Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don Banks makes another Snyder-bashing comment? No way!

NewCliche21

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/10/snap.judgments.fa/1.html

• That sound you hear off in the distance is Redskins owner Daniel Snyder firing up the engines on his private jet -- a.k.a. "Free Agency One'' -- in yet another of his many attempts to win a league championship in March. Snyder is at least getting more prudent with his free-agent purchases. But then, after you given millions to the likes of has-beens like Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith and Mark Carrier in the 2000 free agency period, everything's an improvement.

What an ass. Does he even remember the Redskins second-round playoff berth, or the new head coach/president?

Sorry if this has been posted before. Searched and couldn't find it.

People will continue to take shots at the past because its easy. The skins just need to stay the course now and it won't give anyone room to jab.

If the 2000 season is the only real way the media can hammer the FO I'm fine with that. You just have to remember its 2006 and six years latter where getting damn good with free agent signings.

In a way I feel bad for Danny boy and in a way I don't. He made some HORRIBLE decisions that lead to the reputation he now suffers from. He is slowly but surely dragging himself out from under the cloud of reckless spending he put himself under. Bringing Gibbs back will in time prove to be the thing that changed Snyder's legacy forever. You think Mr Cooke knew football? Hell no !! But he knew enough to get the hell out of the way and be there (with checkbook in hand) when coach needed him. If Dan follows Mr Cooke's lead (which he seems to be doing of late) these naysayers will slowly fade away and he will be a respected (and feared) owner.......

As a journalist, I know for a fact that most writers are REALLY lazy. I think that more than anything, this is an example of simple sloth. Playing to fans with casual knowledge of the Redskins (97% of NFL fans), it's an easy way to get a blurb done and look like he's an NFL expert.

As a journalist, I know for a fact that most writers are REALLY lazy. I think that more than anything, this is an example of simple sloth. Playing to fans with casual knowledge of the Redskins (97% of NFL fans), it's an easy way to get a blurb done and look like he's an NFL expert.
He's probably used the same blurb the last three years. :laugh:

If the 2000 season is the only real way the media can hammer the FO I'm fine with that.

If I remember correctly the same media was crazy about Skins 2000 off-season. ESPN and SI both picked Skins and Denver go to the Super Bowl.

All "experts" (and probably Don Banks also) believed that Skins had the strongest defense in NFL, because we had Deion, B. Smith and rookie Lavar Arrington and that's why they all picked us to win SB.

You guys need to get over this type of stuff. You should be happy to have Snyder as your owner. He has proven that he wants to win. He made some mistakes early on and has learned from those mistakes. He did earn a poor reputation.

Jerry Jones got a horrible reputation in the mid to late 90's for firing Jimmy Johnson. He also learned from his mistakes, but the media still take jabs at him.

The longer they continue to put competitive teams on the field, the less they will be ridiculed.

2000 wasn't to be blamed on Snyder's signings. THe defense improved as it should have. It was Norv's refusal to go out and really get a kicker to replace Conway's always-injured ass and his weak coaching personality and his cowardly decisions and a TON of offensive injuries that did the team in.

There is a myth about that squad that it was 'chemistry' or lack of production from Smith and Sanders that somehow blew the team's chances--not at all. If Brad Johnson's arm had recovered from its late 1999 swoon and he had been more of a man about the Jeff George signing, the team could still have made the playoffs.

I guess the really big thing that stands out to me when I read drivel such as this, is the absence of mention to the numerous big name talent we currently have on our roster that were willing to help the cap situation by agreeing to contingency restructures of their existing contracts. If the players didn't view this as a place where they think a championship is possible, they'd either refuse to restructure or ask to be traded, which happens with EVERY NFL team.

Ask yourself, if you were a blue chip FA, would you want potential suitors to lay back or are you more likely to want to get out there early, get your signing bonus while it's in large supply and settle your employment security while the rest of the marginal players are still sifting through the leftovers?

I know what my answer would be. "I'd like to thank Mr. Snyder and Coach Gibbs, I'm flattered that a Hall of Fame coach felt that my God-given skills and determination matched the needs of this team......"

2000 wasn't to be blamed on Snyder's signings. THe defense improved as it should have. It was Norv's refusal to go out and really get a kicker to replace Conway's always-injured ass and his weak coaching personality and his cowardly decisions and a TON of offensive injuries that did the team in.

There is a myth about that squad that it was 'chemistry' or lack of production from Smith and Sanders that somehow blew the team's chances--not at all. If Brad Johnson's arm had recovered from its late 1999 swoon and he had been more of a man about the Jeff George signing, the team could still have made the playoffs.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Nailed it!!! Absolutely nailed it!!!

Funny how there was a group of folks loving Don Banks a day or so ago after he bashed LaVar. :rolleyes: You see, I told you, the guy is a light weight, never use him to back up your position on anything.

Hey Don, the year is 2006 I think you can stop with the 2000 "spending spree" garbage. It went out with the Y2K hysteria.

Guys,

Don Banks finds the anti-silver lining in everything. A new CBA gets signed, and he writes about the host of issues that will develop and how the fight has just begun. He's just a negative, cynical crumuggen. Who the hell cares what he says or thinks? Dallas went on crazy spending spree last season--signed the ole joke Bledsoe and look where it got them? We finally have a good leadership structure in place--let's enjoy it!

Shocking. What an assclown. What will he say when the Skins continue with their success? You know, about mid-season when the team was 5-6, Banks compared Gibbs to Spurrier and made a few other smartass comments, too.

The guy is a class A jerk, and he clearly has a bias against everything and anything that has to do with the Redskins. Screw him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/10/snap.judgments.fa/1.html

What an ass. Does he even remember the Redskins second-round playoff berth, or the new head coach/president?

do not trouble yourself over empty pots like banks, dr z , pastabelly and peter king... they are incensed over the skins not being flamed in cap hell as they so gleefully predicted. every time the skins front office is proved right all they can do is rehash one of the old failures. as you said, they might have commented uponthe fact that the skins lasted longer inthe playoffs than their beloved giants, or the fact that the precious cowboys were kept out by the same skins..

take it as a mark of the teams success that they are reduced to taking such pathetic pot shots at snyder. i guarantee you they would slobber at the chance of taking a ride on redskin 1 if it were offered. they are nothing more than jock sniffing whores-- the lot of them

Well, Banks just proved why he's a biased idiot. Most folks agree that the Skins 2000 off-season was impulsive and stupid. Most unbiased people also agree that they haven't had an off-season like that since. Snyder was a 35-year old rookie owner with lots of money to spread around. It's just amazing that off-season after off-season of well-considered, often unglamorous signings hasn't erase the stigma created by one season (6 years ago) of silliness. You don't have to like the Redskins' moves, but at least be accurate. We definitely didn't "win" the off-season last year -- many teams spent more and made "splashier" signings than we did, but did make it to the second round of the playoffs.

This guys a real tool. If he had checked our free agency record since Gibbs/Williams arrived he would see that a high percentage of our free agents are panning out.

Archived