Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From a Steeler Fan

anjang86

First off, yes... I think that you guys did indeed overpay for Randle El.

But he is one of the best slot recievers in the game. I don't know what Gibbs's plans are but I really hope its something to the effect of Moss & Lloyd #1 and Randle El #3.

There are many positives about Randle El that you guys have probably formulated for yourselves but here are some of the things that bother me about him:

1. Punt Returning - he's not as great as people make him out to be... be ready for him to run side-to-side for about a mile while only netting 10 yards or so.

2. Dropped Balls - he'll drop balls, simple

3. Height - height... he's short. I know Santana Moss isn't that tall but he makes up for it with his route running and speed... Randle El isn't polished enough to do this. Speaking of which...

4. Randle El isn't a polished reciever yet... which is why the Steelers were in no hurry to resign him.

FWIW: I think the Lloyd signing is 10X better than the Randle El one.

Now that I've told you all there is to know from a Steeler fan's perspective, I would like to see what you guys have to say about Ryan Clark. I know he only started for a year and that he was a FS, but he's about to become our starting FS next year and I'd like to hear some analysis from Redskins' fans if possible. Unlike the Redskins (and I'm not knocking the Redskins' methods), the Steelers keep quiet during FA and always find sleepers and I'm hoping Clark is one of them. What are your thoughts? I'll be happy to answer any further questions if you guys have any.

Now that I've told you all there is to know from a Steeler fan's perspective, I would like to see what you guys have to say about Ryan Clark. I know he only started for a year and that he was a FS, but he's about to become our starting FS next year and I'd like to hear some analysis from Redskins' fans if possible. Unlike the Redskins (and I'm not knocking the Redskins' methods), the Steelers keep quiet during FA and always find sleepers and I'm hoping Clark is one of them. What are your thoughts? I'll be happy to answer any further questions if you guys have any.

Clark actually played SS for us (Sean Taylor is our FS) although I still think he is more suited for FS. He is a big hitter for his size but that is one of his problems. He is only 205 lbs which limits him near the line of scrimmage.

He was very well liked by Skins fans and is an overachiever. I would have liked to see the Skins keep him for depth but figured he wouldn't want to stay here as a backup.

Ryan Clark is a solid tackler, but lacks some coverage skills. Which is why his signing, IMO, was not that good of one for the Steelers. The Steelers need a FS, and last year Clark was our SS. Clark plays decent around the line, but his coverage skills are not that good.

I think Hope should have been re-signed, but you chose Clark. I love the guy, but he definitley is a downgrade to Hope. But if you can mask his weakness in coverage, you should be ok.

I think Randle El will benefit more from a more aggressive passing game under Saunders. He will be used more so he will become polished faster.

In Ryan Clark you guys are getting a good safety at the right price. He will work hard, play with a chip on his shoulder and be a great locker room guy. He also has better pure cover skills than even the highest paid safety in the league. He also did some great things for the community while he was here. I hated to see him go

Sean Taylor was really the FS, even though the defensive coaches like to say they don't call their safeties strong and free. Sean Taylor was utilized predominantly in coverage, and is simply so fast that he could support the run even from deep drops. Ryan Clark played closer to the line, and essentially looked like a SS. He plays with a ton of heart, makes much bigger hits than you would expect out of someone his size, and is a good character guy. That said, he's not particularly fantastic in coverage, so I'm really surprised to hear he's being pegged as a FS.

Hope wasn't that great in coverage either... but this could have been due to Polamalu leaving him on an island all the time.

We always get DBs that can stop the run first, coverage is secondary for our secondary. We rely on our zone blitz schemes to confuse the QB instead of really covering the guy.

It's weird because our defense is so confusing but according to the coaches, Clark is going to call the plays next year?

No defense in the league is more complex than Gregg Williams'. He'll do a fine job for you in that capacity.

I respect that defense you run there, but I can't agree with you.

Both defenses are complicated, we'll just have to leave it at that. I was really hoping that we would play you guys in the Super Bowl so we could actually see a better matchup than what was shown.

I think you guys got a deal in Ryan Clark. I was really hoping that we were going to resign him. Clark is a guy who came in as a backup and worked hard to become a starter. He's a great team player and a funny guy. He may be a bit undersized for a FS, but I honestly believe that he'll make up for it in performance. Besides, I think he's bigger than Troy Polamalu, who's a great SS.

randel- el was stats were deflated because of the run-first attitude in pittsburg. their qbs were not asked to do much there and most of the receptions in the redzone went either to heath miller or hines ward. i believe saunders will do more for him and make him the dante hall of our offense. My predicted numbers for randel-el this year are 50 catches 730 yds 4 tds. i think moss production will slightly be lower but he still managers to eclipse the 1200 yards recieving mark.

randel- el was stats were deflated because of the run-first attitude in pittsburg. their qbs were not asked to do much there and most of the receptions in the redzone went either to heath miller or hines ward. i believe saunders will do more for him and make him the dante hall of our offense. My predicted numbers for randel-el this year are 50 catches 730 yds 4 tds. i think moss production will slightly be lower but he still managers to eclipse the 1200 yards recieving mark.

