Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From a Steeler Fan

anjang86

Not really adding anything new about Clark, just reiterating. Hard worker, smart, good character player that rarely seemed to make a mistake or be caught out of position, but didn't seem to make a lot of big plays either.

You guys got solid player at a good price. The Skins had an offer on the table to keep Clark here, but he chose the Pitt offer. I don't know what that offer was, but probably for not as much money, and he obviously would not be a starter here, tho Williams does use multiple safeties in certain packages.

I would have liked to see him return.

I liked Clark, played hard as everyone said, time will only tell how he does in your D.

I do not think I have seen ONE fan posting saying anything GOOD about ANY of the guys we have gotten. Anytime I see, "Here is a view from a Niners fan." or "About Randle El From the Pitts Fan." I think, well, here is yet another negative post. Always prove to be right.

Maybe it's just me, but when I read a review on anything I like to hear the negatives more than the positives...

Maybe it's just me, but when I read a review on anything I like to hear the negatives more than the positives...
the Steelers keep quiet during FA and always find sleepers and I'm hoping Clark is one of them. What are your thoughts? I'll be happy to answer any further questions if you guys have any.

Sounds like you wanted to hear something posative from us about clark? My point was, once someone comes to our team, everyone says something bad about them. Never has one thread been to say something nice about them. It just tells me that once that guy leaves their respective team and comes here, the fans want to come here and bash, or say negative things, about that player. Why else come here and tell us these things? It really makes no sense, because we have no problem praising, say, Clark, after he left. :2cents:

Randle El essentially has what is reported to be a 4-year, $14 million deal. People need to QUIT getting hung up on the bonus structure. In our structure this is the WORST case scenario with Randle El where the fourth year is a dead money year. If he works out, the deal pays for itself. If he fails, that's the worst case. We just maximize guarantees and minimize base salaries where other teams can't match us.

I agree . . . the problem is that the media does not understand the ins and outs of the salary cap, and you have idiots like Lenny P. taking stances on things he doesn't understand.

And don't get me started on Peter King . . .

anjang86,

I love Ryan Clark. I think he will be a fine fit in your defense. As many have said, he plays with incredible heart and ferocity, and will lead by example and work his ass off to make the Steelers a better team. He is a bright, eloquent young man and, apparently, an excellent locker room presence. The guy is built like a Pinto but hits like a Cummins Diesel. He is a smart football player and will almost always be in good position. He is a strong and fundamental tackler, particularly for his size. I believe he will, therefore, be a good fit in your Steelers defense.

His shortfall is, as people have mentioned, his cover skills. He was exposed at times. He is not a Pro Bowl-caliber player, but he is certainly capable of being an above-average performer. However, I think his hustle and tackling will make you all happy with the signing. I have nothing but the best wishes for Ryan Clark, and will certainly miss him as a Redskin. Like Stephen Davis or Fred Smoot, he's an example of an ex-Redskin who I truly wish would make the Pro Bowl with another team.

I agree I think for a #3 Receiver we overpaid....how much? Well that will be determined.

As for Clark...I thoroughly enjoyed him. He came from nowhere and blossomed into a steady starter. He was a very solid all around safety. He could cover and hit. He meshed very well in GW's system. I think he would have been GREAT to keep here for depth and experience in GW's system. Im personally sad to see him go but glad he didnt end up with a divisional rival.

I think the Steelers can hide the shortcomings though of Ryan Clark .. Like many said he's covering skills leaves a little to be desired. Steelers was pretty good in covering up Lee Flowers and Chris Hope shortcomings for the most part.

Sounds like you wanted to hear something posative from us about clark? My point was, once someone comes to our team, everyone says something bad about them. Never has one thread been to say something nice about them. It just tells me that once that guy leaves their respective team and comes here, the fans want to come here and bash, or say negative things, about that player. Why else come here and tell us these things? It really makes no sense, because we have no problem praising, say, Clark, after he left. :2cents:

Couldn't agree with you more. Every post I have seen that starts out with "[insert NFL team]'s fan view of [such and such] player going to skins" is always chock full of negativity with maybe one or two positive rebuttals that really are only said to support the negativity lol. (ie. I know santana moss is small but he makes up for it with blah blah, yet Randel El is hammered for being about the same size.)

Not to get on the original poster too much but I think as skins fans we're tired of other fans constantly throwing out unwarranted critics against players that if these players were still with their former teams none of these negative comments would be talked about.

