Extremeskins

Skins.com:Teammates Surprised At LaVar's Departure

TK

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15720

Teammates Surprised At LaVar's Departure

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

March 6, 2006

A handful of players filtered into Redskins Park on Monday and most expressed surprise that linebacker LaVar Arrington had decided to part ways with the team.

Arrington had signed a multi-year contract with the Redskins in December 2003, but on Sunday night he reached an agreement with the team that allows him to become a free agent. In doing so, he provides the Redskins with salary cap relief.

Safety Ryan Clark said he talked with Arrington last Saturday. Although Arrington did not disclose his decision to leave the Redskins at that time, Clark felt that he was trying to come to terms about his future with the team.

"I told him, 'LaVar, as a man you have to do what you're comfortable with,'" said Clark, who is an unrestricted free agent this offseason. "Make a decision that you can rest with, no matter what happens either way, and that you can be proud of. I told him, 'You're going to be my friend regardless.'"

_E7T922688823.jpg

Chris Samuels

Left tackle Chris Samuels has played with Arrington for the last six years since the two were drafted by the Redskins in 2000. Arrington was selected with the second overall pick in the first round and Samuels was chosen with the third overall pick.

"It was shocking," Samuels said of Arrington's departure. "I've been looking all throughout the league at different guys being let go--like [Dallas releasing] La'Roi Glover. That shocked me right there. He's one of the best defensive linemen in the league."

Samuels said he hoped to call Arrington at some point this week.

"I'll tell him I enjoyed playing with him and I'll tell him good luck," he said.

Middle linebacker Lemar Marshall has played with Arrington for the last four years. In 2004, it was Marshall who picked up the slack at weak-side linebacker when Arrington was sidelined with a knee injury. Last year, Marshall moved to the middle and played alongside Arrington.

"Any time a player gives back money, that's a shock," Marshall said. "But I wasn't in the room and I don't know the details of it. It was LaVar's decision to make that's part of being a man."

Asked if third-year linebacker Chris Clemons, who occasionally replaced Arrington on third downs last season, could take over the weak-side spot in 2006, Marshall replied: "Whoever steps in, I'm sure they're going to be ready for it. They're going to get the job done and do a good job for us."

Wide receiver David Patten is a nine-year NFL veteran who has played for four teams and won three Super Bowl championships. He was perhaps best able to put Arrington's departure into context.

"Bottom line, with the NFL we can talk it up as a football game, but it's only a football game on Sundays," he said. "Outside of that, it's all business. For whatever reason, LaVar felt like he had to give some money back and that it was in his best interest, as well as the team's best interest.

"We're going to miss him. The one year that I got to know him, he was a good person and a great ballplayer and a team guy. Those types of players--it's hard to replace those guys because you never know what you're going to get. Hopefully, things will work out for him as well as us."

Wide receiver David Patten is a nine-year NFL veteran who has played for four teams and won three Super Bowl championships. He was perhaps best able to put Arrington's departure into context.

"Bottom line, with the NFL we can talk it up as a football game, but it's only a football game on Sundays," he said. "Outside of that, it's all business. For whatever reason, LaVar felt like he had to give some money back and that it was in his best interest, as well as the team's best interest.

"We're going to miss him. The one year that I got to know him, he was a good person and a great ballplayer and a team guy. Those types of players--it's hard to replace those guys because you never know what you're going to get. Hopefully, things will work out for him as well as us."

That is the first time David Patten impressed me...

Why didn't you just quote the Patten quote... instead of the whole article again. Unnecessary and creates to much scrolling.

Please do the community a favor and edit your post.

sorry bout that...

I fixed it for him. Bill's in the mail, just don't try that 'Check's in the mail' story when you get it, or I'm sending Die Hard to your house to collect. :)

Why is it that all of Lavar's teammates seem to like him but all of you fans here want to tell me Lavar is some team cancer concerned only about himself? If theres one person you can't fool its the player. If Lavar were really the concieted person you all say he is wouldn't we be seeing more quotes like Chris Clemons(Ofcourse he's glad he's gone, more playing time!) instead of quotes from Samuels or Patten?

Just seems weird to me that Lavar's teammates would like such a self centered egotistical guy.

Washington Post article on Lavar out at 4pm, I haven't seen it posted anywhere, sorry if I am reposting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601071.htm

Arrington Says Departure Is Best for All

Linebacker LaVar Arrington, one of the most popular Washington Redskins players in recent history, said he believes the agreement he reached with the team Sunday night to leave as a free agent will benefit all parties involved.

Arrington, in his first public comments since agreeing to a contract buyout with the Redskins, said the decision to depart the franchise after successive tumultuous seasons was emotionally trying but practically sound.

Why is it that all of Lavar's teammates seem to like him but all of you fans here want to tell me Lavar is some team cancer concerned only about himself?

I've only read about 400 of the 40,000 Lavar posts today so maybe I missed it. Was there really a lot of fans here calling him a cancer?

I like Lavar. He seems like a nice guy. I just don't think that he is worth the money that he was being paid.

I've only read about 400 of the 40,000 Lavar posts today so maybe I missed it. Was there really a lot of fans here calling him a cancer?

I like Lavar. He seems like a nice guy. I just don't think that he is worth the money that he was being paid.

yeah the way he has been playing lately is not really worth the money he was making, but he is so far from a cancer.

bring back monte coleman to play LB for us. :silly:

He was worth it in the system he was in, but under GW he wasnt a good fit.

Players are players and we are lucky enough to have enough professionals on our team to behave as such. What are they going to say "Lavar was a jerk and I'm glad he's gone?" no they will be classy as expected and wish him luck.

Players are players and we are lucky enough to have enough professionals on our team to behave as such. What are they going to say "Lavar was a jerk and I'm glad he's gone?" no they will be classy as expected and wish him luck.

That is BS and you know it. :doh: If a player did not like another player, you would know it. Of course, they are going to "sweetin" the response so that it sounds better then it really is, but they would still say if he was not a team guy or even a bad guy for that matter. Just like you can tell how TO feels about McNabb and vice versa. This situation would not be any different. :2cents:

Just like you can tell how TO feels about McNabb and vice versa. This situation would not be any different. :2cents:

You can't be serious. The TO-McNabb feud was probably one of the worst ever in sports, causing or at least contributing to a catosrophic melt down on a preenial playoff team. To say that this situation wouldn't be different is completely underestimating that.

Why is it that all of Lavar's teammates seem to like him but all of you fans here want to tell me Lavar is some team cancer concerned only about himself? If theres one person you can't fool its the player. If Lavar were really the concieted person you all say he is wouldn't we be seeing more quotes like Chris Clemons(Ofcourse he's glad he's gone, more playing time!) instead of quotes from Samuels or Patten?

Just seems weird to me that Lavar's teammates would like such a self centered egotistical guy.

Only guys like TO call out other players. Besides, I've seen no one anywhere post that LA was a locker room cancer. He didn't get along with managaement. Simple as that. Now, back on topic.

I think it has been obvious all season that the rift in the the organization is not between the Redskins players and Lavar, but between the Redskins coaching staff and Lavar. He is a great teammate and all the players love him... but we always knew this. It came down to divide with the coaching staff, his incomplete willingness to play within the scheme, along with his bloated salary.

Archived