Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Signing Lloyd doesn't make sense to me...

NYSkins1

Or at least signing him and still persuing Randle El doesn't make sense to me. It seems superfluous to bring in two new WRs this year if we're not doing a complete overhaul (as we did last year). Why didn't we see if Randle El would come through and then go after Lloyd if he fell through? I'm pretty happy with Moss, Lloyd, Patten, and Thrash, even though I'd be happier with Moss, Randle El, Patten, and Thrash. However, having both Randle El and Lloyd seems like we're pumping too much money into one position. So why did we sign Lloyd when we could still have gone after Randle El?

El will be great as a #3, and our new, much needed punt/kick returner. Also, Lloyd and El are insurance for each other. If one fails, the other one will(should) flourish. Patten will be traded. Then again, you never know, he might stay here. I wouldn't complain either way.

I've said I'm surprised we'd acquire both players and you're right, it is a lot of money for one position if it were to happen. But, the reason for Lloyd is simple. He's THE best free agent receiver available. Javon Walker isn't available. Lloyd is the best in terms of solid production on a terrible team and future upside and potential. Randle El is not a guy to get excited about as a TRUE No. 2 receiver. But, as a slot guy who creates problems for other teams ON a team running a ton of three receiver sets and suddenly you have an offense that is very difficult to defend if neither Randle El OR Lloyd improve much, and it becomes among the game's elite if either does take it up a level.

The fact is on offense we really only need receivers and depth on the offensive line. On defense we need a little more. We need defensive line help at both spots, linebacker help, corner depth and safety depth/protection/starter take your pick. It certainly appears the moves are designed to address most obvious weaknesses leaving just a little more work to do.

Such a move for both receivers is the kind of thing that turns an offense that was above average into a Top 10 unit and perhaps something even greater.

... However, having both Randle El and Lloyd seems like we're pumping too much money into one position. So why did we sign Lloyd when we could still have gone after Randle El?

Picture a 3 WR set Cooley at TE Portis singleback. what will the Defense do?

Dbl either WR, the other 2 are open and can get deep w/ seperation. Cooley is 1 on 1 w/ an LB up the middle or quick out. But best of all you have 4-5 men in the box to stop the run........ I'm taking bets for a 2000 yrd season for Portis....... :notworthy

Seems worth it.

El will be great as a #3, and our new, much needed punt/kick returner. Also, Lloyd and El are insurance for each other. If one fails, the other one will(should) flourish. Patten will be traded. Then again, you never know, he might stay here. I wouldn't complain either way.

Good point. Its never bad to have insurance.

I think we are looking for a good third down receiver and some "hot hands" in the redzone.The coaching staff wants to get the double coverage away from Moss and maybe even Patten.Lloyd better learn how to block because it will be asked of him alot from Gibbs.Welcome to a real football team Lloyd!!!!

I'm with the original poster on this one.

It just seems like an awful lot of cap space to have tied up in one position, especially when you take into account Santana's deal.

And return men are over-rated, imho. :2cents:

I say let Randle El sign with the Bears, let's get Carter though.

Dbl either WR, the other 2 are open and can get deep w/ seperation. Cooley is 1 on 1 w/ an LB up the middle or quick out. But best of all you have 4-5 men in the box to stop the run........ I'm taking bets for a 2000 yrd season for Portis....... :notworthy

Seems worth it.

Exactly. If we get Randle El, and another solid TE now that Royal is gone, our offense would be deadly. How would defend againt a team who has a WR who can pass the ball, run it and catch it; a WR that can make one-handed catches with ease, and a WR who is so fast that he can outrun anyone on the field? Not to mention a sure-handed, good blocking TE/H-B in Cooley, and a top 10 RB in the league?

Defenses would have so much trouble game-planning for that, it wouldnt even be funny. Our offense would be set, and with a few additions on defense, we def. would be considered a super-bowl threat.

Seems worth it.

Exactly. A three receiver set with Cooley and Portis on the field becomes a troublesome matchup. If you stick with a base defense, we're going to have at least one matchup that seriously favors us. If you go small, we still have the ability to hurt you with Portis.

Lloyd is the sort of player you can see causing teams to stay honest on defense keeping both safeties back. Remember how teams thought you had to blitz the Colts to stop them, and how this year teams decided to stay back and it actually worked more. We will see defenses having to figure that out for us with these weapons. I expect them to pressure us heavy early, only to pull back after a few games early where we slip a couple of tackles and go for big gains against aggressive defenses.

The entire dynamic of what you can do on offense changes. In your base set you're better than you were last year. In your three receiver set your as good as any team in the league save perhaps the Cards. Now you'd have a four-receiver option you haven't had. The offense can do things in a way that makes us very dangerous if all this happens. Even just with Lloyd we've lengthened the receiving depth and talent. Add both and it's awfully good.

yeh they have

where have they confirmed it, all it says on their website is this..,

"According to the Associated Press, the Redskins have traded a pair of draft picks--a third-rounder in 2006 and a fourth-rounder in 2007--to the San Francisco 49ers to acquire wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, a restricted free agent this offseason. There is nothing official from Redskins Park, however. "

I'm with the original poster on this one.

It just seems like an awful lot of cap space to have tied up in one position, especially when you take into account Santana's deal.

And return men are over-rated, imho. :2cents:

I say let Randle El sign with the Bears, let's get Carter though.

Sounds like a plan to me, if we want to sign another guy we should look into Jabar Gaffney or Az Hakim...three WR's with pretty big names and a unspectacular QB could be a bad mix (not bashing Brunell but being realistic)

The Bears.

Thats all i have heard. Us, and the Bears are the only 2 teams seriously interested in him.

I believe it was also mentioned in one of the San Fran/San Jose newspaper articles posted today about the Lloyd trade that perhaps now the 49ers might be players in the RE sweepstakes. Perhaps just wishful thinking on their part.

Archived