Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who boasts the most posts?

PleaseBlitz

IMHO, anybody over 15 points per day needs to go find some real friends or a sports bar. Way way back in the day it was different where people would post back and forth in conversation and debate. No excuse for 30 posts per day now. Nobody care about what any one person has to say 30 times per day.

Or maybe you need to learn to type faster, or be able to follow more than one conversation at once. Or maybe, just maybe, you should get off your high-horse.

You don't know two ****s about most of the posters on this board and implying that some of them need to "find real friends" is rude at best and being a complete and total ******* at worst. I'm over 18 posts per day and completely happy with that as well as with how many "real friends" I have. :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of this "back in the good old days" crap. Yeah, you know why no one had over 10 posts a day?? Because there were 200 members, so not that many threads. Now there are 50,000 members, and the number of interesting threads has increased as well. Also, with more members, there are more people responding to what you post, hence more replies. I'm so sorry if it bothers you that I'm able to respond to multiple posts in a short time.

So maybe instead of snide comments you could maybe just live and let live, okay? I'm pretty sure most of the prolific posters on this board don't need your advice.

:rant:

Or maybe you need to learn to type faster, or be able to follow more than one conversation at once. Or maybe, just maybe, you should get off your high-horse.

You don't know two ****s about most of the posters on this board and implying that some of them need to "find real friends" is rude at best and being a complete and total ******* at worst. I'm over 18 posts per day and completely happy with that as well as with how many "real friends" I have. :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of this "back in the good old days" crap. Yeah, you know why no one had over 10 posts a day?? Because there were 200 members, so not that many threads. Now there are 50,000 members, and the number of interesting threads has increased as well. Also, with more members, there are more people responding to what you post, hence more replies. I'm so sorry if it bothers you that I'm able to respond to multiple posts in a short time.

So maybe instead of snide comments you could maybe just live and let live, okay? I'm pretty sure most of the prolific posters on this board don't need your advice.

Damn. Did you find more hair in your tub today? :doh:

What have you done with the real JRock? :D

I stand by my comments (and I can type really fast).

People who post more than 15 times per day tend to post stuff like "You got owned" or "lol, true" or "I agree".

I'm not giving you advice, I am stating my opinion. If you don't like it, that is your choice. One thing is for sure, I am not going to spout my opinion on this subject 18 more times today. Good day to you.

I stand by my comments (and I can type really fast).

People who post more than 15 times per day tend to post stuff like "You got owned" or "lol, true" or "I agree".

I'm not giving you advice, I am stating my opinion. If you don't like it, that is your choice. One thing is for sure, I am not going to spout my opinion on this subject 18 more times today. Good day to you.

I actually kind of agree with Beaudry. There's no way one can average over 15 posts a day on an monthly basis and add substantive discussion in each post. It's just not possible if you are working full time. That doesn't mean that people can't have short or sustained periods where they are posting over the 15 ppd hurdle...

But the point remains, that without the Redskins Game Threads (which have totally devolved from discussion into basically a long spam thread with some exception), the Association (Word, Band, Song Name, etc), the Tailgate game threads where you are only required to post a few words (collectively, "Spammish Threads"), many of the people that are at the over 15 posts a day plateau wouldn't be there...myself included.

The questions that comes from this isn't really whether it's good or bad to have over 15 posts a day. Ultimately, that doesn't really matter as much as the substantive effects of having all of these Spammish Threads and how that affects the rest of the conversation on the Board.

If all the spammy type replies (and I'm not trying to place a value judgment here, per se) were segregated into the Spammish Threads, then no problem. But the problem is that they are not--and that doesn't mean that the posters that are involved in the Spammish Threads are necessarily to blame (btw, this isn't about blame, it's about moving the Board back to more substantive discussion)--and that means that in other threads where there could be meaningful conversation, there's a lot of spammish replies and unnecesary repitition. There isn't the same density as there once was--and that strikes me as an issue.

Density of intelligent thought (and that doesn't mean that brevity doesn't have its place) is what makes this Board great.

I think we need to start to make a move back in the direction of this intelligent density.

:2cents:

What iheart said.....

I dunno. I think the game threads add some levity to this board and are valuable. If it werent for them, half of the threads on this board would be political in nature, which usually devolve into "am too, are not" discussions. I know for a fact that a good % of the members active in the tailgate avoid these threads like the plague.

A lot of members enjoy the game threads, myself included, (and JRock especially) and they make it easy to accumulate posts quickly. The nature of the thread dictates short posts, and their brevity does NOT mean that they arent adding value to the thread.

Just because your posts dont consist of 1 page disertations doesnt mean you arent adding to the discussion. Not all thread lend themselves to this.

Once, I posted 60 times in one night over a 4 hour period in 1 thread (and i was drunk at the time). Sometimes threads require short posts. Such as this thread. Saying your posts are more valuable simply due to length is inaccurate. Plus, everyone feels good if someones gives them a :laugh: every now and again.

