Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is the guy some of you want gone (Brunell quotes from Skins.com)???

DCsportsfan53

Redskins.com

Earlier this week, Mark Brunell agreed to terms on a restructured contract, pending an extension of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The veteran quarterback is hopeful that it starts a trend among his teammates.

Said Brunell: "A lot of guys have to step up, particularly guys who are making a considerable amount of money. We have to keep this team together."

The 13-year NFL veteran continued: "It goes back to what's important, the team is what's important. If I don't restructure, then that may cost a couple of other guys from not being able to be re-signed.

"All the guys who have been around, I know, feel the same way. You're helping the football when you restructure. There are a lot of different ways to do it, different approaches. I think we'll get there.

"Nowadays, with free agency, it's not easy to keep a team together. But that's what we need to do--keep our core guys. I've never been on a team with as much character and chemistry."

I know this won't change anyone's mind but, especially after things like this, it really baffles me that so many people still love to hate on Brunell and want to see him gone. :whoknows: What a classy guy and a true leader.

I don't think many doubt his classyness, just maybe his passing arm.
And even then let's be objective. In this case at least, I don't think the numbers lie - 23TD, 10INT, 3000YDS. Not bad. I think the end of the season is what people remember and let's not forget two things: he hurt his knee and David Patten and then even Thrash were out. We had Jacobs and Farris out there as number 2s!

No doubt that he's a good man, and a great leader for the team.

But if he starts next year like he ended this year, it will be time for him to look into a job as a position coach for the team. You've got to keep in mind that the vast majority of complaints about him have been about his performance, not about his personality. I don't think anybody has ever accused him of being a dirtbag based on attitude.

No doubt that he's a good man, and a great leader for the team.

But if he starts next year like he ended this year, it will be time for him to look into a job as a position coach for the team. You've got to keep in mind that the vast majority of complaints about him have been about his performance, not about his personality. I don't think anybody has ever accused him of being a dirtbag based on attitude.

This post was admittedly aimed at a select few unflappable bashers, not the community as a whole.

I think he'll be fine. Believe me, I thought he was done for good after 04 (he had come off elbow surgery that ended his 03 season, though) but when I saw him in preseason I knew he wasn't. I just saw in preseason that he was moving faster and throwing the ball A LOT harder than 04. I remember saying to one of my friends that I hoped Brunell somehow got in the game early in the regular season because to me, if his arm strength/athleticism is back to normal there's no question that he's the smarter QB and the better leader. I know he looked bad at the end of the season and part of it was his injury but I wonder if he would've looked THAT bad had Patten, Thrash and Randy Thomas not gone down. We had the excellent luck of having most all of our injuries last year occur at the 3 positions with the least depth on the team (CB, WR, O-line). That has to be taken into consideration when evaluating his late season performance.

his arm strength? i think not....just look at the miracle in week 2.

oh his touch passing? not sure about that.....his many interceptions?? nope....whats your point?? what did he do wrong last year?

Don't you remember, Brunell and the evil coach Gibbs conspired against giving Ramsey his fair shot. It was a set up. Gibbs' ego wouldn't allow him to try and win with a real QB, he had to do it with a has been with no arm to enhance his coaching legacy (the sad, sad, sad part is, I've actually seen this idea posted seriously before). Obviously, we would've gone 19-0 had Gibbs' ego and Mark Brunell's backstabbing not screwed Ramsey out of his job :rolleyes: .

As said before, we dont doubt his character, just his ability to throw the ball more than 15 yards. Numbers do lie, all they are is numbers. In the last half of the season Brunel being an average QB would have been preferable. If you would take note of all the yardage at the end of the year, even though he didnt get much, it all came on two things... screens to cooley and moss where they did all the work, and bombs to Moss where Moss made incredible catches. Thats most of his yardage in the last 6-7 games. Stuff any QB in the world could do.

The man has a lot of character, but not much in the arm department.

Not in any way should this be construed as a knock against Patrick, because he's been an awesome team member the last few years, and has NEVER been an "ego problem," but those comments by Mark show a lot of the reasons why Gibbs has placed him in such high regard.

