Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealFootball365:Redskins' recent WR acquisitions are questionable (MERGED & RETITLED)

usc35

I disagree.

While he questions our WR moves, I see no personal animosity there like with King or Pasquerelli (sp?).

He's wrong, of course. You need only to look at teams like the Patriots and this past season's Super Bowl Champion Steelers to see you can win with smaller WRs.

It seems many so-called "experts" still haven't grasped how much the more stricter enforcement of the 'illegal contact rule' has affected how offenses (and defenses) can operate.

You needed big guys before that could battle with defensive guys going down the field.

Now, with enforcement of this rule, you need smaller, speedier guys that can get away from them cause the DBs can't jostle with them anymore to slow them down.

Many of these same guys predicted doom with Moss last year. Now they act like they knew all along it would work out.

Hopefully, they'll be singing the same tune about Lloyd and Randle-El after this season. :).

I disagree.

While he questions our WR moves, I see no personal animosity there like with King or Pasquerelli (sp?).

He's wrong, of course. You need only to look at teams like the Patriots and this past season's Super Bowl Champion Steelers to see you can win with smaller WRs.

It seems many so-called "experts" still haven't grasped how much the more stricter enforcement of the 'illegal contact rule' has affected how offenses (and defenses) can operate.

You needed big guys before that could battle with defensive guys going down the field.

Now, with enforcement of this rule, you need smaller, speedier guys that can get away from them cause the DBs can't jostle with them anymore to slow them down.

Many of these same guys predicted doom with Moss last year. Now they act like they knew all along it would work out.

Hopefully, they'll be singing the same tune about Lloyd and Randle-El after this season. :).

you're right about the illegal contact rule. i hadn't considered that. i admittedly have been wishing for a big WR like Monk to go with the new smurfs.

I disagree.

No animosity?

"It seems like a classic case of Dan Snyder vastly overpaying for the wrong players. Only time will tell how this will turn out. However, if it doesn't work out, don't say I didn't tell you so."

He's just another moron under the assumption that Snyder is still making the calls regarding free agents. We know that's not the case any longer. Gibbs don't play that!!!

The thing that irks me the most about these articles is when they comment on Randle-El's production. The past two years, the Steelers have been LAST in the league in pass attempts per game. They do NOT throw the ball!! And they've got Hines Ward to catch the majority of balls.

I just wish these "journalists" would think to include that when talking about ARE. So waht, his production wasn't the greatest...considering the offense he was in, you should look at what he did when he had the ball!!!

Here is what the same site recently said about Randle El BEFORE the Redskins signed him:

"This would seem to leave Reggie Wayne and Antwaan Randle El as the class of this free agent class. . . . As for Randle El, a key cog in the Pittsburgh Steelers' Super Bowl season, the team choosing him will actually get three players in one -- a wide receiver, a kick returner and an emergency backup quarterback. Over his NFL career, the former Indiana University QB has not only proven himself a home run threat in the passing game, but has scored four times on punt returns and completed 14 of 16 passes."

"There was some consternation in Steeler Nation last year when the team let WR Plaxico Burress walk, only to be replaced with cheers for bargain basement free agent replacement Cedrick Wilson. The question is whether or not they can afford to do the same with Randle-El, who is not only a solid receiver but one of the league's best punt returners and a guy who can play quarterback in a pinch."

"Although Antwaan Randle-El is listed as a wide receiver on the Pittsburgh Steelers' roster, he also makes a perfect quarterback -- literally.

So far in the 2005-06 season, Randle-El has completed all three of his passes for 67 yards, one touchdown and a quarterback rating even Peyton Manning would drool over -- 158.3.

In addition, the Indiana University product has run 12 times for 73 yards, caught 35 passes for 558 yards and hauled back 44 punts for 448 yards (and two touchdowns).

The funny thing is that he is not the only multi-talent on the squad. Fellow receiver Hines Ward was a quarterback at the University of Georgia, and even Jerome (The Bus) Bettis has been known to launch a surprise pass on occasion.

"I guess you look at the Steelers to pound it, pound it, pass on third down and convert on third down," Ward said. "But every now and then, you see a couple of trick plays. We've got Antwaan, and we've got some right times to call them."

