Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Self-Defense/Personal Protection Question.

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a topic that I pay a lot of attention to in my personal life. I always find it interesting to see how much attention and time other people pay to it. So...

How often do you think about Self-Defense & Personal Protection in your personal life?

a. Never. Not at all.

b. Rarely. Only if someone else brings it up or it's a big issue in the news.

c. Sometimes. Not very often, but from time to time.

d. Often. At least once a week.

e. Constantly. On a daily basis.

Sometimes. I've often thought about getting a gun for the house but I've got three kids under 7, the oldest of whom is autistic, and I don't feel I know enough about guns myself to keep them safe from one.

Personally, I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Out of habit I size up every person I come in contact with, and very rarely do I feel I'd be at a disadvantage in a brawl. Except for maybe when I hang out with Art. :)

In what aspect ?

I have weapons in my home but I dont check on them daily or even weekly.

I have alarms on my cars but there are times where I am going in for something and leave the windows down.

I have an alarm on my home but leave without setting it sometimes.

I am however very aware of my surroundings at all times. Observing and analyzing.

I know some martial arts and boxing but I dont actively fight or train anymore.

E) I am paranoid as hell, but you would never know

I have entertained the thought of getting a gun when the funds are right for it, and also constantly look around while I am walking anywhere and since I know the exact sounds of my house, anytime there is a foreign sound I slowly walk to our living room expecting to see an intruder

So yea, everyday

I fall into the "Constantly" catergory.

I carry a firearm and a combat flashlight a large percentage of the time that I am not at home. I have a folding knife and pepper spray with me pretty much all the time... inside the apartment or out of it.

I have a large number of habits that affect my daily life that are centered around self-defense... I won't sit with my back to the entrance in a public place. The locations and ways I park my Jeep are determined by self-defense concepts. Etc, Etc, Etc....

I checked "Often - at least once a week".

I keep an eye on the police blotter in the local paper and over the last few years it seems crime is creeping closer and closer to my home. Things like home invasions used to happen in town, but it was always on the other side of the city. There have been more and more incidents in my general neighborhood - even the old lady across the street had her home broken into while she was there. That seems to be the thing now - thugs breaking in and holding you/your family hostage while they ransack the house.

Our home is alarmed up, we have a dog...plus I'm one mean, crazy looking mother *****:)

...but I do find myself worrying more about it now than I did even a year ago....

Never.

I carry a 3.5" folding knife with me everywhere I go, but I consider it more a tool than a weapon.

I was shocked about how useful a knife really is once I started carrying mine around too.

I never really think about self defense. I mean, I observe my situtaion and size up people that I percieve to be a threat, but I don't feel the need to own a gun or have a home security system.

MSF: Why are you preoccupied with self-defense?

That's a good question, iheart. Every individual is going to have a very different answer. Here's mine...

I don't use credit cards so I often have in excess of $300 in cash with me at any one time. My physical appearance and demeanor makes me a target much of the time. It also means that I am not going to be able to physically overpower a potential assailant. I don't trust most human beings and modern American society is unfortunately a very dangerous place. Especially since I spend a large amount of my time in larger metropolitan areas that have fairly high crime rates.

Basically it boils down to the concept that I am responsible for my own safety and security. I don't expect the police or other people to save my butt if something bad happens. I train and work to hone my skills frequently. I hope to never have to use any of them, but I'd rather be ready IF I ever need them than to be wishing I'd had the skills the day after I needed them.

Occasionally.

I think it's unwise to be in either extreme in this poll. Like many things in life, it requires balance. If you are overly paranoid you might overeact like that wackjob redneck who shot a 16 year old boy to death for cutting through his yard. If you are unsuspecting you might have someone invade your home and victimize you when a little preparedness could have eliminated the problem.

I think it's unwise to be in either extreme in this poll. Like many things in life, it requires balance. If you are overly paranoid you might overeact like that wackjob redneck who shot a 16 year old boy to death for cutting through his yard. If you are unsuspecting you might have someone invade your home and victimize you when a little preparedness could have eliminated the problem.

It's not a matter of being paranoid. It's a matter of being prepared. I don't think I've ever met someone who really takes self-defense seriously who WANTS to ever have to use the skills and equipment that they train with. Unfortunately we live in a society where respect for other people and their property is increasingly a rarity. I am not going to give up the property that I worked hard to be able to afford or my physical health and life to somebody who is trying to take them from me. They're in for a rude surprise. As I said before, hopefully it will never come to that; but if it does I intend to be ready and to be the one who walks away from the altercation.

Often here. Doesn't mean I'm paranoid or preoccupied with it. Just choose to be prepared. There are bad people out there and I would be naive to think that it can never happen to me.

To avoid taking actions that would enable you to defend your home and more importantly, your family, is betting that it will never happen. But what are you betting? Loss of property, sure, and worse case, loss of life. It happens every single day. And no town, however small, or neighborhood, however nice, is immune.

