Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is the guy some of you want gone (Brunell quotes from Skins.com)???

DCsportsfan53

DC....

Great post and I'd like to add that the 'haters' probably aren't as serious as some posts might read. Loving a pro sports team that none (most all of us?) of us have a damn thing to do with in terms of livelyhood is, obviously, a labor of love, a passion and not the most rational thing in the world to do with ones free time.

I'm trying to find a way to back up what you and Jumbo (in another thread) said; We're ALL Redskins fans and, just by being in here, prove we put alot of time and heart into being a Skins fan.

Passions breeds reactions. I'm sure I'm guilty of crossing the line as regards Mark and, if he ever reads this stuff, I apologize. I would still say my piece about Ramsey and I would still have my opinions on Mark. But Mark, you cut it with Joe, I'll hold you to it all week to keep earning in. Come Sunday, go baby! Go!

So, I'd say guys who 'hate' Brunell were on there feet with me and everyone else who was there for 60 minutes the Dallas Cowboys and we fans will NEVER forget. They'll be there every snap Mark takes as a Skin this coming year. They'll complain to high heaven, like me, if he is not playing well. We'll discuss wouldas, couldas and shouldas and damn it all, if Mark leads this team all the way, he'll take his place along side Riggo, Joe T, Grimm, Doug, Ryp, Gary, Art, Darrell, Billy, Sonny and all the rest as legendary Washington Redskins.

As it is, he's already, in my mind, more Redskin than Jaguar so, one and all, take a moment and get in a little early training camp work with me here...

One anna two...

Hail to the Redskins! Hail Vic-tor-y! Braves on the Warpath! Fight for old DC!!

Run or pass and score, we want a lot more! Beat 'em, Swamp 'em, Touchdown! let the points soar! Fight on, fight on 'til you have won Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins! Hail Vic-tor-y! Braves on the Warpath! Fight for old D.C.!

Hanky, please.

Redskins.com

Earlier this week, Mark Brunell agreed to terms on a restructured contract, pending an extension of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The veteran quarterback is hopeful that it starts a trend among his teammates.

Said Brunell: "A lot of guys have to step up, particularly guys who are making a considerable amount of money. We have to keep this team together."

The 13-year NFL veteran continued: "It goes back to what's important, the team is what's important. If I don't restructure, then that may cost a couple of other guys from not being able to be re-signed.

"All the guys who have been around, I know, feel the same way. You're helping the football when you restructure. There are a lot of different ways to do it, different approaches. I think we'll get there.

"Nowadays, with free agency, it's not easy to keep a team together. But that's what we need to do--keep our core guys. I've never been on a team with as much character and chemistry."

I know this won't change anyone's mind but, especially after things like this, it really baffles me that so many people still love to hate on Brunell and want to see him gone. :whoknows: What a classy guy and a true leader.

:applause:

:cheers: Thanks great post!

Exactly, whoever he picks to start, hopefully Campbell in my opinion though, will be the right decision

Yeah, but Coach Gibbs is kind of hooked on Mark at least for this year. You know he hand picked Mark. But the best thing is that we have a high margin of error at the QB position.

Larry, beautiful post, the hanky's being pulled over here, too! I guess what it comes down to is, I feel like Mark gave us some of the greatest and most satisfying wins we've ever had this season and when you add that with his character and attitude, I feel like the low points are very excusable. After all, every player makes their share of mistakes and bad plays and that's never more visivble to the public than at the QB position. In fact, QBs often get automatic blame when it very well could've been a blown assignment by another offensive player. It's not like Mark Rypien was the most loved guy in the world before 91. My point is, what was different about the 91 year that made Rip that succesful? My feeling is that it had a lot more to do with the play of the team around him (depth, injuries and all that stuff fell our way that year) than with Rip himself and I feel the same way about Brunell. I think that with the right combination of players and luck there's no doubt that Mark is capable of leading us to a Super Bowl. That's obviously a point up for debate but I feel like Mark should've earned a pass from the fans with his play this season and some people still hold 04 against him.

Injuries, however, are a legitimate concern with MB but that's the case with any player. Afterall, it's not like Ramsey hasn't missed his share of games, too. Ok, ok, sorry, I know that's bs, that was all on Spurrier :D . But seriously, I'm one that believes that if he is healthy Mark's an excellent QB. We know he has the smarts and the guts and I believe he proved this season that his arm has returned to form (after elbow surgery in the offseason before 04. Nobody seems to remember this when analyzing his performance). I think anybody who still questions his arm strength need only turn on tape of this year's games to see that concern is unfounded. I guess the main difference between me and you is that I have a higher degree of faith that Brunell can make it through a season healthy (an o-line that was really starting to get there in 05 and should only be better this year would certainly go along way towards achieving that). Do we agree that Mark's a plenty capable QB IF (and I understand that's a big if) he's able to stay healthy?

I think it's great Brunell restructured. He certainly seems to act the part of a team leader and I won't question his toughness.

But.

All that doesn't change my opinion that Mark Brunell at age 35 isn't going to get better. I could be wrong (and I was dead wrong about Brunell after 2004 in which I thought the man simply could not play anymore) but I just don't believe he can play 16 games + postseason and play at a high level.

Hey, if he's under center again this season, I won't boo him and I'll be cheering that things go well. But if I had my choice, JC gets a fair shot in training camp and beats Brunell out. I just don't see what's wrong with feeling that way.

I agree that Mark himself is not going to get better but if the team around him gets better will that not elevate his play? We had a pretty low sack count this year (31) but if that number can even come close to matching 91 (11 sacks all year including playoffs and super bowl) then I think Mark has a good chance of being healthy all year.

I'm 100% with you on a open competition. I thought it was a mistake to declare PR the starter at the end of 04 and in the end that decision led to a lot of the hard feelings towards Mark despite the fact he clearly outplayed PR all offseason. My feeling is there should always be an open competition and if JC wins that, I'll be ecstatic. Either way, Gibbs will choose the best guy for the job and it's win win either way. If MB plays, he's obviously still got some left, if JC plays then that's great, too, because it means the future of our franchise is developing even faster/better than we hoped or expected. Basically, Gibbs is making the decision so we're good either way. I love our QB situation.

Archived