First, on Randle El, he averages over 10 yards per punt return. Thats phenominal, so its hard to say hes not a good punt returner.

Second, on Clark. Dont listen to what some of the guys on this board tell you, they bash any Redskins who leaves the team. His cons are he is a smaller guy, and lacks a little in the athleticism department. However, he more than makes up for that. He works very hard(gets along great with teamates), does a good job, and hits like someone a lot bigger. The best indicator of how much the fans liked him though was the fact that, during the talk of AA possibly being signed, half the fans on this board wanted to see Clark resigned to start, over AA.

You have to understand, when you read the analysis on this board about clark, you are going to see a lot of jabs at him, that frankly, arent neccesarily true. Its what some Redskins fans do when someone leaves the team. Hes young, Clark will only improve. Id imagine he will do very well in that Pittsburg defense.

First, on Randle El, he averages over 10 yards per punt return. Thats phenominal, so its hard to say hes not a good punt returner.

Second, on Clark. Dont listen to what some of the guys on this board tell you, they bash any Redskins who leaves the team. His cons are he is a smaller guy, and lacks a little in the athleticism department. However, he more than makes up for that. He works very hard(gets along great with teamates), does a good job, and hits like someone a lot bigger. The best indicator of how much the fans liked him though was the fact that, during the talk of AA possibly being signed, half the fans on this board wanted to see Clark resigned to start, over AA.

You have to understand, when you read the analysis on this board about clark, you are going to see a lot of jabs at him, that frankly, arent neccesarily true. Its what some Redskins fans do when someone leaves the team. Hes young, Clark will only improve. Id imagine he will do very well in that Pittsburg defense.

Not sure what you are talking about here, I would estimate about 90% of everything I have read about clark are people saying he is good, would like to have kept him, only downside not the greatest at covering.

Not to get on the original poster too much but I think as skins fans we're tired of other fans constantly throwing out unwarranted critics against players that if these players were still with their former teams none of these negative comments would be talked about.

:applause::cheers:

First, on Randle El, he averages over 10 yards per punt return. Thats phenominal, so its hard to say hes not a good punt returner...

Lol, i was thinking the same thing. I'll take Randel El running sideways for a mile for 10 yards each and every time. I don't think we ever had a guy average 10 yards a punt return for the skins sans Brian Mitchell!

I respect that defense you run there, but I can't agree with you.

Both defenses are complicated, we'll just have to leave it at that. I was really hoping that we would play you guys in the Super Bowl so we could actually see a better matchup than what was shown.

Let me say I wanted the Steelers to beat Seattle, on the otherhandI want to say Seattle got screwed and Pittsburg was lucky to walk away with the Lombardi.

With that being said Ryan Clark is plays with alot of fire, and made some huge plays for us last year. He is young he is healthy and will make a good back up until The Steelers figure out a way to make him work in the system.

First off, yes... I think that you guys did indeed overpay for Randle El.

But he is one of the best slot recievers in the game. I don't know what Gibbs's plans are but I really hope its something to the effect of Moss & Lloyd #1 and Randle El #3.

There are many positives about Randle El that you guys have probably formulated for yourselves but here are some of the things that bother me about him:

1. Punt Returning - he's not as great as people make him out to be... be ready for him to run side-to-side for about a mile while only netting 10 yards or so.

2. Dropped Balls - he'll drop balls, simple

3. Height - height... he's short. I know Santana Moss isn't that tall but he makes up for it with his route running and speed... Randle El isn't polished enough to do this. Speaking of which...

4. Randle El isn't a polished reciever yet... which is why the Steelers were in no hurry to resign him.

FWIW: I think the Lloyd signing is 10X better than the Randle El one.

Now that I've told you all there is to know from a Steeler fan's perspective, I would like to see what you guys have to say about Ryan Clark. I know he only started for a year and that he was a FS, but he's about to become our starting FS next year and I'd like to hear some analysis from Redskins' fans if possible. Unlike the Redskins (and I'm not knocking the Redskins' methods), the Steelers keep quiet during FA and always find sleepers and I'm hoping Clark is one of them. What are your thoughts? I'll be happy to answer any further questions if you guys have any.

Saying we overpaid for Randle El is like saying Pamela Andersons breasts are fake. We overpay for everyone we ever sign. That's just the way Dan Snyder works.

Clark was a good Redskin. I'm sorry to see him go. That said, he's nothing spectacular. Polamalu is spectacular.

