Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Clark criticizes the Redskins...

wilbur58z

Didn't I read a few days ago that Clark and the Redskins were simply apart on money? I don't think it's fair to say they didn't try to bring him back. I don't know what numbers they were discussing but it's possible that the Redskins were completely fair and Clark just doesn't realize it yet. Or maybe Clark is about to be overpaid to go elsewhere and that's just the way it goes sometimes. No one's fault.

Everything I have seen and read tells me that Archuleta and Clark play the same position whether Sean Taylor is back or not. I don't see how we can start two strong safeties who function best near the line of scrimmage and have limited coverage skills. If the worst happens to Taylor then either Prioleau or someone not currently in the picture becomes the free safety. Neither Clark nor Archuleta is qualified.

I think the Redskins have the right approach if not the right player. They need to try to sign a starting strong safety. Waiting to see if someone makes Clark rich is a sucker's game because they risk winding up with nothing. Clark is no more the property of the Redskins than Archuleta is. Both are free agents and the Redskins should be making the best deal for themselves from all the available players.

Well, the problem is that Ryan didn't say "feed my family" and the poster who first 'quoted' him as saying that was WRONG.

I didn't say he said that. I said he was giving that routine.

There's nothing wrong with hm wanting to take care of his family, but its dishonest to bring that into the equation. It's just used as some kind of sympathy tactic towards the public.

Are you saying he couldn't 'take care of his family' on what the Redskins are offering him? :rolleyes:

I think ryan just was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I really think we are considering Arch because of ST trial and there is a chance (Hopefully a small one) that he will not be available next year. I think we need a great safety because were going to blitz next year a lot and we need the safety to cover hold the defense together. Clark played great last year but he is not a "first round" guy so he is getting the raw end of the deal because we have an uncertainty at safety. Plus Prelue played well last year and could step in if one of those guys gets hurt. Clark wants to play and I don't blame him, he does not want to ride the bench and if he signs with another team I wish him all the best.

He can blame it on his buddy ST. Im actually kind of pissed at him. All this because he was a knucklehead and did show up to camp. Now look at the possition he put the team in. This is costing the team and Snyder.

Im not sure how what I would do with him. ST has made the number one error, he has screwed the team.

I didn't say he said that. I said he was giving that routine.

There's nothing wrong with hm wanting to take care of his family, but its dishonest to bring that into the equation. It's just used as some kind of sympathy tactic towards the public.

Are you saying he couldn't 'take care of his family' on what the Redskins are offering him? :rolleyes:

That is not what hes implying, hes saying he doesn't need a boatload of money for him to sign with us.

I'm somewhat torn on Clark's statements.

First, Clark is a bit of an overachiever. He's more suited for free safety than strong. He's a convered corner so he brings an element most teams don't have there, but, he's not a guy you consider "special". Archuleta has flaws to be sure, but, he improves the strong safety position. Getting him and using Clark as well makes sense to me. Clark's problem isn't that he says the money isn't necessarily right for him. He essentially is saying even if it was right, he won't be a backup again.

If he's better than Archuleta, should we add him, he won't be. If he's worse, he will be. While I don't view Clark as a core guy we have to keep, he has a point that this team really has/had an opportunity to show the existing players that they will also be taken care of. We evaluate every player and see where we can improve and clearly we can improve at strong safety.

It would be nice, though, if we could do that AND keep Clark happy and playing for us, though that may be unrealistic.

Neither the 5-foot-10, 192-pound Randle El nor the 6-foot, 192-pound Lloyd (48 touchdowns, 733 yards, five touchdowns) is the big receiver Washington was seeking to play opposite 5-10, 190-pound Pro Bowl starter Santana Moss.

Elfin is such a tool. We got both receivers we clearly wanted all along. We went immediately after them, ignoring all other receivers. And, somehow neither guy fits the "big" receiver Washington had been seeking? Uh, anyone think Washington hadn't been seeking that at all less they actually would have tried to sign that big receiver. Maybe the media created that and now uses that fiction to make it seem like the Redskins lost out on something. Bunch of dopes.

Ryan said he'd take less money to stay here.

How much less? Pierce said that too and our offer was reportedly just like $1 million less and he still bolted.

The fact of the matter is we don't know what the Redskins are offering and what other teams are offering.

I'm always suspicious of players who say that anyway. It's just a bargaining tool, almost like a PR stunt to get fans to pity them or something and to make the team look like the bad ones in the whole deal.

"I feel like I've played well enough to put myself in the position to help my family, help my parents out and get some things straight in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina," Clark said. "So that's what I'm trying to do: get fair value for what I've done."

(http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15737)

While RC probably has enough cash to feed a couple families, he isn't quite T.O.

When did Ryan Clark become a Pro Bowl player??? Sorry, IMHO he isnt worth the time spent talking about him. I'd love to see Archuleta roaming the secondary with S.T. Talk about some hittin going on!

I don't really think Ryan's remarks are that big of a deal. Certainly not as disrespectful as people want to make them out to be. If we keep him, fine. If not, also fine. What can you do? We can do better at the SS position. Honestly, I'm not sure why people are getting their feathers ruffled over this.

Don't forget, he was rumored to have been cut two pre-seasons ago. This isn't a franchise player we're talking about. While it would be nice to keep him, we can definitely improve at that position and it's clear he'll only be happy as a starter.

This wasn't a rip. Clark is good, but he is nothing special. Our FO and coaches should be going after the best talent available. If they weren', most of you would be ****ing about that. Taylor may be in prison next year, and without him our current secondary would not hold its weight. By the time we know for sure about Taylor, it will be too late to get a good FA.

First let me say that I love guys like Ryan Clark, but before he came to Washington he was a training camp filler/roster filler. He only got that much playing time because we had nobody else worthy of being on the field. Bowen was a mistake hire so our hands were tied, Clark was only better than Matt Bowen, thats why he played. I wanted them to keep him for depth and special teams, he is not a great safety in this league.

He actually thought when Joe Gibbs talked about core players he was talking to him? Come on Ryan, core players are the guys that teams cannot loose and are very hard to replace. You, well, are very easy to replace.

Archived