Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SW or LOTR

krazykripple18

I just watched the movies. Same with Star Wars. I will freely admit that books are ALWAYS better than movies. But the movies were just strange. A big ****ing eyeball in the sky? WTF is that? Giant battle going on, all of a sudden a bunch of trees show up and start kicking ass after they had spent the previous hour moving slower than ****. :whoknows:

Maybe its because I grew up with Star Wars, and I "get it." I didnt "get" LOTR.

ok, fine, what about a thing that destroys entire planets? Anyone in that technological age should see it coming. We got talking trees, you got groaning Wookies. We have Eagles and Nazgul, you have Tie Fighters and X-Wings. Giant eye-ball or "the Force". Either way, one is fantasy, one is sci-fi. They are going to be strange to outsiders.

ok, fine, what about a thing that destroys entire planets? Anyone in that technological age should see it coming. We got talking trees, you got groaning Wookies. We have Eagles and Nazgul, you have Tie Fighters and X-Wings. Giant eye-ball or "the Force". Either way, one is fantasy, one is sci-fi. They are going to be strange to outsiders.

Im fine with that. I just thought LOTR sucked. Its just my opinion. I thought all the stuff in Star Wars, while fantasy, made sense. Its futuristic, sure. But the Death Star is just a big machine. People build machines all the time. The Force = Magic in LOTR. We all accept that and are familiar with the concept of magic.

I didnt understand the eyeball. All the stuff just didnt fit together well for me. That goddamn Smeegle thing with 2 names was ****ing stupid. He's good, hes bad, hes good, hes bad, hes talking to himself, he's trying to kill somebody, why the hell didnt Frodo and Rudy just ****ing kill him? I would have just because he's annoying. And oh yeah, the trying to kill them thing too. Maybe there was just too much stuff going on, but it didnt work for me.

Im fine with that. I just thought LOTR sucked. Its just my opinion. I thought all the stuff in Star Wars, while fantasy, made sense. Its futuristic, sure. But the Death Star is just a big machine. People build machines all the time. The Force = Magic in LOTR. We all accept that and are familiar with the concept of magic.

See, I had the exact OPPOSITE reaction to the two series. Star Wars seemed so far fetched to me that I had an exceptionally difficult time suspending my disbelief. Blasters, space travel, etc... it was just all too much for me. Even when I was a kid. Whereas, in LOTR, Tolkein took much of his inspiration from parts of medieval societies that had actually existed. He also borrowed liberally from the mythologies of those people. It made it much easier for me to suspend disbelief.

I didnt understand the eyeball. All the stuff just didnt fit together well for me. That goddamn Smeegle thing with 2 names was ****ing stupid. He's good, hes bad, hes good, hes bad, hes talking to himself, he's trying to kill somebody, why the hell didnt Frodo and Rudy just ****ing kill him? I would have just because he's annoying. And oh yeah, the trying to kill them thing too. Maybe there was just too much stuff going on, but it didnt work for me.

Can I guess that you've never read the books? The people who I know that did not care for the movies were generally the ones who had never read the books and had little background in medieval history or mythology. Which is fine. It isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The original Star Wars flicks were better then LOTR. The ones they made recently were complete garbage IMO, so much so that I refused to watch the last one. I can't stand to see something so great be so completely destroyed. The whole thing has really made me dislike Lucas Arts, which I already thought poorly of because of their TERRIBLE support for their video games. One or two horrid patches that ruin the game play and then they drop it and forget they ever made it.

The original Star Wars flicks were better then LOTR. The ones they made recently were complete garbage IMO, so much so that I refused to watch the last one. I can't stand to see something so great be so completely destroyed. The whole thing has really made me dislike Lucas Arts, which I already thought poorly of because of their TERRIBLE support for their video games. One or two horrid patches that ruin the game play and then they drop it and forget they ever made it.

The third one was the best of the 3!!!!! It was the first one that sucked giant rhinocerous ****.

The third one was the best of the 3!!!!! It was the first one that sucked giant rhinocerous ****.
I know it - everyone has said the same thing. The problem is the other two made me hate the characters so much I can't get motivated to even rent the thing.

This thread has been done before:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102361&highlight=Star+LOTR

Since you've only been here a couple of months, and this was done previously almost a year ago we'll cut you some slack. However, in the future you may want to consider doing searches for the topics you are posting (I am noticing a trend with your threads, e.g., Batman vs Superman is also a repeat).