Somehow I hope that we could keep both Brunell and Patrick and give Jason a little more time before he steps up, but I know that Patrick wants to be a starter, and I just don't see that happening. At least not until Mark shows that he's lost "something" and I don't see that happening for a while. Thus I'm afraid that we will be dealing Patrick. Still, Brunell showed that he's still got something in the tank, and he's got the team in the right spot .. up front, ahead of himself.

As said before, we dont doubt his character, just his ability to throw the ball more than 15 yards. Numbers do lie, all they are is numbers. In the last half of the season Brunel being an average QB would have been preferable. If you would take note of all the yardage at the end of the year, even though he didnt get much, it all came on two things... screens to cooley and moss where they did all the work, and bombs to Moss where Moss made incredible catches. Thats most of his yardage in the last 6-7 games. Stuff any QB in the world could do.

Season stats would prove different. Brunel(l) still has a lot of arm strength. You also have to remember that he was a little banged up at the end of the regular season and the playoffs too.

I must presume your not a real Skins fan....because how can you forget the Dallas game in week two?

Pretty big throws if you ask me....at least he didnt overthrow open recievers every game....

BOMBS TO MOSS. that first td was not a bad throw...nor the one against Philly that was down the sideline...

I dont believe for one minute that it was all Moss. How narrow minded can you be...:doh:

Since the Quarterback is bassicaly the heart of the offense, everyone is pretty much pointing the finger at him because of our loss in the playoffs.

Not the fact our OL was out,portis' shoulder was hurt, taking away our running game, Brunell didnt have any time in the pocket either.

We bassicaly had 1 Wide receiver.

Its kind of hard to win when your team becomes one dimensional.

(See Panthers getting killed when they had 4th string RB)

Uhhh, it's good for him to do it because if he was cut he wouldn't get anywhere that on the open market. Especially since there are several QB's that will be available and an older QB on the decline would not it to the top of any team's list. So, it sounds all good that he's helping out the team, but e helped himself out because he made sure that he would not get cut now.

Bro,

Patten was HURT for the last half of the season which left him Jacobs and Thrash (and at one point Farris as the number 2), who don't exactly strike fear in the heart of defenses. Moss was being swamped. And let's not forget Brunell's age (he wore down somewhat) and injury. Not to mention Portis being hurt late in the year which put even more pressure on Brunell and Moss.

I think there is a tendency here that if a player has a flaw or two that they picked out, that they aren't up to snuff and should be replaced. (Like Die Hard's critisizm of Jon Jansen.) Problem is, often what a player does well is ignored, mainly because people don't notice until the player is gone.

Brunell certainly can still play in this league, and if there was any justice in Pro Bowl voting, he should have been in over Vick. No, he's not Payton Manning, but at the same time, he's not Gus Ferrotte either.

Jason

Redskins.com

Earlier this week, Mark Brunell agreed to terms on a restructured contract, pending an extension of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The veteran quarterback is hopeful that it starts a trend among his teammates.

Said Brunell: "A lot of guys have to step up, particularly guys who are making a considerable amount of money. We have to keep this team together."

The 13-year NFL veteran continued: "It goes back to what's important, the team is what's important. If I don't restructure, then that may cost a couple of other guys from not being able to be re-signed.

"All the guys who have been around, I know, feel the same way. You're helping the football when you restructure. There are a lot of different ways to do it, different approaches. I think we'll get there.

"Nowadays, with free agency, it's not easy to keep a team together. But that's what we need to do--keep our core guys. I've never been on a team with as much character and chemistry."

I know this won't change anyone's mind but, especially after things like this, it really baffles me that so many people still love to hate on Brunell and want to see him gone. :whoknows: What a classy guy and a true leader.

I, being a titanic critic of Mark have ALWAYS made (or at least tried to) clear to acknowledge his guts and his leadership AND to praise his better and even great efforts. He NEVER quits. He is a tough SOB.

