Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Signing Lloyd doesn't make sense to me...

NYSkins1

Or at least signing him and still persuing Randle El doesn't make sense to me. It seems superfluous to bring in two new WRs this year if we're not doing a complete overhaul (as we did last year). Why didn't we see if Randle El would come through and then go after Lloyd if he fell through? I'm pretty happy with Moss, Lloyd, Patten, and Thrash, even though I'd be happier with Moss, Randle El, Patten, and Thrash. However, having both Randle El and Lloyd seems like we're pumping too much money into one position. So why did we sign Lloyd when we could still have gone after Randle El?

Because Gibbs knows how to build champions, remember the posse? With 3 great recievers, Portis in the back field, we will rip through defenses.

Nobody knew how good Santana Moss was in NY but Joe Gibbs sure seen something the whole NFL didnt and look how he turned out. He seen something in this guy Lloyd as well and theres a reason he went to get him, plain and simple Joe Gibbs doesnt build a half ass team, he builds a beast and SuperBowl Champions.

I really don't think we will end up with Randle El the Steelers and the Bears can offer him more money and more playing time but I would be very happy with Moss/Lloyd/Patten/Thrash - Jabobs or scrub at the depth chart . Patten will be a beast at No2/3 with him and Moss as the speedsters and the quick acrobatic Lloyd, and Cooley or Sellars as the big targets and Portis in the backfield that is a scarry offence with some decent depth and adaptability to go from a wide open passing to a crushing pounding running team in a blink of the eye.

Randle El has had his star polished by the media too much and I would be happier if we didnt get him in the fact he would cost $$$$ but it makes sence to pursue him it builds his price up with teams knowing Danny usually gets the man he wants and would be a good alternative if the 9ers opted to keep Lloyd.

RE = too much $. Pass.

Snyder = Rich. Randel EL and Moss would make for one of the best reciever combos in the league. Randel EL returns punts, can be used on trick plays, is one of the main reasons the Steelers were so great with trick plays because everyone was focused on him.

Do you really expect Snyder to pass up on Randel EL? He is the best reciever avalaible and can help us win a super bowl.

yeah he was just in DC for show yesterday. It is not your money . Snyder wants to win a super bowl not get cheaptalent who will not be a upgrade over Patten. Llloyd was brought into be third wide out.

You act like there is no cap and no salary structure for the team. Skins had to let Pierce go because his contract was too high for the salary structure in place for LBs. Do you want to pay 5 million/yr for the number 3 WR? What does that say to Moss? What about Patten? He played injured for a few games and then went on IR. He doesn't have any trade value. But, can he still play? Were the Skins completely wrong about him last year? I hope they are not wrong about Lloyd because a 3rd and 4th picks are a high price to pay for him. I guess no WRs in the draft! The draft is going to be really boring with only a #2 round pick and then having to wait until round 5.

I think the front office knows how much money we have to spend. They know what our needs are. They have a plan to improve the football team. Let's just wait and see what the final product looks like. It may not always make sense when you look at each move individually, but once it's all done, we'll be able to see the vision. I'm excited to see what they do.

i love when people say stuff like forget Randel EL and get some scrub. It is like telling a rich man who wants a benz or BMW to get a toyota corolla. The people who post this stuff must be just cheap people by nature.

Except by the nature of the salary cap nobody is rich. Snyder will do what he can to get around the cap but even that is limited. You can only overpay at so many positions and to get Randle-El we would have to overpay for what he would be for us and that is a #3. If this were 1985 I would agree but it's not.

Personally I seriously doubt he comes here because I'm pretty sure he wants to play a bigger role in the offense and he wouldn't get that here.

Like Gibbs said a long time ago, we are going for TWO big time WRs.

We are not looking at Randle El OR Brandon Lloyd. We are looking at Randle EL AND Brandon Lloyd. We got an amazing deal on Lloyd, which gives us the room to make a serious play for a guy like Randle El.

Brandon Lloyd is a legit #1 WR and he would have had 1000+ yards if Tim Rattay had started the entire season. That makes him an excellent starting WR to be paired with Moss.

Randle El and Givens are great #2 WRs that would make an excellent #3 WR for us.

Except by the nature of the salary cap nobody is rich. Snyder will do what he can to get around the cap but even that is limited. You can only overpay at so many positions and to get Randle-El we would have to overpay for what he would be for us and that is a #3. If this were 1985 I would agree but it's not.

Personally I seriously doubt he comes here because I'm pretty sure he wants to play a bigger role in the offense and he wouldn't get that here.

