Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One year of hell, many years of superbowls

D'Pablo

Ultimately, if a revenue sharing plan doesn't get done this year, all those smaller market teams eventually won't be able to compete. The Redskins will dominate for years to come. While it sucks to lose a year to this, at least we get to develop some rookie talent.

I think we'll be fine, we have a hard working team. The core players will still be in DC and their work ethic will rub off on players, especially if they want to stick around in an uncapped year. Gibbs said they have a plan for every scenario and I trust that.

That might be the case but an the league as a whole will suffer it it goes that route. I'd like the Skins to win numerous Super Bowls but it would ruin the product that has made the league so popular.

Part of me definately agrees with that, but when you look at the league now you still teams that are just terrible (cards, lions, 49ers, etc.) even with the salary cap restrictions.

I love baseball but I barely watch MLB any longer because the competitive balance in the sport is so screwy. I like the NFL because a team as screwed up as the Lions could - in theory - be a Super Bowl team in two years.

Any Given Sunday

I love baseball but I barely watch MLB any longer because the competitive balance in the sport is so screwy. I like the NFL because a team as screwed up as the Lions could - in theory - be a Super Bowl team in two years.

So, what did you think of the NFL before 1993?

That's what I don't understand...the people who are for the salary cap and parity must have hated the NFL while it was in its glory days back in the 1980s...

I would not mind returning to that type of league. It's more of a capitalist concept. If you have the means, you can own and spend money on your team. As Mortensen pointed out in his chat, the most dominant dynasties ever came from Green Bay (granted very early) and Pittsburgh...both small market teams.

This is BS,

When was the last time the NFL wasn't popular?

Baseball is too long and just like basketball has prissy prima donnas masquerading as pro players.

Hockey cant get better ratings than Bassmasters.

Funny but I believe the NFL was very popular in the 80's with the pokes, 9ers, midgets and Redskins dominating.

Ultimately' date=' if a revenue sharing plan doesn't get done this year, all those smaller market teams eventually won't be able to compete. The Redskins will dominate for years to come. While it sucks to lose a year to this, at least we get to develop some rookie talent.[/quote']

You make it seem like Lil Danny will buy up every free agent in the NFL and thus make you successful. 2 problems with that theory though

1. He's done a pretty good job at doing that for the last 5 years and it hasn't gotten him anywhere

2. There are several other owners with just as much money as Lil Danny who don't mind writing checks either. Al Davis, Pat Bowlen, Jerry Jones, etc etc.

Don't think Danny can outspend any of those people cause he can't.

Granted I'm a cowboys fan, but even if I wasn't, I'd be worried about Jerry Jones more so than Lil Danny. Jerry has proved all through the 90's before the cap that he doesn't mind writing checks. Lil Danny hasn't proved that yet because he wasn't around before free agency.

The other guy I'd be real worried about is the Seattle Owner, Paul Allen. You could take Jerry Jones's money, and Lil Dannys money, along with about 20 other owners together and not match his bank account. That dude has money you and I can't even begin to fathom.

The difference is, we have Joe Gibbs AND Danny's wallet.

Danny wasn't successful trying to buy up every big name player but dont think for a second that it won't be a different story with Gibbs at the helm.

Gibbs is a fine coach, but he's always had talent. The supebowl teams you guys had was chocked full of talent. Its always been a mystery to me why you didn't have more HOFers from those teams, especially the offensive lines you guys had, but thats a different story. The point is, if you have talent on the team, the coach should win.

Look at Jimmy Johnson with the cowboys, he was surrounded by talent. Was it his coaching? Probably not. It was the talent. When he went to Miami he stunk.

Gibbs is no different than any other coach. You got talent, you win, you don't , you lose.

You make it seem like Lil Danny will buy up every free agent in the NFL and thus make you successful. 2 problems with that theory though

1. He's done a pretty good job at doing that for the last 5 years and it hasn't gotten him anywhere

2. There are several other owners with just as much money as Lil Danny who don't mind writing checks either. Al Davis, Pat Bowlen, Jerry Jones, etc etc.

Don't think Danny can outspend any of those people cause he can't.

Granted I'm a cowboys fan, but even if I wasn't, I'd be worried about Jerry Jones more so than Lil Danny. Jerry has proved all through the 90's before the cap that he doesn't mind writing checks. Lil Danny hasn't proved that yet because he wasn't around before free agency.

The other guy I'd be real worried about is the Seattle Owner, Paul Allen. You could take Jerry Jones's money, and Lil Dannys money, along with about 20 other owners together and not match his bank account. That dude has money you and I can't even begin to fathom.

Yea, but which team generates the highest revenue?

When do you thing the salary cap was first implemented?

When there was no salary cap previously, Joe Gibbs STILL didn't really have any superstars, rather used Mr Cooke's money to secure quality veteran depth. - That is what I think we would see if this happens again.

The question is, how long will Gibbs stick around? He's here for at least 3 more years. If the Skins can't win it before then, will he come back or ride off into the sunset for a 2nd time?

:doh:

You are a clown

Lets see, the most popular team in the NFL. More fans than any other team out there which in turn buys more merchandise, more TV dollars cause more people want to see them either because they love them or hate them, than any other team.

If you want to throw a NY team in there as well fine. But if you say the redskins your nuts. Outside of the Maryland/Virginia area, nobody cares about that team. And if nobody cares, there's not as much money.

So, what did you think of the NFL before 1993?

That's what I don't understand...the people who are for the salary cap and parity must have hated the NFL while it was in its glory days back in the 1980s...

I would not mind returning to that type of league. It's more of a capitalist concept. If you have the means, you can own and spend money on your team. As Mortensen pointed out in his chat, the most dominant dynasties ever came from Green Bay (granted very early) and Pittsburgh...both small market teams.

If you eliminate free agency, I am all in favor of going back to the 1970s and 1980s.

It's not like Jack Lambert, Tony Dorsett, and Joe Montana became unrestricted free agents after 4 years.

In a free agency era, however, you need some sort of downward pressure on salaries or you end up with the mess Major League Baseball has.

Archived