Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone like the nickname 'The Dirtbags' or should we try to think of something else?

whatmeworry

'The Hogs' were one of the great, if not the greatest, offensive lines in history. And the name provided an idenity to the players that have the least recognized, but most important roles on a team.

Now we have 'The Dirtbags'. Maybe it's just me but it just doesn't quite cut it. Right off though I can't come up with anything better.

Maybe if we came up with a really good monicker it would catch on with the coaches and players.

What do you all think?

I like dirtbags...makes them sound like lunch pail guys who can give you a beating...but the thing is Bugel thought of it...how can we compete with that?

I like the 'lunch pail' aspect and all. just not crazy about the name. but like you said buges came up with it so i guess it is what it is.

"Dirtbags" has a certain connotation in military life -- it refers to someone who is lazy, sleazy, unclean, stupid, dishonest, always in trouble, etc.

I don't know if you want a label like that attached to your O-line. I suspect not.

BlueTalon no disrespect intended. But, "soft" isnt a label you want attached to your star RB either.

:silly:

Just giving you a little smack talk. :cheers:

As far as the name goes... It is what it is. They (players) like the name and its almost started to grow on me.

Whatmeworry, what suggestions do you have ?

I personnaly love the "Dirtbag" connotation. It leads you to believe that you can just take over them. Theyre just "Dirtbags," nothing special. However you and I know that this line is something special. The Dirtbags will be a key to our offensive prowess with Brunell next year.

Hail:helmet:

They haven't earned a name yet. Names are reserved for the great groups. The Posse, the Steel Curtain, the Hogs, the Doomsday Defense, etc. This group hasn't been elite enough or even been good enough long enough to be known by a name. The Hogs weren't the Hogs until they changed the game and what an offensive lineman was supposed to be. Grimm and Jacoby were the models for the modern offensive linemen.

The name is embarassingly contrived, as someone correctly observed; has bad connotations, as someone else has pointed out correctly; and should be scrapped, as jinxed, since it ushered in a time of ineptitude and injury and will forever remind us of that.

They haven't earned a name yet. Names are reserved for the great groups. The Posse, the Steel Curtain, the Hogs, the Doomsday Defense, etc. This group hasn't been elite enough or even been good enough long enough to be known by a name. The Hogs weren't the Hogs until they changed the game and what an offensive lineman was supposed to be. Grimm and Jacoby were the models for the modern offensive linemen.

:applause: Amen.

And what do "Hogs" make you think of?
Hogs are big powerful animals that aren't afraid to get dirty.

I think Burgold had the best point -- your O-line hasn't earned or achieved any notoriety, and it looks really contrived to tag them like that, especially if it's someone in the organization that tagged them. :2cents:

I'm with you on this, I never liked the name. Here's some alternatives that I also don't like. ;)

The Plowhorses, The Clydesdales, The Mules , The Great Wall of "Raljon", The Sissies, The Pansies, The Daisies, The Bulldozers, The Earth Movers, The Ostriches, The Epileptics, The Beasts of Burden, The Pandas, The Swines, The Underpants Soilers, The Slobberknockers, The Werewolves, The Longhorns, The Browbeaters, The Encyclopedia Salesmen, The Tugboats, The Gracious Gentlemen, The Warlords, The Plastic Surgeons, The Cantankerous Geezers, The Bookworms, The Pile Drivers, The Grouchy *******s, The Partisans, The Politicians, The Parole Officers, The Prison Guards, The Epicureans, The Philosophers, The Mathematicians, The Backbreakers, The Pillsbury Doughboys, The Pickpockets, The Assassins, The Captain Kirks, The Snipers, The Stampeeders, The Jellyfish, The Orangutans, The Doomsday Apparitions, The Toublemakers, The Grandmothers, The Battleships, The All-nighters, The Pie Tasters, The Meat Eaters, The Sparrows, The Juggernauts, The Wimps, The Wankers, The Wounded Ducks, The James Taylors, The Kenny G's, The Grizzlys.

And that's just for starters.

Archived