BTW, Lord of the Rings hands down. :)

I don't think anyone understands the damn eyeball. I read the books and still don't understand the damn eyeball. It's a giant flaming eye and it looks at stuff - that's all they think we need to know.

In truth I'm fine with that. Whatever it's a flaming eye and it looks at stuff, cool. The thing that bothered me was the fact that Frodo is the most annoying hero of all time. He complains constantly never stops feeling sorry for himself or pretending he's doing it all while his friends pull his butt out of the fire seemingly every 5 minutes. He is actually carried up the damn mountain at the end... after being saved from a giant spider, from a castel full of troops, and from himself several times. Through the whole movie (and the books) I was hoping he'd be killed off.

Also I'm with you on the killing of that naked crack addict.

The thing that bothered me was the fact that Frodo is the most annoying hero of all time. He complains constantly never stops feeling sorry for himself or pretending he's doing it all while his friends pull his butt out of the fire seemingly every 5 minutes. He is actually carried up the damn mountain at the end... after being saved from a giant spider, from a castel full of troops, and from himself several times. Through the whole movie (and the books) I was hoping he'd be killed off.

Gotta agree with you there. As much as I enjoy the LOTR, Frodo was wimpy and annoying. Wouldn't have minded seeing the spider suck out his innards like a hobbit milkshake, or watch him slowly be burned alive by the lava at the end. Oh well, we can't all have what we want.

Too close to call. The first three or the trilogy were really well done and broke a lot of ground and made science fiction movies much more viable and profitable. I haven't seen the same of LOTR with the exception of the C.S. Lewis movie. I think LOTR movies had a much smaller cultural impact, but they were probably better made strictly as movies and the acting was overall better.

Too close to call. The first three or the trilogy were really well done and broke a lot of ground and made science fiction movies much more viable and profitable. I haven't seen the same of LOTR with the exception of the C.S. Lewis movie. I think LOTR movies had a much smaller cultural impact, but they were probably better made strictly as movies and the acting was overall better.

yeh, the cultural impact of Star Wars was greater, but from the standpoint of acting and overall, Lord of the Rings was better. However, I think we were going by storylines here, and I still stand by LOTR.

Storylinewise you are comparing to fairytales. Luke equals Frodo. Han equals Aragorn. The young orphan is sent on a quest and becomes the underdog hero to save the world from evil. The scoundrel, robber with a good heart redeems himself and become the noble leader in the war against evil. Both are incredibly archetypal and familiar stories. LOTR is more of a war story. Star Wars is a war hero or cowboy tale. The war takes a seat to the heroes. LOTR the war and the heroes are on an equal plane. In fact, Frodo's tale in some respect is undertold and Aragorn is the true lead of the LOTR movies.

Star Wars is better because I was younger, it somehow manages to be innocent without being hokey, and the characters have become part of the cultural tapestry.

Lotr is better because it's deeper, the acting is richer, and special effects have grown up a bit.

I don't think anyone understands the damn eyeball. I read the books and still don't understand the damn eyeball. It's a giant flaming eye and it looks at stuff - that's all they think we need to know.

It's the "All-Seeing Eye". It searches for the ring at all times. It is the constant danger that Fordo must try to avoid. It is the stress and strain, the weight on the ring that Frodo must bear at all times. The eye seeks the ring and the ring seeks to be found by the eye. The closer they get to Mordor the clearer the eye can see and the most detail it can pick up. Therefore the greater danger.

The thing that bothered me was the fact that Frodo is the most annoying hero of all time. He complains constantly never stops feeling sorry for himself or pretending he's doing it all while his friends pull his butt out of the fire seemingly every 5 minutes. He is actually carried up the damn mountain at the end... after being saved from a giant spider, from a castel full of troops, and from himself several times. Through the whole movie (and the books) I was hoping he'd be killed off.

Frodo is actually one of the most "real" heroes I've ever encountered in fantasy works. He doesn't want to be doing what he's doing. He'd rather be home by the fire smoking a pipe with a pint of ale. He's always wanted to have an adventure, but once he's one his own adventure, he'd rather be back home. He's the reluctant hero. The hero who needs his companions to keep him safe. THAT'S what makes him so honest and "real" in my mind.

Also I'm with you on the killing of that naked crack addict.

Gollum/Smeagle is there as a constant reminder to Frodo of what HE will become if he allows the ring to take control of him. Frodo even comments on it himself at one point when Sam wants to kill Smeagle... by telling Sam that he has to believe that there's hope for Smeagle to believe that there's hope for himself as well.

Archived