Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry Sanders - Most Overrated Athlete in the History of Sport?

TradeTheBeal!

The only other viable threat on that team was Herman Moore. But Scott Mitchell STUNK!

I mean seriously. You're throwing out his playoff stats, but come playoff time teams just uber geared towards Sanders because they knew there was nobody else. Thus, his stats went down. In the playoffs, the best overall team is going to win 99% of the time. One player can't do it. Why do you think Marino never won the big one?

Put Marino and Sanders on a team and they'd have multiple SB's.

Go post this on a Cowboys message board. They would agree with you since that would mean Emmitt Smith was undoubtedly the best RB of that era.

Thank you so much for those videos. I forgot what a freak he was. Probably my favorite running back ever. I wasn't around to see Payton, Brown, or Sayers but I was around to see Sanders and he was an amazing running back.

Ultimately, it comes down to Style vs. Substance. Do you like the style of the flashy moves or the occasional 60+ yyd TD run or do you prefer the substance of hard-nosed between-the-tackles power..not to mention picking up a blitz once in a while. I never said he wasn't any good and I did enjoy watching him run. I'm just saying he was a one-dimensional player that undermined his teams ability to execute a gameplan. I can think of 20+ backs i would rather have for the simple reason that I like to win football games. I could care less about highlight montages.

This is by far the dumbest post I have read in a long time.
ok so im supposed to be giving up posting on ES for lent and ive been that one guest number at the top of the screen (watch; im there it says GUESTS:1:silly: ) but i just cant stand this any longer.......

WTFDTCF??? thats my new acronym for where the F did this come from? this i would have to agree is the WORST tailgate post in as many months, too bad it had to be here this is more of a stadium thread, but look at the starter, inexpireninced if we coax him along he will learn, oh yes , he will learn:laugh:

anyway back to being GUEST:1 until sunday:rolleyes:

I actually kind of agree with this.

I would think that a characteristic of someone who truly deserves the title "most overrated" would be that is someone called him the most overrated, you would get a million dismisive responses. Because the term overrated is a description of public opinion. So, if you call something overrated, and the public start's agreeing, "yeah, that's overrated" then he really isn't. Granted, I'm not pretending that proves that he's right, because if you call someone truly great overrated people will react the same.

I heard a stat years ago, that half of barry sander's carries were for negative yards(it might not have been half, but it was very high percentage). He was immensely talented, but his attitude of always looking for the big play(at any cost) made him detrimental to the team as a whole.

So, I totally see where this is coming from.

I'm just saying he was a one-dimensional player that undermined his teams ability to execute a gameplan. I can think of 20+ backs i would rather have for the simple reason that I like to win football games. I could care less about highlight montages.

This is a joke right? Barry Sanders QUIT because the Lions weren't committed to winning. It's been well documented. Barry wanted nothing more to win a championship. You think he wanted to have all the glory on ESPN and other highlight reels? Get real. He quit because he was the only thing going for that team and they weren't doing anything to fix it.

On a side note, mboyd... I admire the courage it must have taken to go public with this theory of yours. You must have balls the size of grapefruits. :)

:laugh: As one of my TAs would say, "That man needs a brassiere to hold up his testicles."

Ultimately, it comes down to Style vs. Substance. Do you like the style of the flashy moves or the occasional 60+ yyd TD run or do you prefer the substance of hard-nosed between-the-tackles power

Er, Ill take both. Flashy moves and tons of yards.

He was 3rd ALL TIME in rushing, and had a 5.0 ypg average for his career.

Emmitt averaged 4.2, Peyton 4.4.

Both Emmitt and Peyton undoubtedly had better o lines.

These are the facts. They are undisputed.

I think so!

He was a terrible blocker!

He rendered his offensive line/Offensive coordinator impotent by refusing to hit the hole and run the play as called!

Consequently, he routinely led the league in plays for negative yardage further hampering his teams ability to maintain drives.

He had terrible hands and was never a factor out of the backfield.

His freelancing style eventually led to him getting benched whenever his team was inside the 10-yard line or in short yardage.

Possessed basically no leadership skills and quit on his team without any real explanation.

Never won anything of note in college or the pros.

Delivered his Hall of Fame acceptance speech with the same passion I exhibit when ordering a Quarter Pounder.

IOW, the guy was a softie that can't hold a candle to the other hard-nosed, multi-dimensional RBs in the hall.

Smith, Payton, Dickerson, Riggins, Simpson, Campbell, etc. all are superior. Hell, give me Earnest Byner and I'll build a better offense.

