Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealFootball365:Redskins' recent WR acquisitions are questionable (MERGED & RETITLED)

usc35

What I don't get is how he starts off saying that we look really good, but WAIT... we overpaid. Hmmm, does it matter if we paid to much for him? If he improves the O at all, doesn't that mean we improved? Then he goes on to say that getting 2 WR was overkill, but the problem with them being small is they could get injured... better to have depth then no?

The fact of the matter is that ARE could be the difference in any number of games, not by putting up huge stats, but by providing back-breaking plays. The Colts' WRs put up huge numbers, did they win the superbowl? There is more to players than just the stats, and I'm glad our coaches know that.

Yea I dont get it either.

Even though we made the right imrpovements, because we paid too much, we dont actually improve? I see what the writer is saying, but it doesnt sound right.

Analyst/Journalist are always barking about players and their contracts. They are most times in these journalistic professions because they wish they could be the players. They critisize everything at the expense of ( in this guy's case) looking very stupid.

I'm glad they write because we need more bullitin board material. ;-)

Why is it no one realizes that contracts are written over a period of time for a reason. This gives the team time to analyze their decision, and determine if they are willing to keep the player for the life of the contract. Sure, they get a damn good signing bonus, but if they underplay their contract, their heads will be on the chopping block. Randal El will be utilized by Joe Gibbs in ways no one will fathom. At the end of the season everyone will be shaking their heads, and saying, we just didn't see that in the game plan.

The truth is press, this team now has a receiving core who can play toss and catch against any defense. So get used to it. With this teams defense, and running game, the opposing defenses are going to lose their minds trying to figure this team out. We'll see you at the superbowl.

This is getting ridiculous, another sportswriter saying Joe Gibbs trying to bring back the "fun bunch" overlooking the size of todays defensive backs.

This is probably the most stupid thing I have read to date. Size has nothing to do with injuries. If that was the case, Terrel Owens would have never broken his leg. Smaller, faster receivers can actually be an advantage when it comes to avoiding injuries, especially over the middle.

It seems writers are not going to quit slamming this team until they start the season, and put a winning team on the field. Dan Snyder is taking a lot of hits from these guys, and I can only speculate they are fans of other teams and jealous. Will this season ever start?

This is getting ridiculous, another sportswriter saying Joe Gibbs trying to bring back the "fun bunch" overlooking the size of todays defensive backs.

This is probably the most stupid thing I have read to date. Size has nothing to do with injuries. If that was the case, Terrel Owens would have never broken his leg. Smaller, faster receivers can actually be an advantage when it comes to avoiding injuries, especially over the middle.

It seems writers are not going to quit slamming this team until they start the season, and put a winning team on the field. Dan Snyder is taking a lot of hits from these guys, and I can only speculate they are fans of other teams and jealous. Will this season ever start?

Writers write about things they know about. Sportswriters seem to be the one exception the this rule.

What is this thread reffering to specifically? I'm a little confused here. Is this something you saw on TV or read in an article?

As for small receivers being injured more...well...cough, cough, David Boston, cough, cough. :D

I"ve noticed that the real fast recievers tend to get leg injuries more often. It's been the case in dallas anyway. Rocket Ismail, Joey Galloway, even Deion. Something about the real fast guys, always have leg injuries.

Not saying yours will, but it's something to keep any eye out for.

I"ve noticed that the real fast recievers tend to get leg injuries more often. It's been the case in dallas anyway. Rocket Ismail, Joey Galloway, even Deion. Something about the real fast guys, always have leg injuries.

I think it had more to do with those receivers playing on turf

Speedsters end up with hamstring injuries more than anything else. The nature of being a super fast sprinter (of which the three you mentioned are) is such that you need the hamstring muscles to be loose all the time in order to get the most length of stride and power in sprinting. When you end up sitting on the sidelines for 10 minutes at a time, hammies tighten up and leg injuries occur. (Same is said for baseball; no exertion for most of the time coupled with sporadic maximum exertion means injuries). This is why you see so many receivers and DBs now riding a bike on the sideline between series.

Look at sprinters in track and field. You'll see hamstring injuries significantly more often that most other things. Men in general tend to injure the hamsring muscle most often as our body type and weight distribution puts stress on the hamstring more than anything else. For women it is on the knees, which is why they are so much more naturally suceptible to ACL tears than we are.

The common theme of these four Redskins receivers is that all possess below average height, but fairly large contracts (sans Lloyd). It seems that Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is trying to bring back the days of the "Fun Bunch" from the 1980s and early '90s when he won three Super Bowls in Washington with smallish receivers. However, the legendary coach may be in for a rude awakening. Since defensive players are much bigger than they were back in Gibbs' first era with the Redskins, they tend to bruise and injure the receivers more, which makes it important to have at least one large possession receiver as an option. Unfortunately for Gibbs and quarterback Mark Brunell, the Redskins didn't get a large receiver, and now the veteran will have to deal with a dwarfish foursome that could easily face injury problems.