One of those "right times" came in the first round of the AFC playoffs against Cincinnati, when Randle-El took a cross-field pass from QB Ben Roethlisberger, then pitched the ball back to Roethlisberger, who hit a wide-open Cedric Wilson for a 43-yard touchdown that lifted Pittsburgh's lead from 21-17 to 28-17 and essentially broke the Bengals' backs.

It's this sort of thing that drives opposing defensive coordinators crazy. Rest assured, Seattle will be forewarned on Sunday."

:doh:

Here is what the same site recently said about Randle El BEFORE the Redskins signed him:

"This would seem to leave Reggie Wayne and Antwaan Randle El as the class of this free agent class. . . . As for Randle El, a key cog in the Pittsburgh Steelers' Super Bowl season, the team choosing him will actually get three players in one -- a wide receiver, a kick returner and an emergency backup quarterback. Over his NFL career, the former Indiana University QB has not only proven himself a home run threat in the passing game, but has scored four times on punt returns and completed 14 of 16 passes."

"There was some consternation in Steeler Nation last year when the team let WR Plaxico Burress walk, only to be replaced with cheers for bargain basement free agent replacement Cedrick Wilson. The question is whether or not they can afford to do the same with Randle-El, who is not only a solid receiver but one of the league's best punt returners and a guy who can play quarterback in a pinch."

"Although Antwaan Randle-El is listed as a wide receiver on the Pittsburgh Steelers' roster, he also makes a perfect quarterback -- literally.

So far in the 2005-06 season, Randle-El has completed all three of his passes for 67 yards, one touchdown and a quarterback rating even Peyton Manning would drool over -- 158.3.

In addition, the Indiana University product has run 12 times for 73 yards, caught 35 passes for 558 yards and hauled back 44 punts for 448 yards (and two touchdowns).

The funny thing is that he is not the only multi-talent on the squad. Fellow receiver Hines Ward was a quarterback at the University of Georgia, and even Jerome (The Bus) Bettis has been known to launch a surprise pass on occasion.

"I guess you look at the Steelers to pound it, pound it, pass on third down and convert on third down," Ward said. "But every now and then, you see a couple of trick plays. We've got Antwaan, and we've got some right times to call them."

One of those "right times" came in the first round of the AFC playoffs against Cincinnati, when Randle-El took a cross-field pass from QB Ben Roethlisberger, then pitched the ball back to Roethlisberger, who hit a wide-open Cedric Wilson for a 43-yard touchdown that lifted Pittsburgh's lead from 21-17 to 28-17 and essentially broke the Bengals' backs.

It's this sort of thing that drives opposing defensive coordinators crazy. Rest assured, Seattle will be forewarned on Sunday."

Can you say CONTRADICTORY?

Prove them all wrong, make the so called experts look like fools and it starts in SEPTEMBER 06

Exactly !, that's what I'm saying prove the nay sayers wrong. You really can't get but so upset over these so call experts which many of them have never played a down in their lives so what do they really know ?

What drives me crazy is how all these 'Experts' fail to realize how the game changed with the no-contact after 5 yards rule. But, fine by us. We'll have the last laugh and you know how the NFL is a copy cat league. Pretty soon, every team will be looking for that 'small' receiver who can cut on a dime.

What drives me crazy is how all these 'Experts' fail to realize how the game changed with the no-contact after 5 yards rule. But, fine by us. We'll have the last laugh and you know how the NFL is a copy cat league. Pretty soon, every team will be looking for that 'small' receiver who can cut on a dime.

And all they really have to do is take a look at the two most productive receivers in the game last year.

Hmmmm. What the site says now.

As a matter of fact, the Redskins definitely overpaid for the 5-10, 192 pound Randle El. In his four-year career, the most receptions that the former Steeler ever had in a season was 47. He's never pulled in more than three touchdown catches in a season, and he's eclipsed the 600-yard receiving mark just once in a single season. Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder gave a seven-year, $31 million contract for that? Not to mention the $11.5 million in guaranteed money. I know that Randle El has great versatility with his ability to return punts and kicks--and as a former college quarterback, he can even throw the ball--but does that really justify his price tag?