Sanders? You can have him.

as an athlete he is one of the most talented to ever play, however as a runningback his running style causes big problems for those attempting to block for him. mboyd784 is a former FB he know exactly what he is talking about. you can bash him all you want but he is right. well go ahead bash away repeat the same old sportscaster BS everyone else does.

I actually kind of agree with this.

I would think that a characteristic of someone who truly deserves the title "most overrated" would be that is someone called him the most overrated, you would get a million dismisive responses. Because the term overrated is a description of public opinion. So, if you call something overrated, and the public start's agreeing, "yeah, that's overrated" then he really isn't. Granted, I'm not pretending that proves that he's right, because if you call someone truly great overrated people will react the same.

I heard a stat years ago, that half of barry sander's carries were for negative yards(it might not have been half, but it was very high percentage). He was immensely talented, but his attitude of always looking for the big play(at any cost) made him detrimental to the team as a whole.

So, I totally see where this is coming from.

Using that logic, Michael Jordan is overrated because everyone thinks he's great.

And you're right. He was so detrimental to the Lions that they've sniffed the playoffs so many times since he's retired. :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Ok, for lent I gave up posting comments like this....RETARDED!!!!!!!! Barry Sanders, had he the inclination to continue playing football, probably would've been the greatest running back of all time. Had he been on a good team? I think we all know the answer to that question. Ridiculous thread. But, at least it's original, and didn't involve LA.

lets all remeber bruce smith is the alltime sack leader. have we all forgotten the soft end washington had during the smith years.

Had Barry Sanders been traded to a halfway decent team, he would have played another 3-5 seasons. I was lucky enough to see him run, albiet against my beloved skins. He was an artist of the broken play, since he could rarely rely on his O-Line to make a hole.

Barry carried an entire team on his shoulders and I don't blame him for wanting out. The team and the league let him down. What he accomplished considereing the situation he was in puts him leaps and bounds above Emmit Smith.

Granted, I'm not pretending that proves that he's right, because if you call someone who is truly great, overrated people will react the same.
Using that logic, Michael Jordan is overrated because everyone thinks he's great.

I already noted the weakness of my argument, rendering it unnecessary for anyone to argue against it in that manner.

It's the type of thing where I realize that in order for my statement to actually mean something I had to go a little farther(and I think I did), but still I thought that was a good starting point.

NFL Career Totals:

• Rushing - 3,062 Carries for 15,269 Yards and 99 Touchdowns

• Receiving - 352 Receptions for 2,921 Yards and 10 Tpuchdowns

NFL Highlights:

• 15,269 career rushing yards

• 109 career touchdowns (99 rushing, 10 receiving)

• 76 100-yard rushing games

• 10 consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons (1989-1998)

• Tied NFL record for total 1,000-yard rushing seasons

• NFC Rookie of Year (1989)

• 2-time NFL Player of Year (1991,97)

• 10-time Pro Bowl selection (1989-1998)

• Five-time NFC rushing leader (1989,90,94,96,97)

• Four-time NFL rushing leader (1990,94,96,97)

• Set NFL single-season records for most 100-yard rushing games and most consecutive 100-yard games (14 in 1997)

• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2004)

I remember the year Emmit played the last game of the season just to get the rushing record and Barry sat out the last game because he was in the playoffs, the showed a stat at half time comparing the two backs they said that the average first point of contact per rush with the defence Emmit Smith had that year was 1.25 yards passed the line of scrimmage, Barry Sanders average point of contact with the defense per rush was 1.0 behind the line of scrimmage with all things being equal it was said that Barry sanders would have rushed for 2,300 yards behind Dalla's line and Emmit would have rushed for 950 yards behind Detroits line. Over rated....well Im just going to let the stats and 10 seasons 10 probowl appearances speak for themselves.

Barry Sanders was one of the best RBs in pro football history. I don't think that's much of a stretch.

You're blaming him for some bad playoff stats, or for failing to win playoff games?

SJ9 was arguably the best QB ever -- despite some of the teams he played on.

Now, if we're really talking most overrated ever, my nomination is Deion Sanders.

I can't believe there is serious talk of admitting to the hall of fame a defensive player who wouldn't tackle anybody. When he played for the Cowboys, all I heard from Cowboy fans was "he's the best cover corner ever." Yeah, if you don't count all the times he got burned because he was going for the interception instead of covering his man! And he didn't even huddle up with the defense -- he didn't care what play was called, it was all Deion all the time. Every defensive coordinator knew there was man coverage on Deion's side -- so just send one WR through and send in a trailer, or split the zone on the other side.