Undoubtedly, the Redskins and most of their fans believe in the new receiving corps, but don't be shocked if this project doesn't work out for the NFC contender. It seems like a classic case of Dan Snyder vastly overpaying for the wrong players. Only time will tell how this will turn out. However, if it doesn't work out, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Bet Conner wouldn't call these football players "dwarfish" if he was lined up across the line of scrimmage!

I like Coach Hixon's March 20 talk back answers to address these issues:

Q: There's not a lot of height in your receiving corps. Is that an issue?

A: "You know, that really doesn't bother me. Santana made the Pro Bowl at 5-9 last year. Steve Smith from Carolina was All-Pro at 5-9 last year. So height isn't that big of an issue."

Q: What about having more height in the red zone?

A: "In Kansas City, what they did last year [in the red zone] was they put [tight end] Tony Gonzalez out there. [Al Saunders, the Redskins' associate head coach-offense, guided the Chiefs offense last year.] So height doesn't bother me. You have all of these tall receivers in the league now, but the best two receivers last year were Smith and Moss. They played at the same height. In this league, it's all a matter of production on game day."

Q: Is it also that, with the way the bump-and-coverage rules have changed, it's easier for smaller receivers now?

A: "As you know, in this league, once the receiver is past five yards, the defender should be off of you. Once in a while they'll bump you and they'll call it, but sometimes they don't. We're strong enough to get downfield and make plays downfield. You don't have to be 6-2 to do that, you can be 5-10. If you have speed, just get the ball in the receivers hands and make the defenders miss. Height looks pretty when they're coming off the bus, but can they play?"

:cheers:

Some of you are comparing apples and oranges. Speedy receivers, and small receivers or a combination of both, doesn't mean they are any more likely going to receive an injury from an oposing defensive back. This is what the writer was emphasizing. He was stating todays defense is bigger and stronger, and can cause injuries. I say bull ****, all players are better and faster, its the training, and conditioning. Science. Sure, big hitters may cause an injury from time to time. To say that because a receiver is a few inches shorter, and a few pounds lighter is going to increase his chance of injury is just stupidity.

Some of you are comparing apples and oranges. Speedy receivers, and small receivers or a combination of both, doesn't mean they are any more likely going to receive an injury from an oposing defensive back. This is what the writer was emphasizing. He was stating todays defense is bigger and stronger, and can cause injuries. I say bull ****, all players are better and faster, its the training, and conditioning. Science. Sure, big hitters may cause an injury from time to time. To say that because a receiver is a few inches shorter, and a few pounds lighter is going to increase his chance of injury is just stupidity.
Bingo!!!!Instincts fellas

All the great small recievers...ala Smith in Carolina and Moss in Washington are very good at catching the ball and not taking the big hit. These guys always seem to be very elusive, they catch the ball get the first down and either get down or run out of bounds. There job as WR's is to catch the ball, finish the play getting as much yardage as possible without getting smoked. Huge LB's hitting smaller WRs could result in an injury, the object is to avoid those. There job is not to bull over LB's folks......Its Good Football Instincts fellas

Now the other small recievers ala Antonio Brown get smoked alot, remember the Dallas fumble? He got smoked during the kick return when he should have just made a fair catch. Bad football instincts get players into vulnerable situations which could result in an injury no matter what size you are.

I've been convinced for awhile that these folks are a joke. First Moss was a bad move, then they say he's our only weapon. Don't let them bother you. Once we win the SB in the next couple of years, they'll sing our praises. All most of them do is reflect popular opinion. So, don't get mad just DON'T FORGET!!! :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :point2sky

Some teams are paying 2-3 Mil a year for guys they know are game breaking returners AND are like 4-5 WR options. We're paying 1 person to do both jobs but as a starting WR. This leaves us one more spot on the roster to fill major needs.

If we paid Randle El $3mil and still had chad morton on the roster at $2mil nobobdy would be talking about overpaying. It's not overpaying until you see his production inthe upcoming season. A lot of people would say that we have Moss a a bargain.

What I am it getting tired of is hearing all of these critics AND FANS that say we spent crazy and doomed to fail by signing quiet solid producers yet Dallas signs a couple BIG name guys, both with varying degrees of characture issues yet everyone signs their praises. :doh: Goes to show you the public will fall right in line with anything the mediots say. People are just sheeple.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and like it or not...i consider his arguments to be pretty sound. i hope it won't turn out that way, though.

I cant dissagree with you more. He claims that small recievers are not good anymore as defensive players are now bigger, but look at Deion Branch. The Pats won three super bowls with him...and he is just 5-9. Plus, if i remember correctly, the three recievers in the "Greatest Show on Turf" were all about 5-11, and they were an amazing combination of recievers (and they all got plenty of receptions). His arguments have no backing...small recievers are the way of the future.

Archived