Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

School's 'Holocaust' Experiment Upsets Parents

China

Im with IHeart. Not only does it teach them what happened, it teaches kids what it feels like to be on the wrong end of this kind of treatment. Hopefully it will teach them to respect everyone equally. Hard lessons are the best lessons.

Another point i would like to raise. When can we divide the schools up into PC and Non-PC? Anyone who wants their kids to go to the Non-PC signs a waiver saying they will never sue or complain, they get the itinerary up front, and their kids get to do stuff like this, play dodgeball, use the words "under God" in the Pledge, and the teachers are free to give the kids a good education without the handcuffs. Ill sign the waiver right now.

i'm w/ you. our kids can go to the same school.

Another point i would like to raise. When can we divide the schools up into PC and Non-PC? Anyone who wants their kids to go to the Non-PC signs a waiver saying they will never sue or complain, they get the itinerary up front, and their kids get to do stuff like this, play dodgeball, use the words "under God" in the Pledge, and the teachers are free to give the kids a good education without the handcuffs. Ill sign the waiver right now.

That would be a private school there buddy, they have them but they cost too much money, you will never see that in a public school, face it you are gonna have to pay out the nose to keep from having to put up with the PC bullcrap

that would be awesome!! I'd teach a non-PC school....and I'd happily put up Santa Claus on my walls, celebrate Halloween without worrying, let my kids play touch football at recess, and all that other stuff!

That would be a private school there buddy, they have them but they cost too much money, you will never see that in a public school, face it you are gonna have to pay out the nose to keep from having to put up with the PC bullcrap

Well its high time the noncomplainers START complaining that the complainers' complaining is ****ing up their kids.

dude, pc reigns at private schools too.

Dear lord, the anti-PC police attacks fast eh?. I went to both public schools and private, PC public schools, and I got a fine education and played dodgeball as well. Quit whining, this is not PCism and quit pretending it is, coddling is not PC, bad parenting and a sense of entitlement have led to this. Lets go back to the validity of the teaching method and quit harping on the "PC" boogeyman. PC education ALLOWS holocaust teaching, it is politically correct to discuss discrimination, it is politically correct to acknowledge that a group has been through some rough patches. Non PC teaching (which I have experienced) is basically a bunch of dead white dudes kicking butt and taking names, with no time given to social or economic history. While we may have different definitions of what constitutes PC, the way it is described as some sort of vague but great evil is pretty annoying.

I notice you added: they get the itinerary up front

Yeah, but just so the parents can make an informed decision on which PC level they want their kids in. As with everything, there is a sliding scale. Some parents would have a problem with "Holocaust" day, some wouldnt.

Excuse me? This type of social experiment is the height of Political Correctness. Unless you this something other than I do about what PC is.

Not following.......

Nothing is more Politically Correct than holding an experiment in a school to try to teach the children what it is like to feel like an oppressed minority. That is PC to the max.

Political Correctness is not just a label for everything that annoys you in this world.

Here, Wislow explained it better than I did.

Quit whining, this is not PCism and quit pretending it is, coddling is not PC, bad parenting and a sense of entitlement have led to this. Lets go back to the validity of the teaching method and quit harping on the "PC" boogeyman. PC education ALLOWS holocaust teaching, it is politically correct to discuss discrimination, it is politically correct to acknowledge that a group has been through some rough patches. Non PC teaching (which I have experienced) is basically a bunch of dead white dudes kicking butt and taking names, with no time given to social or economic history. While we may have different definitions of what constitutes PC, the way it is described as some sort of vague but great evil is pretty annoying.

Now does it make sense?

Nothing is more Politically Correct than holding an experiment in a school to try to teach the children what it is like to feel like an oppressed minority. That is PC to the max.

Political Correctness is not just a label for everything that annoys you in this world.

I see your point. I dont think it is Politically Correct to label a group of students "Jews" and intentionally persecuting them, but I agree that it is good for the kids.

When can we divide the schools up into PC and Non-PC? Anyone who wants their kids to go to the Non-PC signs a waiver saying they will never sue or complain, they get the itinerary up front, and their kids get to do stuff like this, play dodgeball, use the words "under God" in the Pledge, and the teachers are free to give the kids a good education without the handcuffs. Ill sign the waiver right now.

This seems like a strange definition of PC. What public schools implement is PC.

