Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SW or LOTR

krazykripple18

Well Star Wars isn't a trilogy, it's a saga.

However, when I hear Star Wars trilogy I think of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. These were my three favorite movies when I was younger.

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are hard to compare though, because Star Wars are movies turned into book, and Lord of the Rings are books turned into movies.

Star Wars is more straight forward with more action, whereas Lord of the Ring has much more plot depth, developement, side storyline, character developement, and history. Lord of the Rings plays more to my interests, but the original Star Wars movies will forever have a special place in my heart.

I remember we had a thread about this almost a year ago when the 3rd Star Wars movie came out. I declared then I still prefer Lord of the Rings, and will say it again now. However this thread will soon be overrun with Star Wars geeks left and right.

Personally, my preference is for the Lord of the Rings saga than the Star Wars space opera.

I've always had a serious interest in medieval history, that type of combat and the visual images created by the fantasy genre. Whereas I've never really gotten into the "space opera", hi-tech, whiz-bang type of stuff that Star Wars, Star Trek and most of the other sci-fi sagas have been based in.

As far out and unrealistic as both series were, I always found LOTR to be more realistic in its plot twists and character development. I also found the characters to be deeper, more interesting and more likable. I tended to side with the bad guys in the Star Wars saga... Boba Fett, Darth Vader, the Emporer.

Personally, my preference is for the Lord of the Rings saga than the Star Wars space opera.

I've always had a serious interest in medieval history, that type of combat and the visual images created by the fantasy genre. Whereas I've never really gotten into the "space opera", hi-tech, whiz-bang type of stuff that Star Wars, Star Trek and most of the other sci-fi sagas have been based in.

As far out and unrealistic as both series were, I always found LOTR to be more realistic in its plot twists and character development. I also found the characters to be deeper, more interesting and more likable. I tended to side with the bad guys in the Star Wars saga... Boba Fett, Darth Vader, the Emporer.

You found LOTR to be realistic? I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but they are both fantasy series...I doubt realism was at the front of Tolkien or Lucas' mind as they wrote.

You found LOTR to be realistic? I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but they are both fantasy series...I doubt realism was at the front of Tolkien or Lucas' mind as they wrote.

MORE Realistic. I said MORE realistic. Obviously one's Fantasy and the other is Sci-Fi. You might want to re-read my prior post.

There was less suspension of disbelief required, so far as I am concerned. If you were to replace the orcs and hobbits with humans, and tone down the magic, you could very easily see LOTR written as a "historical fiction" novel based in medieval Europe. You could almost make LOTR fit into a couple of the real medieval mythologies with only a moderate amount of revision.

Star Wars, in comparison, doesn't even come close to being able to have ANY contact with reality. It's so far out there both in the setting, the technology and the absolutely terrible character development that I have a hard time watching the movies most of the time.

I hope that clears things up for you.

MORE Realistic. I said MORE realistic. Obviously one's Fantasy and the other is Sci-Fi. You might want to re-read my prior post.

There was less suspension of disbelief required, so far as I am concerned. If you were to replace the orcs and hobbits with humans, and tone down the magic, you could very easily see LOTR written as a "historical fiction" novel based in medieval Europe. You could almost make LOTR fit into a couple of the real medieval mythologies with only a moderate amount of revision.

Star Wars, in comparison, doesn't even come close to being able to have ANY contact with reality. It's so far out there both in the setting, the technology and the absolutely terrible character development that I have a hard time watching the movies most of the time.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Okay, okay, point taken.

As far as character developement in Star Wars...the developement was bound to be a little loony, seeing as the story started with the third installment. The characters didn't really develope until 25 years after the movies were released.

Star Wars all the way. LOTR was boring to me.

Considering your screen-name, that doesn't surprise me. For those who know of my interest in medieval history, I'm sure my preference for LOTR doesn't surprise you either. I think which a person prefers really depends on what that person has an interest in. People with an interest in high technology, the future and things like that are more likely to be interested in Star Wars, I believe. Whereas those whose interests are more artistic, or historically based seem to prefer LOTR, from what I've seen.

Guest sith lord
Considering your screen-name, that doesn't surprise me. For those who know of my interest in medieval history, I'm sure my preference for LOTR doesn't surprise you either. I think which a person prefers really depends on what that person has an interest in. People with an interest in high technology, the future and things like that are more likely to be interested in Star Wars, I believe. Whereas those whose interests are more artistic, or historically based seem to prefer LOTR, from what I've seen.

I admit that I like a lot of movies that provide high technology, but it have to be connected to a good story and the story of the Skywalkers is a good story.

Did you actually read them, or settle for watching the Peter Jackson cinema rendition?

I just watched the movies. Same with Star Wars. I will freely admit that books are ALWAYS better than movies. But the movies were just strange. A big ****ing eyeball in the sky? WTF is that? Giant battle going on, all of a sudden a bunch of trees show up and start kicking ass after they had spent the previous hour moving slower than ****. :whoknows:

Maybe its because I grew up with Star Wars, and I "get it." I didnt "get" LOTR.

I love 'em both, but to me, it's gotta be LOTR.

They're 2 different animals, aren't they? I may be wrong, (and too deep into a few Peg Leg stouts to research), but I thought that Star Wars was written specifically for the big screen.

LOTR is one of my favorite stories of all time, (yeah...I'm one of those geeks who have read, and re-read everything by Tolkien countless times). I'm pretty that it was never meant for the big screen. That being said....I thought that Peter Jackson did one helluva job, and pretty much stayed the course......

I love the original star wars movies (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) and try to pretend that the other three never happened. So, with that in mind, Star Wars hands down.

I wasn't a big fan of the LOTR movies and yes, I've read the books. I suspect if I hadn't, I'd have liked the movies better. I didn't like Peter Jackson's interpretation of the material.

Archived