Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOXSports.Com: The good, The bad, and The Ugly of Free Agency

GiantsFanMan

After TO scores the TD would you rather see him.  

197 members have voted

1. 1. After TO scores the TD would you rather see him.

• Jog quietly back to his bench.
    • Do one of his super cool dances.
    • Stand on our 50 yd. line.
    • Stand on our 50 yd. line only to have ST come and knock him out.
    • Ridicule this thread / poll

Good, bad and ugly of free agency

Adam Schein / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 12 hours ago

Click link for rest of article

Now that a full week has passed in the NFL's business season, it is time to break down the good, bad, and 49ers in the start of free agency.

10 worst moves

[...]

Terrell Owens to Dallas — So let me get this straight ... Dallas gives Owens a 3 year, $25 million deal with a $5 million bonus. Did anyone survey Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, Andy Reid, Brad Childress, Ozzie Newsome, or anybody else Owens drove batty? How in the world could Jerry Jones not remember TO blowing up the Eagles season a year ago? And to give him this type of money without any provisions if he acts just like he did with the 49ers and Eagles is beyond foolish. How can TO get along with Drew Bledsoe, he of the thin-skin and the ill-timed pick, when he couldn't deal with the affable Donovan McNabb? And I wonder what Bill Parcells thinks of TO wanting to be a reality TV star? This is going to be a disaster. Just like it was in San Francisco. And Philadelphia.

[...]

Brandon Lloyd to Washington — Being fair, when I talked to Lloyd he said all the right things about playing for the Redskins and being enamored with Joe Gibbs. But after smartly signing Antwaan Randle El to team with Santana Moss and Chris Cooley, I just didn't understand why the Redskins needed another down the field threat. To get the restricted free agent, the Redskins had to give up a 3rd-round pick this season and next year's 4th round pick. Remember, Washington doesn't have its first round pick this year after trading for Jason Campbell. Lloyd has the ability to make the incredible catch, but with the Niners he dropped too many balls in his hands and seemed to be a bit too interested in his rap career.

[...]

Six underrated moves

[...]

Will Demps to N.Y. Giants — Regarded as one of the smartest and hardest-working players in the NFL, Demps is a perfect fit playing for Tom Coughlin. The safety is healthy after a partially torn ACL kept him out of the final month of the season for the Ravens. Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi smartly gave his new starting safety a five-year deal worth $12 million and a $3 million signing bonus.

Darren Howard to Philadelphia — Eagles owner Jeff Lurie raised some eyebrows when he said, "I can't think of a player we've tried to get harder over the past several years." Now while that might just be hyperbole, Jim Johnson's defense is getting a bookend rusher to Jevon Kerse. And while Howard, like so many Saints, underachieved last season with the chaos surrounding the team, the defensive end does have two seasons where he has sacked the quarterback 11 times. Look for a rebirth in Philadelphia.

Akin Ayodele to Dallas — The former Cowboys ball boy goes home to play outside linebacker for Bill Parcells in the 3-4 defense. I think Dallas got a major bargain and a player who will thrive in this next chapter of his career.

Ryan Clark to Pittsburgh — Clark told me he was looking to start, play for a winner, and continue to play for an aggressive defensive coordinator after drinking the Gregg Williams' Kool-Aid in Washington. The savvy and hard hitting safety hit the jackpot on all wishes, giving the Steelers a suitable replacement for Chris Hope.

[...]

Adam Schein hosts the Afternoon Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio from 3-7 Eastern Time. You can also hear him Saturday mornings on WFAN in New York. E-mail him at adamschein@foxsports.com.

Edited to comply with forum rules ~ihs

Really glad you could find an atricle that gives props to the Eagles and Giants and trashes the Redskins.

Thanks for posting...now back to the sandbox with you.

He didn't trash the Skins, he even gave us props for signing Antwaan Randle El. He just didn't understand what the coaching staff saw in Llloyd.

Really glad you could find an atricle that gives props to the Eagles and Giants and trashes the Redskins.

Thanks for posting...now back to the sandbox with you.

:laugh: You know why I laugh, because you critize someone for posting an article that gives props to the Giants and Eagles and trashes the Skins, yet, all you do is post articles that trash the Eagles........ :doh:

He didn't trash the Skins, he even gave us props for signing Antwaan Randle El. He just didn't understand what the coaching staff saw in Llloyd.

I agree....wasn't that negative.

In Lloyd's defense...he was playing for San Francisco. Not really a lot to be interested in or much reason to give your all. And he still had some pretty nice stats for being in the worst offense ever (has there been a worse offense?) with some pretty bad players around him.

I would have liked the Skins more if they waited and signed Keyshawn, once he got cut. The problem I see is you don't have a possession type receiver who can keep the chains moving. You are boom or bust on offense. That is fine for September when the sun is shining but what about the rough NFC East games in December, in the snow, when you have a finesse offense.

I agree. It didn't seem that negative.

However, as far as his comments on Lloyd go, well, a lot of folks wondered last off-season why we traded Coles away for Moss.

They wonder no more. :)

I would have liked the Skins more if they waited and signed Keyshawn, once he got cut. The problem I see is you don't have a possession type receiver who can keep the chains moving. You are boom or bust on offense. That is fine for September when the sun is shining but what about the rough NFC East games in December, in the snow, when you have a finesse offense.

I disagree...I think Lloyd is the perfect possesion receiver. And lest you forget, Cooley did his fair-share of catching first downs last season, and was very clutch in third and long situations.

And I don't think we're going to be a "finesse" offense...KC was always a grind it out kind of team, always near the top of the league in rushing offense. Skins are the same way...can't really call that finesse, imho.

:laugh: You know why I laugh, because you critize someone for posting an article that gives props to the Giants and Eagles and trashes the Skins, yet, all you do is post articles that trash the Eagles........ :doh:

Thanks for posting, Number4.

The Redskins would never sign Keyshawn while Gibbs is here. He's too big a head case.

The Redskins will do fine with the guys they have. It'll be Smurfs II. Be afraid.

Our Playoff Death March was in December weather.

Of the three cold weather games(first two were dome in St.Louis and in the Arizona desert)we scored 35, 35, and 24 points.

Weather is SO OVERRATED. Unless it's -43028 degreeswith 2380248 feet of snow falling, it matters very little on the offense how warm or cold it is.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5427756

But after smartly signing Antwaan Randle El to team with Santana Moss and Chris Cooley, I just didn't understand why the Redskins needed another down the field threat. Lloyd has the ability to make the incredible catch, but with the Niners he dropped too many balls in his hands and seemed to be a bit too interested in his rap career.

How in the world could Jerry Jones not remember TO blowing up the Eagles season a year ago? And to give him this type of money without any provisions if he acts just like he did with the 49ers and Eagles is beyond foolish. How can TO get along with Drew Bledsoe, he of the thin-skin and the ill-timed pick, when he couldn't deal with the affable Donovan McNabb? And I wonder what Bill Parcells thinks of TO wanting to be a reality TV star? This is going to be a disaster.

Archived