Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot to Play Nickel

Donita35

Fact is Smoot has always been a #2 CB, behind Champ then Shawn, and has never played at an elite #1 CB level. Minny gave him a big pay day to be there #1 CB, we offered a similar, although smaller contract, to be our #2 and out of respect for his service to the team.

Gibbs and Co. were prepared to let him go knowing that there was talent in the draft to potentially upgrade the #2 spot with a potential #1 guy. Smoot made the wrong choice, we made the right one, and Freddy has been exposed as an avg. CB that needs to be a #2 CB but that is Minny's problem now.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Fact is Smoot has always been a #2 CB, behind Champ then Shawn, and has never played at an elite #1 CB level. Minny gave him a big pay day to be there #1 CB, we offered a similar, although smaller contract, to be our #2 and out of respect for his service to the team.

Gibbs and Co. were prepared to let him go knowing that there was talent in the draft to potentially upgrade the #2 spot with a potential #1 guy. Smoot made the wrong choice, we made the right one, and Freddy has been exposed as an avg. CB that needs to be a #2 CB but that is Minny's problem now.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I believe they call this "Alvin Harper syndrome" or is it "Peerless Price syndrome" not sure but it must be contagious for Defensive Free agents as well. "Dana Stubblefield syndrome" hmmmmmmmmm.

Give me a break please. "Fred Smoot Sucks"? I wasn't aware that you were a talent scout. How do you find time to post on this board when you are so busy grading players? See the thing is, NFL teams have staffs that research players and determine if a player "sucks." They don't just see a name (and Smoot's name wasn't that big by the way) and say that is who I want to throw 30 million at. Smoot was a highly coveted FA. Why might you ask? Because he is a pretty good player, at an extremely difficult position nonetheless.

Now the real question is, was he over-rated particularly by Redskin fans? Absolutely. We had just seen Champ walk and we told ourselves that its ok beause Smoot was gonna fill those shoes. He couldn't, but he was still solid.

More importantly we must ask ourselves if Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers is better than Fred Smoot and whomever else we would have drafted at Rogers' spot (it could have been Merriman, it could have been Mike Williams). Iam very happy having Rogers here and I am not too dissapointed to see Smoot gone, I don't think he was the right type of CB for our D.

But lets be honest here guys, TIVOing a game and watching it twice doesn't all of a sudden make you a GM or a talent scout. Fred Smoot does not suck, he is also not nearly as good at playing football as he likes to say he is.

No- not a talent scout. But, hold me to this...

At any moment in my life I consider myself an EXPERT at two things; 1)The particular topic I am studying at the moment 2) Defensive back play. Further, there were times in my life where I wasn't studying.

Take that for what it's worth to you. Fred Smoot is indeed not as good as he thinks he is. But, he's not as good as he's getting paid either. Does that make him suck, ahhh probably not. Is he a world class athlete, yes. DOES HE SUCK- YES!

I think Smoot can cover. He has very good closing speed and can cut well. What he cannot do is tackle worth a damn and this is why I believe we did not strive harder to keep him here.

Edit -

Let me add that Smoot earned my respect when he played through that solar-plexis injury for almost an entire year. He spent almost the entire year sleeping in a lazy-boy because the injury (which he knew would not heal while he continued to play) was so painful he could not lie down at night. The WP said that the day after the games was excrutiating, yet he played the entire season, and played very well.

The man talks smack but has a lot of heart.

I like him.

Hey i know its fun to bash smoot but he did what he had to do, he woulda been a cap casualty here so he went for the dough, and everyone on this board can bash him or whatever but how can you not say you woulda done it, our cap is almost done now, he woulda been cut and signed for cheaper than what hes makin, remember this is a business, i think his loyalty still lies here and given the chance he would come back but its not gona happen, i wish him the best, and all of u bashin his play here get outa here, he played his guts out more than u know

Smoot is not as good in Minny as he was here. Period! That is not saying that he doesn't have the same abilities, but the system and his role is just different. That is a fact. The problem is he took the payday (which no one can really truly be mad at him for that) :doh: and he is not going to have the career he could have had here. It goes back to that old saying, Money talks and bull crap walks! :2cents:

I don't blame Smoot for what he did because that is the mentality of todays players. He got a little bit of a better offer from Minn. and it looked like they were going to take the division and make a run for the Super Bowl while we were rebuilding. A lot of todays players (and most people) want gratification now.

What I find interesting is that during Joe Gibbs first tenure here, when we dominated the NFC, the players that were cut or left for greener pastures, saw thier carees go down hill really quick. With the new ownership and the next few coaches, the players that left our team found a new life in the NFL. Some went to Super Bowls and some went to the Pro Bowl. Now we have Joe Gibbs back and I see that the players that are being cut or looking for that instant gratification, are seeing thier careers on the downside (exception = Champ Bailey = but still no Super Bowl) when they go to what they think is the better deal. I see history repeating itself here. With Joe Gibbs at the helm, the Redskins will begin to dominate the NFC. You'll see our turn over ratio decline and players that leave us, looking for that instant high, will see thier careers faulter before them. Joe Gibbs does not let good team players leave. Simple as that.

He didn't leave for the money, he left to get away from Sean "Friendly Fire" Taylor.

Yeah those badgering sessions, after not so good games by Fred, coming from Sean must have been painful. Yeah but Sean pulled up on me in his Range Rover (maxed out), after a game I think it was San Fran, just to say hi. And I like stayed by the fence and just waved and said hi Sean :laugh: Yeah I don't think nobody wants to F^&*% with Sean. He can really have your medicare go up--if you're lucky. And I aint talking about pistols either. Fred for Walt nah, I'll pass on that one. Garnell Wilds for Walt that's different.

fact of the matter is Fred Smoot was a poor tackler for the Washington Redskins. He made some tackles but the tackles or the plays you would expect him to make he never did. EVER!.. He would brace himself 4 tackles.. it was only a matter of time b4 he was not a Redskin.. Smoot is aigh.. and just that.. a great athlete with good speed and cover skills.. When it comes 2 wrap up tackling, run support, blitzing.. Fred is not the guy.. When Greg used 2 send him on the blitz Fred would be there and seemed afraid 2 lay the wood 2 the QB.. jus my observations.. need players with a killer instinct

Im probably gonna get killed by everyone on this one, but I always thought smoot was bad. He seemed like he would always be right there with a WR but then the WR would still make the catch. And although he showed some guts while playing hurt, he still did get hurt, and it seemed he got hurt pretty easily. I was happy when he left because I knew he wasnt worth the money, and I would much rather have carlos playing who can actually ring someones bell. Letting him go was another good move by Gibbs and co.
I have to agree. It seemed he either got the int. or got burned for a td.:logo:

Archived