PS: Long post notwithstanding, can we get this thread back on track?

I dunno. I think the game threads add some levity to this board and are valuable. If it werent for them, half of the threads on this board would be political in nature, which usually devolve into "am too, are not" discussions. I know for a fact that a good % of the members active in the tailgate avoid these threads like the plague.

Levity is fine, but when 10-20-30 people post the same thing, "SACK" or something comprable, or even after a bad play, 10 people post "Gibbs Sucks" or "Brunell Sucks," I just don't think that really adds anything except to people's post counts. And I'm not saying that I haven't engaged in this kind of thing--I'm just as guilty as anyone.

A lot of members enjoy the game threads, myself included, (and JRock especially) and they make it easy to accumulate posts quickly. The nature of the thread dictates short posts, and their brevity does NOT mean that they arent adding value to the thread.

How do you think they are adding value? Honest question and not intended in any way to be adversarial.

Just because your posts dont consist of 1 page disertations doesnt mean you arent adding to the discussion. Not all thread lend themselves to this.

Agreed. That's why I wrote the last couple lines above, "Density of intelligent thought (and that doesn't mean that brevity doesn't have its place) is what makes this Board great."

Once, I posted 60 times in one night over a 4 hour period in 1 thread (and i was drunk at the time). Sometimes threads require short posts. Such as this thread. Saying your posts are more valuable simply due to length is inaccurate. Plus, everyone feels good if someones gives them a :laugh: every now and again.

Again, agreed. And that's why I wrote above that "That doesn't mean that people can't have short or sustained periods where they are posting over the 15 ppd hurdle..." Some of the funniest things I've ever read on this Board have been one liners. There's nothing wrong with a one-liner implicitly--it's just that many of the people that only post short brief posts (and I'm not talking about the people in this thread) only post short meaningless posts that add nothing and again there's isn't anything "wrong" with this as much as it just takes away from density and interesting conversation when there is so much clutter.

PS: Long post notwithstanding, can we get this thread back on track?

Sorry to perpetuate the hijack, but I did want to reply.

How do you think they are adding value? Honest question and not intended in any way to be adversarial.

Brevity is the soul of wit, my friend. :)

And to PB's point... everyone feels good with the :laugh: or :) . It is adding to the comraderie and overall community.

Brevity is the soul of wit, my friend. :)

And to PB's point... everyone feels good with the :laugh: or :) . It is adding to the comraderie and overall community.

That's not really what I'm talking about at all. I guess I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the fifteenth post in a thread either agreeing with the original poster without anything more than "yeah, good point" or "i dnt know about tht" or something comparable. The smilies, when used well, are funny and do add to comraderie. As a personal example, I definitely appreciated when I made the shocker analogy that you (zoony) and you (PleaseBlitz) said that it made you laugh. No doubt that I appreciated that. :)

I'm talking about discussions of topics where there are only two posts that discuss the issue possed by the thread starter and the rest are either piling on or are just saying something along the lines of "this thread sucks."

As to brevity, I wrote in several posts above, "Density of intelligent thought (and that doesn't mean that brevity doesn't have its place) is what makes this Board great."

I think you guys are confusing "density" for "longwindedness" which, at least to me, are very, very different concepts.

Well then I misunderstood IHS....

I agree... redundancy is the plague, and should be treated as such. The mortal sin on ES is posting a duplicate thread... but those who duplicate a post over and over are given a free pass. Yet both add to the clutter.

Looks like were pretty much are in agreement, so ill just answer the questions you posed.

Levity is fine, but when 10-20-30 people post the same thing, "SACK" or something comprable, or even after a bad play, 10 people post "Gibbs Sucks" or "Brunell Sucks," I just don't think that really adds anything except to people's post counts. And I'm not saying that I haven't engaged in this kind of thing--I'm just as guilty as anyone.

I havent engaged in the game threads. I get way too into the games and usually watch with friends or at FedEx, so i dont have my computer on during the games. So i cant answer to this, i was referring mostly to the tailgate.

Not taken as adversarial. When the thread is for instance, the picture battle, and your post is 1 picture, no words, it adds value and keeps the thread moving along. If you need more than 1 sentence to 'splain your picture, you are missing the point of the thread. I could easily go back and forth with someone for an hour, just killing time, and it's entertaining as hell. These are game threads, they dont need long replies. A lot of members would rather participate in these than the political discussions. For me, the "Own3d and other funny stuff" is the best thread on the board. Again, little or no thought needed. And members can easily post 10 times in 1 hour.

If you dont participate in these threads, fine, your choice. Different strokes for different folks. But dont say that anyone who posts 15 or more times per day isnt adding value to this MB.

EDIT: Though i agree that some people get carried away and post simply :laugh: 15 times a day just to get their post count up. I think people value post count too much, but after awhile on this board, you come to learn about individual posters, some you may think are funny, some you might think are idiots, but if someones post count is 2000 but only consists of :cool: 's then I still wont respect that guy/gal.

