL, LB, and CB. In the midst of all this, everyone forgot about the lack of depth at safety. As RDSKNFaithfull so clearly pointed out, all safeties on our roster get playing time. None of them are Molinaros or Aki Jones's (players who are on the active roster but are inactive every game). Burns was not good enough to make the roster last season so I would not count on him making it this year. I think we are going to fill at least one more safety spot by picking a vet off the scrap heap but we need to get one more proven safety because as good as Prioleau is, there is a reason he is a career backup. At times last year, although he made plays, he was toasted on some also.

if they are satisfied with Curry Burns, then I am fine with him being in the game as a safety/backup CB. We took Ryan Clark in and he was solid/above average. We took in Prioleau and Stoutmire in and they performed well. If Curry Burns is next, so be it.

Jimoh I think is faster than you make it sound. Also, in the games he was down the field fast during special teams plays.

Relative to other corners, Jimoh is slow. Relative to the normal NFL special teamer (this includes fullbacks like Mike Sellers and linebackers like Campbell), Jimoh looks fast.

Remember last year there was a constant parade of safeties and CB's coming in for workouts LATE into the summer as GW sifted through the chaff looking for depth. Expect the same this year too.

Forget the draft for a minute; I fully expect FA additions additions at every position imaginable before we're done. How many of them make the final roster is another story but it's part of the Redskins "aggresive" mentality in adding talent to the team.

:helmet:

Archived