Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Jason Campbell...

congo4269

I'm a bit confused. I keep hearing mixed reports on JC's progress, and I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

Last year, everyone was talking about how 'smart' of a quarterback he was; how he had gone through 4 offensive coordinators in as many years at Auburn, and how he would be amazing at the next level for that reason.

At the same time, however, I have heard reports (I'm pretty sure Gibbs even said something about this at the end of the season) that he is progressing along a little slowly, and having trouble picking up the system (making bad reads, etc). Am I wrong in this? Can anyone verify if he is progressing along well, or if he has been having problems? I'm not worried, because I'm sure that he's going to be the man, but I could use a little clarification with so many conflicting reports going around.

I'm a bit confused. I keep hearing mixed reports on JC's progress, and I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

i'm interested too but i'll make my own assessment when i see him play this preseason. gibbs won't say anything bad about anyone. bugel exaggerates too much and i don't anything about saunders. so i'll let my eyes do the evaluating.

I think it may all be true. He's smart, but he's a rookie and so he hasn't picked things up yet. Also, being third string how much time did he really get on the practice field? Mark got most of the time, Ramsey filled in because he needed to be ready to back Mark up and Jason got the leftovers. Training Camp will tell the tale.

Last year, everyone was talking about how 'smart' of a quarterback he was; how he had gone through 4 offensive coordinators in as many years at Auburn, and how he would be amazing at the next level for that reason.

At the same time, however, I have heard reports (I'm pretty sure Gibbs even said something about this at the end of the season) that he is progressing along a little slowly, and having trouble picking up the system (making bad reads, etc). Am I wrong in this? Can anyone verify if he is progressing along well, or if he has been having problems? I'm not worried, because I'm sure that he's going to be the man, but I could use a little clarification with so many conflicting reports going around.

uh-oh...somebody is catching on....

I think the fact that we brought in a veteran QB who HAS NOT really played in 5 years speaks volumes regarding how far along they feel Jason is. Gibbs always prefers veterans, but if he didn't have confidence in JC, he probably would have gone after a QB with more experience or upside ... such as Garcia, Frerotte, etc. I believe based on how well Ramsey sat last year, that they were shipping him no matter what just to be fair to him.

I think the fact that we brought in a veteran QB who HAS NOT really played in 5 years speaks volumes regarding how far along they feel Jason is. Gibbs always prefers veterans, but if he didn't have confidence in JC, he probably would have gone after a QB with more experience or upside ... such as Garcia, Frerotte, etc. I believe based on how well Ramsey sat last year, that they were shipping him no matter what just to be fair to him.

My thoughts exactly - if JC was a big question mark - a more seasoned backup would be here - not Todd Collins. Collins is here for one reason: tutor Campbell. I am pretty sure Brunell will pick things up just fine.

Loving the fact that Sauders is our OC...no one has a better staff, period.

I think Campbell will be fine, or yes, we would have brought a veteran with more starting experience. Also, Campbell may not fully grasp the system until he gets playing time, and that will most likely be preseason.

They brung in another vet QB to help Brunell and Campbell learn Saunders offense...nothing to do with Campbell's ability.

Be patient...Campbell is still young. Lots of QBs have sat the first year...Hell, Rivers sat 2 years. Why? Because there was a capable vet on the roster.

Same situation.

I think the fact that we brought in a veteran QB who HAS NOT really played in 5 years speaks volumes regarding how far along they feel Jason is. QUOTE]

I disagree here. In my oppinion, Collins was chosen specifically as a mentor for JC... Collins' lack of playing time is not as important as his exposure to Saunders' system. So this could be a sign that JC needs 2 mentors (Collins for the system, Brunell for the experience), and is not coming along well. Just a thought...

On a random note, I just got season tix 3rd row behind the skins bench on Craiglist for a rediculously low price, and I've never been more excited for anything in my life. If you are looking to get tix, I'd check it out. (not trying to plug craiglist, just trying to help anyone out looking for them).

Or the flipside of tha congo4269, is that Collins will pass on his knowledge of Saunders system because he is a better 2nd/3rd string (by virtue of the fact that he knows the system) than the others available veterans.

I read a quote somewhere (on here i think) that he was brought in to compete with Campbell for the backup job. This may not be anything to do with how well or badly he (Campbell) is grasping the system, it is perhaps just insurance in case Brunell goes down and Campbell (if he is put in to start) struggles.

As others more versed in this than i am have rightly said. Training camp i think will answer these questions.

or maybe saunders likes his back up QB from the Chiefs?:whoknows:

Todd has been a backup because a certain QB plays all the time and never gets injured

:doh: He was brought in to teach both Jason and Mark about the system from a quarterback's perspective. I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins listed fourth on the depth chart behind Randle-El.

Guest amaprius

I think it speaks volumes about JG when he could have traded for Ramsey 2 years ago and gotten a first or second for him...like was on the table....then he bungles a 4th round last year, sits Ramsey in a playoff game (which could have increased his trade value) when MBV is obviously off his game because of injury and then let him go this year for a sixth. If he says that JC isnt ready that may be a compliment to JC. I am not sure JG knows how to evaluate QB's and play them to their potential...Saunders does....Gibbs is questionable. I cant wait for Saunders evaluation of JC. That will be solid.

Actually, the suggestion that Gibbs said anything even REMOTELY like Campbell was progressing slowly IS dead, flat wrong. Gibbs was nothing short of effusive about Campbell the one time he actually spent any time on the subject just after the season ended.

To take it a step further, I challenge anyone here to come up with a quote from anyone who has had daily contact with Campbell in practice and in the meeting room that comes close to even hinting at that.

Do that and we'll have something to actually talk about. Until then, it's just more of the same old song and dance.