This is true. I really hope he succeeds in your offense, I always liked him as a player.

I liked Clark, played hard as everyone said, time will only tell how he does in your D.

I do not think I have seen ONE fan posting saying anything GOOD about ANY of the guys we have gotten. Anytime I see, "Here is a view from a Niners fan." or "About Randle El From the Pitts Fan." I think, well, here is yet another negative post. Always prove to be right.

i think dick lebeau, the man who created the zone-blitz, has a pretty complex defensive scheme himself, with all due respect to gregg williams . . .

anyway in my opinion, you guys got a heck of a ballplayer in randle el . . . yes, a lot fo money, but he'll contribute in a lot of ways . . . as a steeler fan, i was sad to se him leave, but that's what happens . . . you play well, you get paid, and i'm happy to see him go to a system where he will probably will see the football through the air more often . . . nothing but the best wishes for him and the skins . . .

i'm still curious about ryan clark . . . everything i hear is that he has a big heart, is undersized, is a great character guy, etc. what we need him for, in our 3-4 zone-blitz scheme, is to have a guy that can not only lay the big, well-timed hit, but hold his own in coverage if pressure doesn't get to the QB . . . is clark that guy?

i have a feeling we're going to like him either way . . . seems like a great little ball player and, in classic rooney family fashion, chris hope got shown the door the second he asked for a lot of money . . .

You guys got a good deal when you signed Clark. To be honest I'm suprised we let him go. He's a solid, hard-working if unspectacular player. While he won't stand out as a star, he won't be a weak link either. For the money you paid you should be very pleased.

Randle El essentially has what is reported to be a 4-year, $14 million deal. People need to QUIT getting hung up on the bonus structure. In our structure this is the WORST case scenario with Randle El where the fourth year is a dead money year. If he works out, the deal pays for itself. If he fails, that's the worst case. We just maximize guarantees and minimize base salaries where other teams can't match us.

i think dick lebeau, the man who created the zone-blitz, has a pretty complex defensive scheme himself, with all due respect to gregg williams . . .

anyway in my opinion, you guys got a heck of a ballplayer in randle el . . . yes, a lot fo money, but he'll contribute in a lot of ways . . . as a steeler fan, i was sad to se him leave, but that's what happens . . . you play well, you get paid, and i'm happy to see him go to a system where he will probably will see the football through the air more often . . . nothing but the best wishes for him and the skins . . .

i'm still curious about ryan clark . . . everything i hear is that he has a big heart, is undersized, is a great character guy, etc. what we need him for, in our 3-4 zone-blitz scheme, is to have a guy that can not only lay the big, well-timed hit, but hold his own in coverage if pressure doesn't get to the QB . . . is clark that guy?

i have a feeling we're going to like him either way . . . seems like a great little ball player and, in classic rooney family fashion, chris hope got shown the door the second he asked for a lot of money . . .

Dont worry man, you will like him, though he is not always that great in coverage. He is a good player, wish we had kept him around.

First off, yes... I think that you guys did indeed overpay for Randle El.

But he is one of the best slot recievers in the game. I don't know what Gibbs's plans are but I really hope its something to the effect of Moss & Lloyd #1 and Randle El #3.

There are many positives about Randle El that you guys have probably formulated for yourselves but here are some of the things that bother me about him:

1. Punt Returning - he's not as great as people make him out to be... be ready for him to run side-to-side for about a mile while only netting 10 yards or so.

2. Dropped Balls - he'll drop balls, simple

3. Height - height... he's short. I know Santana Moss isn't that tall but he makes up for it with his route running and speed... Randle El isn't polished enough to do this. Speaking of which...

4. Randle El isn't a polished reciever yet... which is why the Steelers were in no hurry to resign him.

FWIW: I think the Lloyd signing is 10X better than the Randle El one.

Enough already regarding WR's height. it doesn't matter, the top receivers last year were all 6 feet and under, Steve Smith, Moss, Galloway, etc. I would rather have a shorter WR with heart than a "NFL sized WR" with no heart any day. Thanks for the input - albeit all negative. Did I sense a little bitterness?

Guest amaprius

Clark was great in man to man but his zone coverage needs alot of help.

He would have been a perfect tandem with Archuleta because AA sucks at man to man and excels with zone

Archived