Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are three safety's enough?

method man

I wouldn't sign any more big names for safety. Think about it--Williams has gotten excellent production out of guys signed off the garbage heap like Ryan Clark, Pierson Prioleau, and Omar Stoutmire. Not to mention Andre Lott who had pretty much been non-existant for his first couple of years under Spurrier.

Well, prior to the draft and the crop of June cuts I'd say three safeties are enough. However, even after the draft and June cuts I wouldn't be expecting a premier name to be drafted/ signed we'll certainly pick up one more guy at safety that can contribute on ST.

We shouldn't have signed Archuleta imo. I would have liked to keep Clark and get a guy like Dexter Jackson for cheaper. That would have been two safteys for the price of one.

You are the second guy today who I heard that from. You may be right, but I salivate at the notion of both he and ST lurking in the secondary.

I wouldn't sign any more big names for safety. Think about it--Williams has gotten excellent production out of guys signed off the garbage heap like Ryan Clark, Pierson Prioleau, and Omar Stoutmire. Not to mention Andre Lott who had pretty much been non-existant for his first couple of years under Spurrier.

The thing is that most of these guys have a pedigree.

Stoutmire started at one point for the Giants.

Prioleau is known around the league as one of the best special teamers.

Ryan Clark was the Giants' no. 3 safety but was cut because of a coaching change.

The only thing Curry Burns has going for him is his name.

You need to pay closer attention Gregg Williams defense uses 3 safteys on the feild at the same time for a good part of the game. We ran through all 5 of our safteys last year and we will need more than 3 heck more than 4 quality safteys. Every single saftey last year started at one point. The original post makes all the sense in the world.

Yes but were they all really playing safety? Or were they acting as extra corners? There were times when Jimoh was starting at CB which didn't really leave GW with a lot of good options in nickel and dime packages. Prioleau in particular is capable of playing CB in a pinch.

Keeping five safeties and four corners like we did last year is eccentric. It just happened that those were the best players (including special teams). Doesn't mean we want to do it again.

The draft hasn't happened yet. Probably we will spend a late pick or two on safeties. Or sign a veteran after the draft when we realize we didn't draft anybody.

Archived