What you heard is true to a degree, Gibbs did say that he progressed slowly his first year, but he also stated that the organization expected that because the system that the skins were using last year was nothing like what JC saw in college. On a positive side, Gibbs also said that JC has shown extreme dedication to learning the system by putting in extra time with film study and playbook study. And that he also has shown aspiration to learn from veterans by always talking to Brunnell about different plays and such. So even though he progressed slowly last year, Gibbs and company still have a lot of faith in him. One statement made was "Jason has shown more mental discipline then any other rookie I have seen in"

Actually, the suggestion that Gibbs said anything even REMOTELY like Campbell was progressing slowly IS dead, flat wrong. Gibbs was nothing short of effusive about Campbell the one time he actually spent any time on the subject just after the season ended.

To take it a step further, I challenge anyone here to come up with a quote from anyone who has had daily contact with Campbell in practice and in the meeting room that comes close to even hinting at that.

Do that and we'll have something to actually talk about. Until then, it's just more of the same old song and dance.

Wow!! Keep trying to throw your "Internet weight" around. Gibbs did say that he was progressing slowly in regards to learning the system, but that he expected it and basically that JC was further ahead then what most thought he would be. Gibbs has always had high expectations of QB's, and JC I believe is the youngest QB Gibbs ever coached, so JC wasn't at the level Gibbs is used to, that is where the statement came from, but before you go off the depend challenging everything other people say, read all reports, not just some of them.

Wow!! Keep trying to throw your "Internet weight" around. Gibbs did say that he was progressing slowly in regards to learning the system, but that he expected it and basically that JC was further ahead then what most thought he would be. Gibbs has always had high expectations of QB's, and JC I believe is the youngest QB Gibbs ever coached, so JC wasn't at the level Gibbs is used to, that is where the statement came from, but before you go off the depend challenging everything other people say, read all reports, not just some of them.

Wow!! Keep trying to change the subject and not answer the question.

Here, I'll even start the ball rolling :

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15048

On QB, #17 Jason Campbell's development this season:

"Many times, you say to yourself, 'Okay, they're not getting to take snaps from a regular offense.' But what they are doing is [attending] meetings. They're getting all of Coach Musgrave's coaching. They're getting all of the reps in practice as far as throwing all of the practice reps. They get the whole off-season program, where they do get to work with the first-team receivers. They get to play in pre-season. Because you have to absorb the whole offense and get everyone lined up in the right place, it's a lot to do from a mental standpoint. I feel confident that, if Jason had been thrust into things this year, he would have played well. It's probably best that he got to sit through a whole year. In my experience, when [former Redskins QBs Stan]Humphries, [Mark] Rypien, or Jay Schroeder went through that process and got put in there, they were amazingly prepared. I think it comes from just sitting there, hearing it all, watching somebody else--you can learn a lot from someone else throwing a football and making a mistake -- being at the games, and being around the pressure. You realize that they could be in there. I know that there are guys that just stepped right in and had a great year, but not many. It's probably best for him to hear it, see it, go through it. They gain some confidence and know what to do. Then, they're kind of chomping at the bit -- rather than saying, 'Hey, am I ready for this?' Well, we see in practice. We see a lot. My impression is that he's very accurate. I think he's going to be a guy that can really roam with a football. I think he's going to make plays with his feet. I think he has a sense of what the pocket is. He'll slide. He's going to be hard to sack because he's so big. We've seen a lot out of him. Now, he needs to play. We'll get into that. I laughingly told him, 'Take the hat off and throw it away. You're getting ready to go work. You're going to have to earn your money.' [CB, #22] Carlos [Rogers] was yelling at him, too. He said, 'I told my buddy that he has to start earning his money. The rest of us are out there playing.' Anyway, I think Jason had a year that was probably good for him. He got to hear it, see it, and go through it. He probably learned a lot."

Your turn.

Sorry ScottnSharrer but Om is right on this one again. Gibbs had only good things to say about JC, I think he has a lot of confidence in his ability.

I think it speaks volumes about JG when he could have traded for Ramsey 2 years ago and gotten a first or second for him...like was on the table....then he bungles a 4th round last year, sits Ramsey in a playoff game (which could have increased his trade value) when MBV is obviously off his game because of injury and then let him go this year for a sixth. If he says that JC isnt ready that may be a compliment to JC. I am not sure JG knows how to evaluate QB's and play them to their potential...Saunders does....Gibbs is questionable. I cant wait for Saunders evaluation of JC. That will be solid.

Um, what? How would he be unable to evaluate quarterbacks and be not only a Hall of Fame coach but also be the *ONLY* coach to win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks? Joe Gibbs knows quarterbacks, hell, every position, better than anyone out there.

Let me be the first one to bash you for this post. You have got to be joking with some of the stuff you said about Ole Joe, your not sure "JG knows how to evaluate QB's or get them to play to their potential", that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He made Mark Rypien look like Dan Fouts, do you remember this, and he "evaluated" Ramsey and saw a QB that made dumb decision's and knew that our team couldn't win that way, do you somehow disagree? How many games did PR cost us with stupid turnovers, more that I care to think about, once again JG made the right choice, as he usually does.

Let me be the first one to bash you for this post. You have got to be joking with some of the stuff you said about Ole Joe, your not sure "JG knows how to evaluate QB's or get them to play to their potential", that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He made Mark Rypien look like Dan Fouts, do you remember this, and he "evaluated" Ramsey and saw a QB that made dumb decision's and knew that our team couldn't win that way, do you somehow disagree? How many games did PR cost us with stupid turnovers, more that I care to think about, once again JG made the right choice, as he usually does.

Beat ya by three minutes! ;)

Questioning Gibbs on anything football is like questioning Gibbs on anything football. I mean it's such a dumb thing that I can't even think of something to compare it to.

Archived