We need Randel EL. We have to stop going cheap on offense. Greg Williams has proven he needs less talent on D to keep it top 10. We need some weapons or we will not beat Seattle in the NFC title game next yr. We will not even beat Philly or NY for the giants. Randel may push us over the top for the east. Espically if Philly gets stronger.

I've said I'm surprised we'd acquire both players and you're right, it is a lot of money for one position if it were to happen. But, the reason for Lloyd is simple. He's THE best free agent receiver available. Javon Walker isn't available.

I don't believe Lloyd was a free agent. He was available because he wanted out of SF.

I think this makes a lot of sense actually. Randel-El and Moss are fairly similar receivers. Lloyd is a little bigger. I think signing Lloyd gives us a little leverage with Randel-El. We won't be so desperate to sign him now and won't give up the house for him.

I think we're looking for the Monk, Brown, Garrett or Monk, Sanders, Clark combination (and no, I'm not saying Lloyd is in the same category as Monk!).

Lloyd's attitude does bother me though. From the article posted by Tarhog in the official FA Thread - "Though Lloyd made countless eye-popping catches during his three years with San Francisco, he also made a series of memorable drops and mistakes. Lloyd drew criticism from hard-nosed teammates such as Fred Beasley and Kevan Barlow for his flashy jewelry - and his aspirations to become a rapper in his spare time. "

Become a rapper in his free time??? Sounds like a Ron Artest wannabe.

[EDIT: Lloyd was a RFA, so I stand corrected]

Hail,

H

Its pretty evident that Al Saunders and the offense side of the ball are calling a lot of shots here, and rightfully so, the offense's lack of production pretty much ended our season, I just hope we don't slip into the KC Cheifs/Rams type of playing where offense compelely dominates and leaves the defense behind.

Is it me or does a great offense almost always equate to a bad defense? (I guess it is a little early though for me to assume that our O is gonna be great)

I think we need to look at the over all value of RE. He will be a 3rd WR, a KR maybe a PR and maybe an emergency QB not to mention the value he has for trick plays which we all know helped the steelers get to the SB. We paid Chad Morton a couple of million a year to be just the kich returner. The money would be worth filling all of those positions.

Such a move for both receivers is the kind of thing that turns an offense that was above average into a Top 10 unit and perhaps something even greater.

Not to mention a great mind like Al Saunders running it. He really can make something out of nothing... just look at some of the wide receivers Kansas City has had over the years.

HTTR

Lloyd caught five touchdown passes last year. Two of them were in one game... against Dallas. ;)

Maybe he has Dallas' number. You know how some players always seem to play at a higher than normal level against certain teams.

I think there are plenty of other reasons why getting Lloyd makes sense, already commented on, but hey, if Moss gets two, and Lloyd gets two...

I know, it's weak, but it's so much fun imagining four passing touchdowns against the Cowboys.

This is going to be something next year you look back on and say "what the hell did I post that?"

I hope so, but I was also in the minority last year when we traded for Moss--I was one of the few who was actually excited about him--and I was right then. I hope that I'm wrong, but pumping so much money into WR doesn't make sense to me when we have more pressing needs, like LB, depth at O-Line, and DE.

I've said I'm surprised we'd acquire both players and you're right, it is a lot of money for one position if it were to happen. But, the reason for Lloyd is simple. He's THE best free agent receiver available. Javon Walker isn't available. Lloyd is the best in terms of solid production on a terrible team and future upside and potential. Randle El is not a guy to get excited about as a TRUE No. 2 receiver. But, as a slot guy who creates problems for other teams ON a team running a ton of three receiver sets and suddenly you have an offense that is very difficult to defend if neither Randle El OR Lloyd improve much, and it becomes among the game's elite if either does take it up a level.

The fact is on offense we really only need receivers and depth on the offensive line. On defense we need a little more. We need defensive line help at both spots, linebacker help, corner depth and safety depth/protection/starter take your pick. It certainly appears the moves are designed to address most obvious weaknesses leaving just a little more work to do.

Such a move for both receivers is the kind of thing that turns an offense that was above average into a Top 10 unit and perhaps something even greater.

Art is smart!!!! :applause:

I agree HTTR! ;)

I hope so, but I was also in the minority last year when we traded for Moss--I was one of the few who was actually excited about him--and I was right then. I hope that I'm wrong, but pumping so much money into WR doesn't make sense to me when we have more pressing needs, like LB, depth at O-Line, and DE.

You are correct. We already had Lloyd so we should have focused on the O-Line and our D instead. We need a decent OLB to fill Arrington's hole, we need depth at CB, and our D-Line could use a young, good pass rusher. I don't see how we have the cash to sign both of these guys AND to address our other needs, especially since we barely have any draft picks.

Archived