Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs says No Kicker or Punter needed

skinfan2k

Gibbs said the team is not in the market for a kicker or punter, with veteran kicker John Hall recovered from another injury-plagued season and young punter Derrick Frost showing enough promise to remain in Washington. Gibbs said Frost may handle kickoff duties to relieve the strain on Hall's leg. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031601802.html

Are you serious? I thikn JOhn Hall is a great kicker when healthy and maybe we need to allow Frost to do kickoffs. Later in the season, Frost was improving his punts but i wish we are able to pick a veteran punter who can down it inside the 20, ala tom tupa, jason baker.

I think John Hall when healthy is a reliable and above average kicker but I'm a little sketched out about the Frost kid. He was pretty inconsistent last year and he had trouble kicking us out of bad field position. I'm not convinced that he's the answer at punter but the coaches must think otherwise.

Can John Hall kick a 50 yarder, with the game on the line? Yes or No?

He has clearly lost his range, which is my concern. Maybe he can have a punter do his kickoff duties for him, and I am the first person who loves consistancy and continuity, but John has got to get his game back. :2cents:

As always I trust Coach Gibbs' judgement. So I'll say:

Good Luck John, I hope you return to the form we know you can be.

Not when he was injured last year, no. I have to assume that Gibbs and Co have evaluated and re-evaluated Hall's health and feel that he has or will make a full recovery. If he reinjures something or gets another injury next year, there will be a lot of second-guessing, but all of it uneccessarily so. Players get injured, and get reinjured. Gibbs can't make a decision based on what might happen. He has to look at how Hall's health is now, and how is he going to play at the start of the season. If Gibbs thinks he's healthy enough, go with it.

If a change needed to be made, I have a feeling Danny would spend the money...

This is a horrible decision... I think we need to replace both. Hall was short on a 50-yarder against SD, kicked off to the 15 every kick-off, and grimmaced (sp?) every time his foot touched a ball......... Frost cost us field position in every game with 30-yard punts.... and remember the 11-yarder against TB in the playoffs???? ughh, I can't believe Gibbs and Danny Smith don't see what we all see.....

He has clearly lost his range, which is my concern. Maybe he can have a punter do his kickoff duties for him, and I am the first person who loves consistancy and continuity, but John has got to get his game back. :2cents:

As always I trust Coach Gibbs' judgement. So I'll say:

Good Luck John, I hope you return to the form we know you can be.

He had clearly lost his range last year but that doesn't mean it's gone for good. Maybe he just wasn't 100% yet, ever think of that?

Well, Hall is supposed to stay at the park this year and work out. The staff thinks that he's doing something wrong on his own (like maybe overworking). I would regularly scream about Frost but vs TB he made some nice punts under pressure. Only had one bad ball vs Seahawks. He's young, big and cheap. I think he has a lot of potential. Plus, did you see him come outta no where to make that TD saving tackle vs TB? That was one of the best plays from a Punter I've ever seen.

Hopefully Gibbs sees something we don't with Frost, but he was wrong about him last year. Hopefully Frost will do better than he has in the past. He has show good placement skills, but not quite enough strength or consistency so far.

As for Hall, who knows? I would have a good backup on call.

bad call- Hall is accurate but only good up to 45 (and even 45 yarder is a stretch for him)- i guess if its cheaper to keep these two guys for cap reasons, then no biggie. I just hate seeing us punt from the other team's 30. and I am tired of seeinkick offs be caught on the 15. embarrassing

Omgjoegibbswillcostusnextseasonwithallthesestupiddecisionshe'smakingomgomgomgomgomg!!!!!!!11

:doh:

Well it's really Danny Smith's fault, but if Gibbs has a bit too much trust in him and some of these guys...then it could be true. Gibbs's good decisions outweigh his bad by a darn good margin, but it only takes one or two bad ones to sink a team sometimes. This probably won't, but you never know.

Well, the question is, is Hall's injury problems past him? Gibbs seems to think so.

As for his reliability, you really need to look at his stats last year. He made 85% of his kicks, with the misses being long.

I really do think that the ability for kicking long field goals is less important than being consistant inside the 40. Hall made all of his kicks inside the 40.

As for Frost, I can't say I'm overly confident in him, and don't really understand why we have him instead of Groom last year.

Jason

Remember also, Gibbs never speaks badly about guys on his roster. If he was asked directly about them, I doubt he would bad mouth them or say they were really the weak leg on the team (pun intended). He would support them, as he did Robert Royal after his 4 drop game or Rock after his fumble.

Quick:

1) who was the Skins punter on the Super Bowl XXVI champion Redskins?

2) who was the place kicker on the Super Bowl XXII champion Redskins?

Just sayin'.

:laugh: Dang, Om. Pulling out "the shank" on us. (Ali-Hadji Shiek ):laugh:

Archived