Interesting as well, is he asks, then just about answers his own question in the same paragraph. Not necessarily in that order. :)

"In his four-year career, the most receptions that the former Steeler ever had in a season was 47. He's never pulled in more than three touchdown catches in a season, and he's eclipsed the 600-yard receiving mark just once in a single season." -this is from the article

Isn't this the same exact argument that people used when talking about Santana Moss last year. Everybody said that he wasn't tall enough or that he hadn't done much in his career. But the truth of the matter for Santana Moss was that he was stuck in a 3rd receiver spot and hardly ever thrown to in comparison to the other two revievers. The same is probably true for Randle El, he didn't have to beat out two recievers for a chance to catch balls but he did play in a very run heavy offense and also had to beat out Hines Ward. But in my opinion I think he did the most damage to opposing teams returning punts which is what he will be doing for the skins this year. Also he is going to be playing under offensive coordinator Al Saunders so I am sure that he will get just as many passes thrown to him as everybody else.

Randle El is supposed to fit in the Skins offense very similarly to what he did in Pittsburg.

Most of the points that were made by that fool in the media were moot because Al Saunders was not even seriously considered. Now I know that the Chiefs haven't won the big game, but they were solid. Washington started to run after learning how to walk (excuse the cliche) now they are going to start burning people...beyond Dallas.

Brunell in my opinion is not washed up, I might have thought differently at the end of '04 but he proved himself capable of getting to the playoffs and winning a game. Many people in the media or otherwise that praised the Redskins FA aggresiveness have now turned on them thinking they made some sort of mistake. This was a team that allegedly in "cap Hell" and was going down the toilet. Now since all the experts were proven wrong they dispise the intellegence, hard work, an a small amount of luck the FA has brought.

Many of the veteran posters on ExtremeSkins would present a more accurate article and be far more articulate in the process.

However, the legendary coach may be in for a rude awakening. Since defensive players are much bigger than they were back in Gibbs' first era with the Redskins, they tend to bruise and injure the receivers more, which makes it important to have at least one large possession receiver as an option. Unfortunately for Gibbs and quarterback Mark Brunell, the Redskins didn't get a large receiver, and now the veteran will have to deal with a dwarfish foursome that could easily face injury problems.

So when Moss catches his 80 balls this year he is going to more likely to get hurt because the rest of his compadres are smallish but if we had signed, say Joe Jurevicius, he wouldn't get hurt on those same 80 catches?

I got it now. :doh:

The other major point Byrne seems to have missed is the injury problem. Gibbs went into last season with a squad of smallish receivers and Patten promptly got hurt. Thrash, Jacobs and Brown, unfortunately, failed to fill in to anyone's satisfaction. Not one to make the same mistake twice, Gibbs has added two new, highly capable WRs in this off-season.

So, Byrne knows enough about football to wonder if our little guys on the edge might not get banged up, but not so much that he makes the obvious connection: Gibbs has more than he needs in case one (or more) of them go down. It's not that hard to figure out, really.

It would be difficult to gauge injuries in any season. If that was the case no one that has ever been operated on would be signed. Considering the lack of offensive depth that was obvious last year, I question why many are already discounting what has yet to transpire....Santana took a few hits that were above average and he showed his perserverence. Things will get better, I won't predict SB but most should realise that.

C'mon.. I think you're wwaaaayyy too sensitive on this one. This is just really objective criticism.

If he had written an article that ripped the Cowboys for signing Terrell Owens because he is old and hasn't played a full season in 3 years I am certain you might find some issue with it especially if they had suggested he would be a great pickup for another team in an earlier article.

I did not find the article over the top like Lenny & King partially because he praised the Lloyd signing some signs of objectivity. The article overall was negative based on his opinion. The Snyder comment is just cliche for sports writers since 2000 when writing about the Redskins. It is an unwritten rule that you must put in a reference to overzealous ownership and spending without constraint when referring to the Skins or your article won't get published.

My only hope with the people who write these things is that they will include both sides of the argument. He can say what he wants about his opinions regarding Randle El, but I would hope that he would add that the Redskins sometimes find gems where others don't see them ... and refer to the Moss trade last year where he was only projected as a 3rd receiver on the depth chart in NY and was the 2nd most productive receiver in the entire NFL last year.

Archived