:2cents:

So who adds more value to the board? Someone who contributes regularly to the game threads and keeps them going? Is it someone who posts long, drawn out replies to the same old rehashed political discussions that pop up on a seemingly daily basis? Or is it the guy who posts that people with 15+ posts a day neads to "find more real friends?" Let me tell you, that 1 post really enlightened me...:rolleyes:

A lot of people enjoy the game threads, as evidence by the 7000+ responses to Song Name Game and the growing number in the other "name" threads. "Picture Battle" doesn't even involve words half the time, but always provides a chuckle or two (for me at least). And don't even get me started on the Stadium...I think I've posted maybe 10 times in the past month; threads just disappear so quickly over there and its impossible to have any kind of football discussion anymore.

I'm not calling anyone out, but I swear I could go and pull up at least 20 threads from the past month or two and pull out "substantial" posts in each of them that argued the same thing over and over. I myself am guilty of this to an extent, but I've pretty much avoided most of these types of threads because they get so repetitive. Many others have pointed this out as well.

I wasn't here in the beginning, but the dynamic of the board has changed. When you increase the population, it has no choice but to change. I was member 23,333, so there were already a ton of people here (the Stadium was still a place where you could talk football easily, though).

I guess bottom line (and the ultimate irony) is that someone saying a 15+ a day poster needs to find some "real friends" may be contributing to the board, but in a negative way. I don't think the board needs any more negativity...:2cents:

Oh...I think we are getting our definitions of "game thread" confused. I haven't posted in the game threads once this year (except maybe one or two posts after the game is over). We are referring to song name, band name, movie name, etc. game threads....

I think....right PB? :paranoid:

Well then I misunderstood IHS....

I agree... redundancy is the plague, and should be treated as such. The mortal sin on ES is posting a duplicate thread... but those who duplicate a post over and over are given a free pass. Yet both add to the clutter.

You raise a good point. It's just very difficult for us to police each and every thread to ensure that people aren't spamming the board. Threads are far more managable.

I havent engaged in the game threads. I get way too into the games and usually watch with friends or at FedEx, so i dont have my computer on during the games. So i cant answer to this, i was referring mostly to the tailgate.

I was definitely talking more about the Stadium and not the Tailgate.

Not taken as adversarial. When the thread is for instance, the picture battle, and your post is 1 picture, no words, it adds value and keeps the thread moving along. If you need more than 1 sentence to 'splain your picture, you are missing the point of the thread. I could easily go back and forth with someone for an hour, just killing time, and it's entertaining as hell. These are game threads, they dont need long replies. A lot of members would rather participate in these than the political discussions. For me, the "Own3d and other funny stuff" is the best thread on the board. Again, little or no thought needed. And members can easily post 10 times in 1 hour.

No doubt about the Picture Battle threads or Picture Find threads. And if you look back earlier enough, I participated in many of them and they are definitely funny.

If you dont participate in these threads, fine, your choice. Different folks for different folks. But dont say that anyone who posts 15 or more times per day isnt adding value to this MB.

Again, I'm not really talking about the Picture Battle threads which are far more engaging (and funny and interesting) than say Word Association, but about threads in the Stadium. What I wrote initially was this, "There's no way one can average over 15 posts a day on an monthly basis and add substantive discussion in each post." And I stand by that: it's impossible to average that many contributions to substantive conversation either in Tailgate or in Stadium. I'm not saying that if you are over 15 ppd that you are spamming the board, per se--hell, I average close to 17 and averaged 42 ppd for a good three months.

Anyway, I think we're cool, right? :)

Just for the record, I think the song name game, band name game, movie game, and word association threads are extremely annoying. It is frustrating to see them constantly hog up space on the main page.

But I think that's just personal preference, many seem to like them. Well, 4 people do at least. Dah-Dee, Stwasm, Taylor 36, and Dean Collins :doh:.

Just for the record, I think the song name game, band name game, movie game, and word association threads are extremely annoying. It is frustrating to see them constantly hog up space on the main page.

But I think that's just personal preference, many seem to like them. Well, 4 people do at least. Dah-Dee, Stwasm, Taylor 36, and Dean Collins :doh:.

Heh...there are lot of people who post regularly in those threads. I enjoy them, personally...and its a big reason why I'm at 18+ ppd. But to each his own. At least you aren't telling me to go find some "real friends..." ;)

Oh...I think we are getting our definitions of "game thread" confused. I haven't posted in the game threads once this year (except maybe one or two posts after the game is over). We are referring to song name, band name, movie name, etc. game threads....

I think....right PB? :paranoid:

yeah. Sorry, misunderstanding. "The Game Thread" is the one people post on during the game. I dont participate in that. "game threads" are the song name game, pic battle, etc. I should have been more specific. My bad.

Archived