Hey, I'm no fan of the Cowboys, but look at this -- when Emmitt Smith had those injuries and he was on the sidelines, what was he doing? He was getting treated and watching the game. He'd even lie on the sidelines with those electrodes hooked to his back and watch the game! Where was Deion when he was "injured?" On the sidelines dressed up like pimp and chatting with MC Hammer or somebody, completely oblivious to the idea that a football game was going on.

So, that's my case for Deion Sanders as most overrated ever.

Barry Sanders was one of the best RBs in pro football history. I don't think that's much of a stretch.

You're blaming him for some bad playoff stats, or for failing to win playoff games?

Now, if we're really talking most overrated ever, my nomination is Deion Sanders.

I can't believe there is serious talk of admitting to the hall of fame a defensive player who wouldn't tackle anybody. When he played for the Cowboys, all I heard from Cowboy fans was "he's the best cover corner ever." Yeah, if you don't count all the times he got burned because he was going for the interception instead of covering his man! And he didn't even huddle up with the defense -- he didn't care what play was called, it was all Deion all the time. Every defensive coordinator knew there was man coverage on Deion's side -- so just send one WR through and send in a trailer, or split the zone on the other side.

Hey, I'm no fan of the Cowboys, but look at this -- when Emmitt Smith had those injuries and he was on the sidelines, what was he doing? He was getting treated and watching the game. He'd even lie on the sidelines with those electrodes hooked to his back and watch the game! Where was Deion when he was "injured?" On the sidelines dressed up like pimp and chatting with MC Hammer or somebody, completely oblivious to the idea that a football game was going on.

Deion was SOOOOOOO overated,...the reason he got all the Hype is because all the cracker sports casters were in awe of how fast he was and how he could dance.....This was John Maddens boy and ESPNs puppet long before Brett Farve, Deion was a HYPE machine. He couldn't tackle, couldn't support the run, couldn't blitz, all he could do was keep up with recievers and occasionally get an interception. I remember Rod Woodson and Daryl Green were in there prime at the time and friends of mine would laugh when I said I would take Woodson or Green over Sanders any day of the week. Green was not affriad to get dirty and Woodson was possibly (along with Lott) one of the most versitile DB's ever to play the game. They would argue back "Prime-time,Prime-time,Prime-time.

Barry Sanders would have shattered the NFL rushing record if he hadn't decided to retire from the game at a relatively young age.

As a football fan, he was a pleasure to watch. His combination of agility and strength for a man of his size was amazing to say the least.

This guy gets it! Yes, The defensive version of Barry Sanders is Deion Sanders. A one-dimensional player capable of the spectacular and not much else. Both basically played by their own rules and did what they wanted on any given play regardless of what was called in the huddle. Where Deion is known as the defensive all-star who couldnt tackle, Barry was the running back who refused to engage in contact of any kind. The two of them constitute the building blocks of the greatest flag football team of all-time. Once again, I never said Barry couldn't play. I just consider him to be vastly overrated because I don't think he was a player you could win with. The reasons for this have been stated earlier in the thread. As far as stats, stats are nice but I judge players based on their performance against the top teams in the big games. By this measure Barry was not a back I would put in my top 20.

This guy gets it! Yes, The defensive version of Barry Sanders is Deion Sanders. A one-dimensional player capable of the spectacular and not much else. Both basically played by their own rules and did what they wanted on any given play regardless of what was called in the huddle. Where Deion is known as the defensive all-star who couldnt tackle, Barry was the running back who refused to engage in contact of any kind. The two of them constitute the building blocks of the greatest flag football team of all-time. Once again, I never said Barry couldn't play. I just consider him to be vastly overrated because I don't think he was a player you could win with. The reasons for this have been stated earlier in the thread. As far as stats, stats are nice but I judge players based on their performance against the top teams in the big games. By this measure Barry was not a back I would put in my top 20.

And what happened when Barry's team found their way into a big game? They ganged up on Barry because he had NO help around him. We saw some of the same things happen last year with Moss or Portis. Problem is, Barry didn't have a Moss or a Cooley taking pressure off of him... Imagine Portis with a poor line, Robert Royal at TE, Thrash and Jacobs at receiver, and Shane Matthews at QB. There's only one guy to stop, and that's what we did in '99 v. the Lions. Barry never had a chance to make the big time in big games, but he made do and had some absolutely spectacular seasons.

Archived