Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Offensive Strategy?

Bigmuss1

Let me hear some thoughts on what we think Al Saunders will do to change up our offense. Do you think it will involve more screens or crossing patterns? I'm not concerned about our D, Gregg will have them play sound football. We struggled so badly to score in the second half, I'm just wondering what some of your ideas are!!

for one, we all should get used to the HB Screen Pass. the HB screen was a staple of the KC offense with Priest taking one to the house against the skins last year.

another thing that will be interesting to see is if they have any designed running plays for jason campbell.

i also have a feeling we will see santana run a lot of new plays next year, mainly double moves. teams were starting to pick up on the screen pass which was so successful all year long, so we won't be able to use it as much as we did last year.

A lot of the running plays will be similar as KC used the same type of power running plays that we did, bringing their guards out to pull. i can't wait to see randy have another pro bowl year out there plowing people over to clear the way for CP

i also have a feeling we will see santana run a lot of new plays next year, mainly double moves. teams were starting to pick up on the screen pass which was so successful all year long, so we won't be able to use it as much as we did last year.

I hope the first play of the season is a fake WR screen to Santana, the corner bites hard, and Santana goes deep and scores an eighty yard touchdown.

I agree, I think we'll see some more HB screens, and we'll see a lot more dump offs to the TE. I also think the opponents Def will have to guess more frequently at what's coming as I think we'll run in situations they would expect pass, and vice versa.

I think we will see a more aggressive passing game early to set up the run. I'd expect to see Cooley asked to run some deeper routes down the seams the way Gonzales does for the Chiefs and the ball spread around the receivers more (which would not be too hard based on last year).

The running game is not broke so don't fix it but I would like to see us try to get the ball to Portis in space with some HB screens.

I thought Portis has been completely underutilized as a receiving threat the past two years. So more of him will be good. We will also pass more on first downs and as the game is winding down we actually may mix things up instead of run run run punt which we all saw tooo many times when we had leads in the fourth quarter this year.

I understand running out the clock, but I believe had we gone for it on 4th down or mixed some passes in ... we would have won a couple more, such as the gave vs. Tampa.

Throwing screens had more to do with how our QB limits us. If MB is QB, I expect too see more of the same, though with Saunders stuff thrown in. Would be foolish to try and get MB to do stuff he physicaly cannot do. If Ramsey or Campbell are starting, opens up more possibilities, and the playcalling will reflect that. It all depends on who you have in there.

Throwing screens had more to do with how our QB limits us. If MB is QB, I expect too see more of the same, though with Saunders stuff thrown in. Would be foolish to try and get MB to do stuff he physicaly cannot do. If Ramsey or Campbell are starting, opens up more possibilities, and the playcalling will reflect that. It all depends on who you have in there.

I don't know if Ramsey has the touch to consistantly throw screen passes

I will admit to not having a whole lot of first-hand knowledge about Saunder's offensive style. I'm just hoping that he takes advantage of the wonderful new inovation in the league called the "TOUCHDOWN". It's kinda neat and worth more than TWO Field Goals COMBINED!!!!!(so long as you make the extra point). I know Coach Gibbs and his staff have been real high on Field Goals the last couple years but I really hope Saunders puts less emphasis on them and much more on TOUCHDOWNS.

I will admit to not having a whole lot of first-hand knowledge about Saunder's offensive style. I'm just hoping that he takes advantage of the wonderful new inovation in the league called the "TOUCHDOWN". It's kinda neat and worth more than TWO Field Goals COMBINED!!!!!(so long as you make the extra point). I know Coach Gibbs and his staff have been real high on Field Goals the last couple years but I really hope Saunders puts less emphasis on them and much more on TOUCHDOWNS.

TD's FG's

44 17

TD's FG's

26 19

TD's FG's

44 17

TD's FG's

26 19

Yep. In both season's you're talking an average of a FG a game +/-. That's not good in my mind. If you're close enough for John Hall to kick a FG, you really ought to be able to stick the ball in the End Zone. Hall isn't kicking 55 yard Field Goals. When you get down inside the 20 yard line, and especially inside the 10, there's no reason to have to kick a field goal instead of getting the ball in the End Zone.

This becomes increasingly important when you're talking about a league and a team where close games are the norm instead of blowouts. That FOUR point difference between the Field Goal and the Touchdown is quite possibly going to be the difference in a lot of games.

Hall has kicked SEVENTY PERCENT of his field goals in the last two years with the snap coming from the 20 yard line or closer. FOURTY PERCENT of them are from inside the 10 yard line. That tells me something about the quality of the offense, and what it says is not positive in any way.

Archived