Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Signing Lloyd doesn't make sense to me...

NYSkins1

We are still going after Randle El. And that is a very smart move. If we miss out on him, expect the Redskins to move on to another WR... maybe Givens.

You know, we do keep it fun regardless. What do the fans of boring teams do this time of year? Sheesh, I couldn't cope, too used to Danny bringing in the new toys for us.:applause:

Exactly. If we get Randle El, and another solid TE now that Royal is gone, our offense would be deadly. How would defend againt a team who has a WR who can pass the ball, run it and catch it; a WR that can make one-handed catches with ease, and a WR who is so fast that he can outrun anyone on the field? Not to mention a sure-handed, good blocking TE/H-B in Cooley, and a top 10 RB in the league?

But there's one thing we don't have, and it's the most important: a quarterback.

They TRADED for Lloyd. He signed the 1 year tender from the 49ers so the Redskins actually acquire that contract. It's around $1 million. Not sure if it was reported that he signed an extension but I haven't read that anywhere as of yet. So you can't really say they are dumping a bunch of money into one position when technically they haven't spent ANY money on that position...

Perhaps Lloyd is a one year project/insurance for Patten? Or perhaps this is Patten's last day/week/month/season as a Redskin...Makes sense to trade for and then sign Lloyd to an extension if you know Patten is on the way out within the next year. Moss Randle El and Lloyd is a pretty good "posse" for the next 4-5 years...

Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, Patten, and Thrash is a pretty deep WR corps, and since WR DEPTH was the biggest issue last year, I think the Redskins are going with not only quantity but also QUALITY. I think Gibbs is scared to go into the season without some veteran depth as well as future greatness in the WR corps. He didn't get that from Thrash and Jacobs last year so he is gonna make sure he has a couple of better options than those guys this season...

Even if you prefer Randle El, waiting on Lloyd would have been a mistake ... If we waited, we might have ended up with nothing, and WR is clearly a huge need for us. Some teams might prioritize and wait, but that's definitely not the Redskins' style - we were not going to come out of this empty handed. When Lloyd became available, we had to make the move, and we got a quality WR for our price. If we also sign Randle El, it will be icing on the cake.

Picture a 3 WR set Cooley at TE Portis singleback. what will the Defense do?

Dbl either WR, the other 2 are open and can get deep w/ seperation. Cooley is 1 on 1 w/ an LB up the middle or quick out. But best of all you have 4-5 men in the box to stop the run........ I'm taking bets for a 2000 yrd season for Portis....... :notworthy

Seems worth it.

Yeah as great as the passing game will be the wholes this will open up for Portis are just going to be crazy mad sick!!! Portis could have an MVP year next year like Alexander did this year. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we get all of the passing weapons it appears we are getting. With the weapons we'll have at our disposal we could probably put Heath Shu.....nah, not even going to go there.

The fact is on offense we really only need receivers and depth on the offensive line. On defense we need a little more. We need defensive line help at both spots, linebacker help, corner depth and safety depth/protection/starter take your pick. It certainly appears the moves are designed to address most obvious weaknesses leaving just a little more work to do.

Art, Art, Art... Rome was not built in a day my friend. Patten went down and we were screwed for the most part at the receiving position. Moss was doubled while Jacobs and Thrash were unable to take the heat off. Not to mention becoming even a little bit of a factor in our offense. Having both Lloyd and Randel El provide us with the needed depth and the insurance should one of our starting WR's go down.

As for the defense--We need depth more than anything. A solid pass-rush is a given but not a necessity. Just not this year that is. Our defense was great down the stretch last year, it was our offense that killed us in the playoffs.

Such a move for both receivers is the kind of thing that turns an offense that was above average into a Top 10 unit and perhaps something even greater

This I do agree with 100%. This gives JC the needed talent to help him grow into our offense or even help MB have an even bigger year actually having more than one receiver to throw to.

Jason Campbell. And we still have Brunell who even though may have faded during the postseason, can still play. As we saw the entire season.

:point2sky

Be realistic. I'd love to see Campbell come in and throw 30+ touchdowns. But we can expect 18-20 tops from him. As much potential as he has, look at him for what he is: an unproven, essentially rookie quarterback. He has done nothing to prove otherwise so far in his career.

He'll probably be able to get the job done if we get a supporting cast like this around him, but I still wouldn't expect to see great things out of him in 2006...but I will still hope for it.

Be realistic. I'd love to see Campbell come in and throw 30+ touchdowns. But we can expect 18-20 tops from him. As much potential as he has, look at him for what he is: an unproven, essentially rookie quarterback. He has done nothing to prove otherwise so far in his career.

He'll probably be able to get the job done if we get a supporting cast like this around him, but I still wouldn't expect to see great things out of him in 2006...but I will still hope for it.

Good points dude. But you do have to factor in that he has yet been given the chance either. Gibbs loves him it seems and has a lot of faith in him. I will have to trust Gibbs judgement on this, like I have a million times before. He has yet to let me down so until then.. JC should be given the ball if he does have some success in training camp. With all this talent on offense (with or without Randel El) he should soar! He sure can't be another Joey Harrington can he? :laugh:

The question I have is, would Randal El really be that much better than Patten, and would he really be worth the (high) salary that he would command for us? My feeling is no. If the goal is to give one-on-one coverage to Moss, Patten certainly fit the bill as far as that goes.

Personally I'd rather have a rookie or a cheap but solid guy in reserve if any of these guys go down, rather than paying for another expensive insurance policy.

Jason

It's okay, it doesn't have to make sense to you to make sense. :)

Seriously, that was mean, but in all honesty what's happening is that Snyder and Gibbs aren't playing around. They're dead serious about winning football games for a long period of time. That includes championships.

Having two solid Wrs is great, having three is a whole nother ballgame. When you think about it, this is sort of like 2000. Difference is we're being smart and going after the right players, young players. Nothing Gibbs and Snyder are doing right now may make sense, but everyone will see the light come next Feburary.

Trust me. :)

Guest mwill008

On the 49ers Lloyd was #2 WR and he still had over 700 yards and 5 TD. Imagine if our #2 had those types of numbers last year.

Yeah it seems a bit odd to me to be looking at Randle El too(I think Lloyd is da bomb), but think about it this way: We will have one decked out recieving core, in the hands of the best OC in football. Cant complain about that. Other than WR on offense, all we need is a half decent TE. On defense, while you can maintain we have some holes to fill, so far we have really only lost 1 starter(2 if clark goes, not replaced by arch). And with GWilliams track record, it doesnt matter WHO he has, they play well. Regardless I think we have enough cap room to go after a LB, DB, and DE anyhow. A bit odd to me but, if it goes, dang wont we be the envy of the league.

I'm with the original poster on this one.

It just seems like an awful lot of cap space to have tied up in one position, especially when you take into account Santana's deal.

And return men are over-rated, imho. :2cents:

I say let Randle El sign with the Bears, let's get Carter though.

i agree... at this point, a DE or even an LB, CB, or S is more important than a WR now that we have Lloyd.. I'd rather spend the money on Carter, Ryan Clark, and/or a LB and let patten and thrash battle for the #3/4 spot

Archived