Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs says No Kicker or Punter needed

skinfan2k

I feel Gibbs has always looked upon the kicking game as a necessary evil. He knows you must have them, but he is willing to take chances on kickers who's past has say shown a little speculation. Our kickers have always seem to been good at one time in their careers, but injuries, age, or some other factor has kept them from being at the top of their game in DC.

I can understand his feeling that we are OK, but we are not. Hall will continue to struggle with his injuries as he has in the past several years, which will be costly in close games. This is the part I don't understand about Gibbs opinions on kickers. He keeps proclaiming the games are getting more competitive and closer in scores, but feels his kicking game is ok.

I fell our kicking game cost us at least 2 games last season. Either poor kickoffs, or missed field goals, or poor punts. You name it, we had them. If we do not improve this year, I feel the same will happen. So Mr. Gibbs, I certainly hope you are correct, and we are fine in the kicking game.

Well, Tyler Jones is on the roster, and there may be others as camp comes around.

Also, you don't know if the short kickoffs will continue. Who knows? Hall may be healthy enough.

As for Frost, he's still a young guy, and I bet anyone who got drafted will be about as inconsistant. They apparently see enough in him that they think he can do the job.

Jason

Jones is playing in NFLE for the Hamburg Seadevils. Yesterday 4/30

With 2-3 minutes left in the game & Hamburg with a 17-15 lead,

Jones missed a 37 yd FG that would've have forced Amsterdam

to score a TD to win.

The Seadevils lost 18-17 Amsterdam kicked a 30 yd FG with 16 sec left

to win. The Seadevils are 0-6-1.

Jones' kickoffs are short too falling on the average at the 10-20 yd line.

I've seen him miss a few FG's That could've won a game. Most of the

Seadevils' games have been close ones,Like a few games the Skins had

Last season

Redskins have signed David Lonie, but one of his weaknesses is he's not good on kickoffs. At least, they understand Frost needs some competition.

David Lonie, P, California

Lonie is a 6-6, 220-pound punter who hails from Australia. He turns 27 years old on May 6. In 1996, Lonie competed in the Pan Pacific Games as a decathlete and pole vaulter, representing Australia. Last season for the Golden Bears, Lonie logged 61 punts for a 41.9-yard average.

I can see why the Redskins didn't take Plackemeir. Larry Michael hadn't even heard of him?!? :rubeyes:He thought "Plackemeier" was a misspelling for "placekicker." He also said that no one drafts a punter. I guess he missed Seattle's pick in the 6th round. :doh:

My question on the audio webcast:

Larry, why didn't the Redskins take Plackemeier in the 6th round? Gibbs seems to be sending contradictory signals -- stating he is fine with Hall and Frost but concerned with kickoffs (e.g., Hall's kickoffs always seemed to land on the 10 yard line) and poor field position (e.g., Frost had one of the worst punting averages in the league). Why not take the best available punter in the draft, someone that can punt with accuracy and has the leg strength for kickoffs?

we should at least bring in a punter to see what anyone else can do, if he think Hall is healthy, then we'll see, but Frost needs some competition

Yeah, I hope Larry doesn't represent the FO's perspective on our punting situation. He didn't know what the **** he was talking about. He said no team has ever drafted a punter. The female sidekick reporter had to correct him and say that her dad, a punter, was drafted.

He also didn't believe Hall's short kickoffs pose a problem. He just stated something like, "Well, Hall is healthy now."

More concerned with Hall than Frost. Frost actually hit the ball good every time we needed him to in the final 6 games. I expect he will be better this year and that will be fine. I am not at all comfortable with Hall, inless he can prove hi muscles are not chronically injured in his leg.

Jones is playing in NFLE for the Hamburg Seadevils. Yesterday 4/30

With 2-3 minutes left in the game & Hamburg with a 17-15 lead,

Jones missed a 37 yd FG that would've have forced Amsterdam

to score a TD to win.

The Seadevils lost 18-17 Amsterdam kicked a 30 yd FG with 16 sec left

to win. The Seadevils are 0-6-1.

Jones' kickoffs are short too falling on the average at the 10-20 yd line.

I've seen him miss a few FG's That could've won a game. Most of the

Seadevils' games have been close ones,Like a few games the Skins had

Last season

Which is why the decision to change kickers shouldn't be taken lightly.

When healthy, Hall is pretty darn reliable, especially last season. The only question is his health, and I'm sure the staff is going to work on ways to keep him healthy.