The kids in the house argument is valid, but it's mainly due to the fact that there are so many idiots out there who haven't taken the time to explain to their children how dangerous a gun is, or purchased a gun safe. Shooting deaths and injuries involving children make me want to string up the worthless SOB that allowed it to happen. I'm all for strict purchase laws. Hell, an IQ test would be fine with me. Weed out the morons.

A gun in the home - I say gun because I believe it to be the best means of personal defense - is an insurance policy. Nothing more.

I think anyone that says "never" is being a bit dishonest. You must live in Mayberry. Have you never had to travel through a bad part of town at odd hours, or heard of a crime happening to someone you know? The thought of a crime happening to you never crossed your mind? Sure it did, but you NEVER thought about how you would defend yourself in that situation? Come on. Choosing "rarely" doesn't make you a paranoid gun nut. ;)

Innocent people are victimized every day in this world. Some of them chose to remain defenseless, some chose not to. Each side has the right to make their own choice and remain free from criticism and attacks from the other. :2cents:

And PS, vote for Marcus ;)

I think it's naive to completely dismiss the possibility of having to protect yourself. Usually it takes an example to drive the point home. Not to say you should dwell on it, which is unhealthy.

About a month ago my folks, who live in the same town as I do, heard a crash in their backroom at about 9:30pm. My old man, who just had both knees replaced went with his 40sw to see what the noise was. As he rounded the corner to the backroom a kid steps out covered in blood. He had dove through their window into the room and was like a cornered animal trying to get out. Finally my dad opens up the front door to at least get him out of the house and proceeds to chase him into their neighbors porch, holding the little red dot on his forhead until the cops arrived.

During this situation the kid was acting completely off the wall. And as it turns out his defense was that someone slipped something in his drink. He was a college kid who had been at a party at some apartments nearby.

Thankfully, my dad didn't have to shoot him, although the cops told him he would have been perfectly justified in doing so. But the point is, my sister, 9 month old niece and 4 year old nephew were visiting. My dad was incapacitated by the surgery he had had and my mom wouldn't really know what to do.

If that punk had made a move to go down the stairs where the bedrooms were, and was crazier than he turned out be, the gun would've saved their lives. The cops would've never made it their in time as evidenced by the fact that they didn't show up until 8 or 9 minutes after the 911 call.

You never know what's going to happen and being prepared, regardless of how unpleasant you may find the idea, is really a duty to those you love.

Edit: Just want to add that I am proud as I've ever been of the old man. He is still my hero.

I selected constantly.

I’ve been taking Hap Ki Do for the past 7 months which is a Korean self defense martial arts. I’m really enjoying the class and always think about what I’m learning. I didn’t join the class for self-defense but my wife was starting to take it wit her boss. So after she was taking it for 3 months and she got her 1st belt, I figured I better take it so she doesn’t beat me up. Well, technically it was her 2nd belt; the 1st one is given to you when you join.

Before joining the class I didn’t think about self defense too much, maybe every once in awhile when laying in bed thinking, I should at least have a baseball bat under my bed.

KAO - perfect example, and I'm glad your "old man" was prepared!

My Mom was living outside of Chapel Hill a few years ago when she was awoken by the sound of her bedroom window being forced open. A male hand reached through and started fumbling with the shades, trying to get in. She reached under her pillow, grabbed her 9MM and ****ed it, and shouted "I've got a gun!"

The hand promptly retreated and she never had a problem again.

She lives with me now, and has a small arsenal to choose from, but she still keeps that 9 close by her bed. :)

You never know what's going to happen and being prepared, regardless of how unpleasant you may find the idea, is really a duty to those you love.
:applause:

I was going to get a gun, but want the girls to both be above 7...

Looked at tasers.. they go 15-17 feet and then have a up close and personal. 500$

Then went with the spray pepper spray that goes 12 feet 12+ times.. 20$

gave one to a girl couple I know and one to grandma...

It's not a matter of being paranoid. It's a matter of being prepared. I don't think I've ever met someone who really takes self-defense seriously who WANTS to ever have to use the skills and equipment that they train with. Unfortunately we live in a society where respect for other people and their property is increasingly a rarity. I am not going to give up the property that I worked hard to be able to afford or my physical health and life to somebody who is trying to take them from me. They're in for a rude surprise. As I said before, hopefully it will never come to that; but if it does I intend to be ready and to be the one who walks away from the altercation.

It is essential to be prepared, be aware of your surroundings and take appropriate action.

But people ARE paranoid. Every year, family members shoot each other by mistake, thinking they were confronting a burgular.

If you go through life thinking a noise you hear in your house at night is probably a burgular, you have a different mindset to someone who investigates a noise considers burgulary a real, but remote possibility.

Of course it all depends on where you live, but most of us will never encounter a situation where deadly force is required to save our lives.

Archived