Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP: Arrington "Doesn't Fit" [for the Giants]

bredskin

No one is gonna over pay like the Skins. If Lavar were drafted by someone else, then the Skins would be interested. Randel El getting almost 12 mill in guranteed money is ridiculous.

The only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus. The media has a tendency to lump signing bonuses and roster bonuses and call them "guaranteed."

His truly guaranteed money is more in the lines of $7-8m, which is what Chicago wanted to give him.

Maybe the rest of the league has realized that Lavar has ALWAYS been about potential and not performance. He's not even the best LB available right now. Don't get me wrong. I like Lavar as a person and wished he could have stayed here. But he never became what everyone has said he should be.

For those reasons he doesn't scare me on another team: even an NFC East team. Pierce was a bigger loss than Lavar, IMO.

Yeah i used to drool over lavar but my dad was never big on him. One day he reminded me how he tries to make a huge play cause he thinks he sees something and leaves his post enabling teams to move the sticks late in games. His freelancing is def an issue. He would be outstanding if he stayed within the system. I didnt see why we couldnt put him on the line and blitz him. Hes good at that cause a sack in this league normally takes a fantastic play. Oh well i trust the trifecta, if we needed him here he would be here.

Hopefully everyone rejects him and he comes back for vet min

Im with you on half that. I hope everyone rejects him but I dont want him back. I think in the long run it would be good for Lavar to not be signed. His biggest problem is his over inflated self worth. It is why he does not play his assignments ( I am a play maker). It is why he wont fire his agents even after they have been proven to be more than negligent ( I didn’t make a mistake picking my agent). Lavar needs a wake up call.

Notice.. the Poston Brothers are shopping Arrington, Julian Petersen, and Charles Woodson.. big names all... any takers? Very little interest to say the least.

Those guys have put themselves behind the eight ball with the owners in this league. Looks to me like everyone took notice of their shenanigans with Arrington's contract, among oither things.

~Bang

Great point. I had wondered why Petersen wasn't on the radar. At this point it looks like the players are hurting themselves by keeping them as agents. It'll be interesting to see it play out.

I'd guess that it's not allowed for a team to go directly to a player and tell them they're interested in them, but only if they find a new agent. Maybe the players will get the message indirectly.

Maybe the rest of the league has realized that Lavar has ALWAYS been about potential and not performance. He's not even the best LB available right now. Don't get me wrong. I like Lavar as a person and wished he could have stayed here. But he never became what everyone has said he should be.

For those reasons he doesn't scare me on another team: even an NFC East team. Pierce was a bigger loss than Lavar, IMO.

Well said. If I recall #56 was supposed to be the second coming of LT, better even. SURVEY SAYS .........

LA has a good head and is not a liability off the field. The guy enjoys Hans Zimmer and playing Chess, I like that in a person. It would have been nice if he would have made the necessary changes to his contract and bought into the system here. The fans would have loved him and he would have dont good(great) things.

I wish him well.

What will I do with the Jersey that still has the tags on it?????

Giants | More about Arrington

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:18:34 -0800

Paul Schwartz, of the New York Post, reports there are some interesting theories floating around regarding free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) and the New York Giants. One involves a conflict of sorts between the front office, which is leaning toward trying to sign Arrington, and the coaching staff, which is not sure he will fit in with the defensive scheme. Arrington, who has spent all six of his NFL seasons with the Redskins, is a superb athlete, but tends to freelance on the field and that may have turned off the coaching staff. Arrington also may be at his best playing in a 3-4 defensive scheme, but the Giants are a 4-3 team that relies on the pass-rushing skills of DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. "It doesn't fit," said someone with knowledge of the situation. Another factor is Arrington is seeking a big contract, which would limit how active the Giants can be in free agency.

Giants | Team may make an offer for Arrington Tuesday

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:15:24 -0800

Mike Garafolo, of the Star-Ledger, reports agent Carl Poston said he spoke to the New York Giants Monday, March 13, but the team did not make an offer for free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins). Poston expects the Giants to make a proposal Tuesday, March 14. There's also a chance Arrington could visit other teams.

I really do not believe Lavar will be a Giant.. There has been word that the Bengals have shown some interest in him I think he will be a Bengal think about it Marvin Lewis the head coach..

I don't think Lavar would want to go to Cincy. We all know Marvin Lewis is going to put him back at DE. But who knows, maybe Lavar would like to play there, it was his most productive season in his career.

Lavar didn't seem to regain his exposiveness last year. That is the key to his big play ability. I suspect he's just not his old self, and most teams aren't willing to pay the money he's asking. I think he's in for a rude awakening. He should have restructered and been part of the superbowl win. I'm glad the circus is over, though.

Lavar didn't seem to regain his exposiveness last year. That is the key to his big play ability. I suspect he's just not his old self, and most teams aren't willing to pay the money he's asking. I think he's in for a rude awakening. He should have restructered and been part of the superbowl win. I'm glad the circus is over, though.

If you look at pictures of Lavar from 3 years ago, and look at him last season, you can see that he was playing at a much bigger weight than his usual game weight. This could possibly be due to his knee injury and having to play his way back into game shape, but I'm a little skeptical.

He looked way too big, and seemed to have lost his sideline-to-sideline speed, awesome agility, and explosion into hits. With those natural talents he's pretty much nothing, he's never been the smartest player on the field and has always gotten by, by relying on his natural talents.

You know what is strange. Miami Hurricanes played PSU in 1999 and when Arrington was being drafted all the guys on the board were saying he was the most overrated player in college football.

I thought it was sour grapes that he was playing for the Skins and not whoever they liked. But turns out they were pretty prescient in seeing how things turned out. In his time here, was he really the #2 overall player in the entire draft?!!

The Postons are straight up incompetent, how on earth has Arrington not realized that yet. By letting their client agree to pay back $4.4 million in bonus money LaVar will pass on $15.9 million this season alone, money he will NEVER get back.

Granted, there is no guarantee Arrington would have ever seen the $6.5 million dollar roster bonus or his $5 million base salary he was scheduled to make but as his agents they should have kept the dialog open, advised their client to restructure in return for an opt-out clause and kept Arrington with the Redskins.

With all the questions surrounding Lavar's health and ability to play within a structured environment which team in their right mind is going to pay Arrington?

I was looking at some old pictures of Lavar and discovered something. Just like Gregg Williams has been saying all along, Lavar Arrington needs to get in better shape. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

This is what Lavar looked like before his injury:

Arrington%204PSUPG.jpg

This is what he looks like now:

_E7T0294PG.jpg

Maybe the G-men realize this too. What do you think?

go figure, hes a bum

Wow! A bum..yeah I'm sure thats exactly what you were saying when we first picked him up from Penn State. Dude, sometimes you should just keep your thoughts to yourself. I understand you have every right to type what you want on here but labling LA as a bum is just downright obsurd. He will always be remembered as one of my favorite in B & G. I dont know too many players who can be so freakishly scarey on the field like LA can possess. Ask Troy Akmin..

Archived