Hopefully we'll get to see Clark match up against Randle El in the Super Bowl !!!!!

Ryan Clark and Cedrick Wilson or Adam Archuleta and Antwaan Randle El

& Brandon Lloyd??

HAHAHAHAHAHA, cowher will be fired in two years. He wont be fired but enjoy the "one for you thumb" you guys wont make it back for a looooooong time.:laugh:

I don't think you can blame cowher for not acquiring Adam, Antwaan and company. I give steelers a lot or respect and I admire what they do on offense lately. They are one of the few teams that I don't out right hate (outside of my strong devotion for the skins of course!) :logo:

I don't think you can blame cowher for not acquiring Adam, Antwaan and company. I give steelers a lot or respect and I've admired what they do on offense lately. They are one of the few teams that I don't out right hate (outside of my strong devotion for the skins of course!) :logo:

You're right I dont hate them about 90% of the time. They are a classy organization. They do things the right way. One of my good friends is a huge steelers fan and lets just say we havent been getting along very well since the start of Free agency:steelersu

I don't think you can blame cowher for not acquiring Adam, Antwaan and company. I give steelers a lot or respect and I admire what they do on offense lately. They are one of the few teams that I don't out right hate (outside of my strong devotion for the skins of course!) :logo:

Outside of the skins, they are really the only other team I like. If for some reason something happened to the skins, I would then be a fan of the Steelers.

1. Punt Returning - he's not as great as people make him out to be... be ready for him to run side-to-side for about a mile while only netting 10 yards or so.

his 10.2 yards a return was good enough for 3rd in the NFL last year.

Ryan Clark plays hard, hated to see him go

Couldn't agree with you more. Every post I have seen that starts out with "[insert NFL team]'s fan view of [such and such] player going to skins" is always chock full of negativity with maybe one or two positive rebuttals that really are only said to support the negativity lol. (ie. I know santana moss is small but he makes up for it with blah blah, yet Randel El is hammered for being about the same size.)

This is not entirely true. I am very critical of the Steelers and players when I need to be, it's one of the best things about message boards on the interent... you can discuss the shortcomings of your team if you find the ray rah crap to be boring.

I'm not giong to quote my past but I would have said the same things about Randle El even if he were still on the Steelers. He made one good pass in the Super Bowl and everybody is treating him like he is the next best thing. I would only want him back because he knew the system and it would help the overall chemistry of the team... but I don't think I would pay him more money to do pretty much the same thing for the Steelers.

Let me say I wanted the Steelers to beat Seattle, on the otherhandI want to say Seattle got screwed and Pittsburg was lucky to walk away with the Lombardi.

Do you really think so? The only wrong call was Ben's TD and I think that w/ 4 and inches we would have gotten it in w/ the Bus anyways.

Seattle was unprepared for the game and the Steelers played poorly and still beat them. The whole league knows that the trick plays come around the 50-yd line and Seattle got beat pretty badly. Poor clock management, dropped passes, complaining about the calls instead of playing the game, all these contributed to the Seahawks losing.

I agree, 100%

You said the steelers finds "sleepers".

Well guess what...They found another great sleeper.

His weakness if you want to call it that.....

example

"CB blitz QB(because no DL pass rush),

ss (clark)fakes blitz and then sprints back across the field to catch WR who is running (HOT ROUTE -- fade route/corner route), after seeing CB try and jump the count to rush the QB

blitzing CB gets picked up by RB (no pressure on QB)...

QB hits wide open wr..yrds.. SS (clark) prevents TD.

Yet because he is the defensive leader on team(like gibbs takes full blame for play).

Do you really think so? The only wrong call was Ben's TD and I think that w/ 4 and inches we would have gotten it in w/ the Bus anyways.

Seattle was unprepared for the game and the Steelers played poorly and still beat them. The whole league knows that the trick plays come around the 50-yd line and Seattle got beat pretty badly. Poor clock management, dropped passes, complaining about the calls instead of playing the game, all these contributed to the Seahawks losing.

I agree with you here. I do not get all the people crying and saying the refs won the game for them. Bottom line is the Seahawks didnt play well enough to win. I am pretty sure Ben got in on that touchdown. All it takes is a single ATOM of the ball to touch the goal line... Haha... But the Bus would have gotten it in anyway. The only bad call I saw was the one on Hassalbeck. That was bogus. But other then that they were all good calls. Definite push off, and I do not see how you can say that was NOT holding. Give me a break, kept him from getting the sack.

Archived