Currently it IS politically correct to use the words "under God" in the Pledge. My son's public school does play dodgeball. I'd rather they played a real sport in PE but they don't because different kids would have vastly different skill levels, and exposing those differences is something the schools don't want to do.

Dear lord, the anti-PC police attacks fast eh?. I went to both public schools and private, PC public schools, and I got a fine education and played dodgeball as well. Quit whining, this is not PCism and quit pretending it is, coddling is not PC, bad parenting and a sense of entitlement have led to this. Lets go back to the validity of the teaching method and quit harping on the "PC" boogeyman. PC education ALLOWS holocaust teaching, it is politically correct to discuss discrimination, it is politically correct to acknowledge that a group has been through some rough patches. Non PC teaching (which I have experienced) is basically a bunch of dead white dudes kicking butt and taking names, with no time given to social or economic history. While we may have different definitions of what constitutes PC, the way it is described as some sort of vague but great evil is pretty annoying.

Word. :D

i agree. Simulations are a fantastic way of teaching kids. I don't think the experiment is lame at all. If the kids don't like how they are treated, it will teach them not to act that way towards others in the future. The reason we study history is to learn from our mistakes and to not let them happen again...this experiment put kids in the shoes of the Jewish people during the Holocaust....of course they'll be upset about it. And the fact that the kid was crying DID teach him something- he didn't want to be Jewish. That could spark a debate the next day when the teacher comes back to reflect on the experience with the class- such as, if you were Jewish during the Holocaust, would you try and hide the fact so you wouldn't be persecuted? Would you change religions?

And I agree that the kid was acting like a big baby. Parents need to teach their kids that they can't always get what they want and they WON'T always get what they want. The sooner that happens, the sooner kids will accept reality.

Why is it again that you are a republican? Teacher. . . brains (well outside of politics :silly: ) . . . conscious attitude. . . I'm baffled. Oh yea, the gay marriage thing, I remember that thread ;)

Why is it again that you are a republican? Teacher. . . brains (well outside of politics :silly: ) . . . conscious attitude. . . I'm baffled. Oh yea, the gay marriage thing, I remember that thread ;)

I think the brains part is why he is a republican, guess that's why you aren't... j/k, I had to get that little stab after you implied that a republican couldn't be smart;)

We had this same thing in 8th grade Language Arts. Before I go on, Im not trying to bash Jews or anything, just what I thought of it.

If you were an athlete you sat in a group, you got chips, and could use each other for help on the work. If you were not an athlete (he figured who was and who wasnt before class), you sat in silence facing the wall and he would yell at you. After about 20 minutes of pissing off the non athletes (jews in the experiment), he told us what he was doing.

For the entire quarter, we did not learn about grammar or anything english related that did not have to do with the Holocaust. An entire quarter of Language Arts was spent on the Holocaust. At the time, I didnt think anything of it, but now I look back and think how this guy pushed his religious suffering on us. Id be ok if I signed up for the class in college, but in 8th grade Language Arts, it has no idea. Anyhow, alot of the parents got mad not because he was teaching us about Jewish sufferings, but because he was suppose to be teaching us Language Arts...ie grammar and crap like that. I did learn alot, just wish he wouldnt have done it that way.

We had this same thing in 8th grade Language Arts. Before I go on, Im not trying to bash Jews or anything, just what I thought of it.

If you were an athlete you sat in a group, you got chips, and could use each other for help on the work. If you were not an athlete (he figured who was and who wasnt before class), you sat in silence facing the wall and he would yell at you. After about 20 minutes of pissing off the non athletes (jews in the experiment), he told us what he was doing.

For the entire quarter, we did not learn about grammar or anything english related that did not have to do with the Holocaust. An entire quarter of Language Arts was spent on the Holocaust. At the time, I didnt think anything of it, but now I look back and think how this guy pushed his religious suffering on us. Id be ok if I signed up for the class in college, but in 8th grade Language Arts, it has no idea. Anyhow, alot of the parents got mad not because he was teaching us about Jewish sufferings, but because he was suppose to be teaching us Language Arts...ie grammar and crap like that. I did learn alot, just wish he wouldnt have done it that way.

Anything can be overdone. Sounds like a good example of that.

well I've been told I'm "un"conscious about a variety of issues, and I've been told before that I'm heartless. But only for certain things...I just believe in self-sufficiency and not blaming others for your problems. Yeah, and gay marriage....I'm not bringing that up again :silly:

Archived