Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JC '07, not matter what???

Renegade7

I had an interesting nightmare today. I thought about what if Brunell had an off the wall season next year, say probowl year. Worse, what if Gibbs got hooked on Brunell again like he did at the beginning of the '04 season? I thought about based on what I've seen and heard about Gibbs, that until he felt he could get all he could get out of Brunell, Brunell was gonna start.

Now I know that's kinda looney knowing we already have a first round draft pick in Jason Campbell on the roster. But is it really outlandish? Does Brunell have to reach his late thirties, early 40's before Gibbs goes ahead and pulls him? What I'm worried about is that we'll wait until we start losing games before Gibbs decides to pull Brunell out again. And I'm not about losing games. Hell no.

My dad doesn't believe I'm crazy, and honestly believes Gibbs will wait until Brunell is cooked goose before he benches him again. My question to ya'll is, do you really want to wait that long? Do we really want to wait until Brunell is officially done before we put Campbell in? I mean, whatever happened to Brunell, he's back. It wouldn't shock me none to see him able to play for another two, three years.

My opinion? Campbell should start in 2007 no matter what. At least even if he isn't ready, God forbid, he'll at least get some playing experience and maybe get better. I mean, we will never really know how good Campbell is until he takes the field. That's the truth...

okay. let's really make this interesting. Brunell and the Redskins win the Super Bowl in 2006 and Gibbs refuses to replace the MVP Brunell with Jason Campbell for 2007 and Mark plays here until he is 38 and then retires having taken the Skins to the playoffs three straight seasons..............did Gibbs make a mistake in not putting Campbell on the field in 2006? :D

okay. let's really make this interesting. Brunell and the Redskins win the Super Bowl in 2006 and Gibbs refuses to replace the MVP Brunell with Jason Campbell for 2007 and Mark plays here until he is 38 and then retires having taken the Skins to the playoffs three straight seasons..............did Gibbs make a mistake in not putting Campbell on the field in 2006? :D

That's gut-wrenching, my dude. :puke:

Point Dog........

as long as we win im good. But whats with the reports JC isnt ready. Was Rothesbeger ready?..... Didnt know til he took the field.....

We wont know about JC until he plays....

If we win the Super Bowl, I don't care who's the starter.

I agree with Renegade 7 though, the nightmare would be a repeat of this season. Brunell is effective, even very good at times but fades down the stretch but we still make the playoffs. Then get bounced out.

Will we have to stomach another offseason of listening to how Brunell "led us" to the playoffs and JC sits for yet another year?

With that said, I don't think you can say JC in 2007 no matter what. JC is going to have to take this job, I don't think it should just be given to him.

I'm hoping for a true open competition (not the farse we saw in 04 between Brunell and Ramsey) and that JC earns the job this season.

If we win the Super Bowl, I don't care who's the starter.

I agree with Renegade 7 though, the nightmare would be a repeat of this season. Brunell is effective, even very good at times but fades down the stretch but we still make the playoffs. Then get bounced out.

Will we have to stomach another offseason of listening to how Brunell "led us" to the playoffs and JC sits for yet another year?

With that said, I don't think you can say JC in 2007 no matter what. JC is going to have to take this job, I don't think it should just be given to him.

I'm hoping for a true open competition (not the farse we saw in 04 between Brunell and Ramsey) and that JC earns the job this season.

Yeah, I am with you on this. All I want is open competition for the starting job. If Campbell can beat out Brunell, I would be very excited about this upcoming year. If not, I think Brunell will do fine as long as he does not get injured. But I would not worry. I think with Saunders here, that is exactly what we will get.

I'm sad somebody else raised this question because this is the kind of stuff I think about all the time.

I think Bulldog named a nice scenario eariler, where Brunell plays for a little while and then retires a Skin and all is well. No Harm no foul.

I wonder if we could do Brunell the way that Cincy did Kitna and just say, ok you're the backup now. Especially if we're a good team when we do it. It'd be Gibbs talking so Brunell would have to comply or get cut, so I doubt it would be a problem, but then again he may prefer to get cut rather than be a backup.

I think that Brunell is the perfect Mentor for Cambell and so I hope he steps down gracefully when the time comes.

Brunell's cap number for 2007 (close to $7 million) is way to high for him to be on the team and not starting. I suspect that this is the last year for him unless he is absolutely amazing (MVP-type year). If we're not a Super Bowl team and the staff feels that Campbell is ready, he'll take over by 2007.

That said, as long as he's winning he remains the starter, and he should. Elway was 38 when he won his second SB. I'm not saying Brunell is Elway or even close. I'm just saying that QBs can play late into their 30's and play effectively.

If Brunell takes us to the Super Bowl, I don't care how many splinters JC gets in his azz!

Seriously, I can't wait to see what Campbell can do. If Joe Gibbs (remember 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs?) thinks this kid is worth trading up for in the draft, then I think he may be something special. Gibbs may have screwed up a couple draft picks (Desmond Howard?), but he tends to get his QBs right.

I think BRUNELL is still a good quarterback and should start this year, but I think we are doomed to the fact that gibbs will stick with brunell until BRUNELL proves he cant do it any more. Proof of inablity = Losses.. see 1989 Doug Williams and Mark Rypien for an illustration of what i am getting at here..

Let me start by saying that I am not a Brunell fan at all, and I want to see Campbell as soon as possible. That being said, I need to give Brunell some props for his role in the offense. Sure, he is not going to make great plays all the time and win us games every week, but that is not his role. We won last year with our defense, and Brunell was there to make sure the offense did not make mistakes... hence his 10 interceptions. Yes, Brunell throws away a lot of passes, but if Campbell were in the game, how many of the passes that Brunell throws away would Campbell throw for interceptions that could change the game? As long as Brunell continues to make smart decisions throwing the ball, our defense will keep us in the game, and we have the weapons on offense now to force the ball downfield if we get behind. We do not need Campbell next year. We need Brunell to play within his limits, and have a season like last year with a minimal amount of mistakes... and he needs to learn to not fumble. My concern with Campbell is that in the playoffs against a good defense, he will try to force passes that will lead to costly turnovers. Although Brunell may be painful to watch at times, he is not going to make the mistakes that will cost us close important games. If he can do that this year and win, I have no problem with him starting '07 inless we would help our cap a lot by releasing him.

We will see this pre season who will be where. Gibbs will start the qb that deserves to start. He will not let Brunell start no matter what guys. Saunders will have some weigh in on this as well. So relax, let's enjoy the try outs, and see who has what it takes to be a champion this year.

Archived