I will also take this opportunity to acknowledge that these charcteristics are probably the sum total of why Gibbs loves the guy.

Lastly, every single snap, all year, I pulled for Mark as hard as a fan can, all the way to the last play of the Seattle game.

Being in house, among fellow fans is the place, to me, to be a critical fan and argue that maybe this guy or that should be playing but once the coin is in the air, Mark is my guy, 100%. You can aks a whole bunch of sad sack Cowboy fans who I lost my voice screaming in support of. At my age and with the history we have with Dallas, I proudly tell you I shed a few tears of absolute joy that afternoon. Mark was a huge part of that. I can feel it again right now!

Questioning his skill level is not questioning his character. When I first heard that he was reluctant to re-structure his contract (AGAIN) I said 'bull****' to myself because that doesn't even sound like Mark Brunell. Mark, was and is a top drawer player (except maybe some declining skill) and person in everything we hear and read.

When I heard he had pitched in I said...that's the Mark I know.

I, being a titanic critic of Mark have ALWAYS made (or at least tried to) clear to acknowledge his guts and his leadership AND to praise his better and even great efforts. He NEVER quits. He is a tough SOB.

I will also take this opportunity to acknowledge that these charcteristics are probably the sum total of why Gibbs loves the guy.

Lastly, every single snap, all year, I pulled for Mark as hard as a fan can, all the way to the last play of the Seattle game.

Being in house, among fellow fans is the place, to me, to be a critical fan and argue that maybe this guy or that should be playing but once the coin is in the air, Mark is my guy, 100%. You can aks a whole bunch of sad sack Cowboy fans who I lost my voice screaming in support of. At my age and with the history we have with Dallas, I proudly tell you I shed a few tears of absolute joy that afternoon. Mark was a huge part of that. I can feel it again right now!

Questioning his skill level is not questioning his character. When I first heard that he was reluctant to re-structure his contract (AGAIN) I said 'bull****' to myself because that doesn't even sound like Mark Brunell. Mark, was and is a top drawer player (except maybe some declining skill) and person in everything we hear and read.

I disagree with your position on Mark, but well said. :applause:

I think it's great Brunell restructured. He certainly seems to act the part of a team leader and I won't question his toughness.

But.

All that doesn't change my opinion that Mark Brunell at age 35 isn't going to get better. I could be wrong (and I was dead wrong about Brunell after 2004 in which I thought the man simply could not play anymore) but I just don't believe he can play 16 games + postseason and play at a high level.

Hey, if he's under center again this season, I won't boo him and I'll be cheering that things go well. But if I had my choice, JC gets a fair shot in training camp and beats Brunell out. I just don't see what's wrong with feeling that way.

It goes back to what I've been saying since the season started. Brunell brings intangibles that Ramsey doesn't have. Veteran leadership and experience, and showing the way by example. He hit the nail right on the head when talking about keeping the team together and the importance of chemistry. That, folks, is not only a good player but a great man and one who needs to be in this locker room no matter what.

Thank you, Mr. Brunell, and God bless you.

Obviously, I disagree with your feelings on Mark but that was a very well put, respectable post. I think some people confused my original post a little bit. I wasn't implying that the people who want him gone think he's an *** or not tough, I just thought that this was all the more reason why the idea of getting rid of him is ridiculous. Also, (not saying you were one) but some people were calling for Brunell's head before this and even louder when the initial reports came out that he didn't want to restructure. I understand if you feel like Brunell is too fragile or his skills are too diminished to lead us anymore and although I would argue the opposite (and I would think last year would support that) I have no problem with that stance. What bugs me is the few posters who seem to hate this guy excessively and for no reason (like the post earlier this week suggesting that we cut him, despite the increased cap number, so that we could go through a CBAless 06 with Campbell. It quickly became apparent that this had nothing to do with anything other than an unreasonable dislike for Brunell). As you said, being among fans, it's the perfect place to discuss why we disagree on who should be starting at QB. I'm gald to see this thread brought out a lot of the rational dissenters who usually get drowned out by the hate mongers. :cheers:

Archived