Jason

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9509

David Lonie

PT | (6'5", 218, 4.7) | CALIFORNIA

Scouts Grade: 30

Strengths: Possesses excellent leg strength, can kick team out of trouble when pinned deep and can connect on long-range field goal attempts. Is accurate, puts adequate touch on punts and can pin opponents deep when given the opportunity. Gets excellent distance on kickoffs, is a powerful place kicker that is fairly accurate and is versatile. Played soccer in high school so doesn't have a lot of football experience and should only get better.

Weaknesses: Out kicks the coverage at times and needs to put better hang time on punts. While didn't have a kick blocked at the collegiate level, approach is too long and is vulnerable to getting punts blocked at the NFL level.

Overall: Lonie is an Australian native that enrolled at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa in 2002. He averaged 40.1 yards per punt and connected on eight of his 12 field goal attempts that year. In 2003, Lonie averaged 41.8 yards per punt and connected on 11of his 19 field goal attempts. While he missed four PAT's, all four can be attributed to poor snaps. Lonie transferred to California in 2004. In his first season with the Bears, he averaged 40 yards per punt and he placed 22 of his 47 punts inside the opponent's 20-yardline. In 2005, Lonie averaged 42 yards per punt and he placed 21 of his 61 punts inside the opponent's 20-yardline. He also averaged 61.8 yards per kickoff and recorded 27 touchbacks when kicking off. Lonie possesses a good blend of size, power and versatility but he is a developmental prospect needs to work on his approach and improving his hang time. He projects as a rookie free agent.

Lonie apparently has excellent leg strength and can kickoff. Scout's Inc. gives him a decent writeup.

More concerned with Hall than Frost. Frost actually hit the ball good every time we needed him to in the final 6 games. I expect he will be better this year and that will be fine. I am not at all comfortable with Hall, inless he can prove hi muscles are not chronically injured in his leg.

You're kidding right? Frost was the beneficiary of more fortuitous bounces and rolls than any punter in recent memory. You have also forgotten about the 14 yarder he shanked with a minute to go in the TB playoff game. That is when we needed him to boom one the most. Hall when healthy (big if admittedly) is at least a good kicker. Frost makes up for his lack of distance with his lack of fair catches.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9509

David Lonie

PT | (6'5", 218, 4.7) | CALIFORNIA

Scouts Grade: 30

Strengths: Possesses excellent leg strength, can kick team out of trouble when pinned deep and can connect on long-range field goal attempts. Is accurate, puts adequate touch on punts and can pin opponents deep when given the opportunity. Gets excellent distance on kickoffs, is a powerful place kicker that is fairly accurate and is versatile. Played soccer in high school so doesn't have a lot of football experience and should only get better.

Weaknesses: Out kicks the coverage at times and needs to put better hang time on punts. While didn't have a kick blocked at the collegiate level, approach is too long and is vulnerable to getting punts blocked at the NFL level.

Overall: Lonie is an Australian native that enrolled at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa in 2002. He averaged 40.1 yards per punt and connected on eight of his 12 field goal attempts that year. In 2003, Lonie averaged 41.8 yards per punt and connected on 11of his 19 field goal attempts. While he missed four PAT's, all four can be attributed to poor snaps. Lonie transferred to California in 2004. In his first season with the Bears, he averaged 40 yards per punt and he placed 22 of his 47 punts inside the opponent's 20-yardline. In 2005, Lonie averaged 42 yards per punt and he placed 21 of his 61 punts inside the opponent's 20-yardline. He also averaged 61.8 yards per kickoff and recorded 27 touchbacks when kicking off. Lonie possesses a good blend of size, power and versatility but he is a developmental prospect needs to work on his approach and improving his hang time. He projects as a rookie free agent.

Lonie apparently has excellent leg strength and can kickoff. Scout's Inc. gives him a decent writeup.

This kid, if he doesn't bomb totally, will be around for awhile...I don't think the instability of our current punting situation. Lonie has a great personal story as well.

I knew he could punt, but I didn't see anywhere where he could kickoff and this is something we needed. I guess our FO had him > or = to the punter from WF.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but his average of 61 yards per kickoff puts the ball on the 9 yard line in the pros. That's about what we are doing now with an injured quad.

Vanderjagt is 14/21 from 50+ in his career and he's the "most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL"...

You're only 24 so you probably don't remember 1982

Moseley went 20/21, set the record for consecutive FG's made

& was named League MVP. Vanderjagt may have better carreer stats

but until he's named League MVP,He can't top Moseley & Moseley did

it straight on.

Archived