Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryant Gumbel: Racist

Westbrook36

We all know that China breeds their athletes to make a showing against the West :laugh:

So what you're saying is the following:

[JIMMY THE GREEK]

The Chinaman ath-a-lete breeds his good-skating male ath-a-lete with his good-skating female ath-a-lete to make good-skating Chinaman ath-a-lete babies.

[/JIMMY THE GREEK]

:paranoid:

:laugh:

Bryant Gumble is absolutely a load, though. Always has been, always will be. It would be easy to take his "whoa is me" attitude a little more seriously if he wasn't married to a white woman (the epitome of the stereotypical "prize") and had actually been black himself for the last 30 years or so.

awww poor white people

Actually you should say poor white people and black people. Comments like Gumbel's only continue to strain race relations between whites and blacks. To be honest, I never even thought about the color of our Olympic team until now.

My point was that this goes on all the time on both sides of the coin.

You don't think white reporters/analysts/commentators/whatever have racist undertones to thier opinions and so on?

It happens all the time. I notice it and I'm white.

Big deal - who really gives a crap what Bryant Gumble says. Grab a kleenex and move on.

My point was that this goes on all the time on both sides of the coin.

You don't think white reporters/analysts/commentators/whatever have racist undertones to thier opinions and so on?

It happens all the time. I notice it and I'm white.

Big deal - who really gives a crap what Bryant Gumble says. Grab a kleenex and move on.

Would you be saying "who cares" if it was a white journalist saying it about the Olympic basketball team? That journalist would be crucified and forced to resign. That is a reality. The double standard is what pisses people off and doesn't help race relations in this country. It only creates a backlash.

Would you be saying "who cares" if it was a white journalist saying it about the Olympic basketball team? That journalist would be crucified and forced to resign. That is a reality. The double standard is what pisses people off and doesn't help race relations in this country. It only creates a backlash.

Yes, I would be saying "who cares" because I don't care what any of these people say.

People tend to act like we should all be living in this glorified world of unity where people of all colors hold hands and sing "we are the world". It wasn't that long ago black people had to drink from different water fountains and sit at the back of the bus. To be honest, I think race relations are moving along quite nicely. It's going to be a long time before things are peachy keen and I doubt I'll be alive to witness it. People will be people, and people will have opinions, its up to you on how much you care about it.

Until all racism is eliminated in the United States, this is a double standard I can live with. Black people can keep the n-word too, I don't use it all that much anyways ;).

examples, please. and jimmy the greek doesn't count anymore.

Visit a sports message board visited by a majority of black people and it shouldn't be hard to find. I also post on okayplayer, which is a hip hop related site with the majority of its posting base being black. They bring this same type of crap up all the time only the other way around. I tell them exactly what I tell you guys, who cares?

I'm not denying there is a double standard, meaning white racists must find other ways to word things and black people can straight up say "white this white that". But with our countrys history, don't you sort of expect this and live with it? While things have certainly been better in our short lifetime, it wasn't that long before it that things weren't so equal. Its going to take a loooonnnggg time before race relations are ever great in this country.

Cmon quit being so damn dense!!!

The Winter Olympics are basically a get together for Europe and North America.Few athletes from Africa and Oceania thus the lack of color.

Could it be because those areas of the world have a lot of snow and ice?

The sports in the winter olympics,, skiing, skating, sliding, etc... because these northern countries with a lot of snow and ice do well in it, somehow it's exclusionary?

Does EVERYTHING in this country have to center on race?

Racism will never ever go away because we are SO FIXATED ON RACE.. if you look hard enough you can imagine it at every turn... and many, MANY do.

Again,, why can't they just be ATHLETES?

Isn't a racist someone who notices color? Aren't we supposed to be working to get past all this junk? Can someone please tell me why on earth color had to be injected into the damned Olympics?

I mean, if ever there was a thing that tried it's level best to showcase the best, ignore racism and classism and nationalism, if ever there was a thing that did nothing but promote harmony and fellowship among nations and peoples of the earth, it's the Olympics. EVERYONE is welcome.

Hell, even IRAN is there participating.

Gumble needs to get off of it, and so does everyone who agrees with him even slightly.

Come on folks.

Just TRY to not see color once in a while, especially in a worldwide event that doesn't discriminate.

Just TRY. It's really not that hard to do.

And as usual, rather than condemn Gumbel for saying something blatantly racist, the excuse is "white guys do it, so it's OK"

No it's NOT OK no matter who does it. Because one guy acts like a fool does that mean the other guy is now justified in his foolishness?

I mean aside from the fact that Gumbel is totally off base, must the cycle continue to perpetuate among people who should KNOW BETTER BY NOW?

~Bang

Meh, ok, he just confirmed something that I've suspected all along

Black people are smarter than white people. Honestly, who on earth would hurl themselves down a freezing, snow-covered mountain at 50+ mph wearing spandex? :D :D :D

Anybody else remember a number of years back, one of the local stations sent an ex-Redskin of color - might have been Doc Walker - to cover the Winter Games. During his report, when asked about the cold, he stood outside freezing to death in a big parka and answered, "This ain't no weather for a black man!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure he got spanked for that, but it was pretty funny.

Anybody else remember a number of years back, one of the local stations sent an ex-Redskin of color - might have been Doc Walker - to cover the Winter Games. During his report, when asked about the cold, he stood outside freezing to death in a big parka and answered, "This ain't no weather for a black man!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure he got spanked for that, but it was pretty funny.

The following story is neither a lie nor an exaggeration.

I worked for MCI in Pentagon City from '95 through early '02. A black co-worker and I ('Pokes fan... I like him, so he's semi-forgiven) were talking about various sports. Stick & ball, auto racing, etcetera and so on. When we were talking about winter sports, I naturally asked why you don't see many black hockey players in particular. He of course made the old joke about a bunch of white guys in masks and sticks chasing around a black dude, which was obviously the chuckle factor. His serious answer?

"It's too damn cold!"

No kidding. He looked at me deadpan and said that. It wasn't a joke or anything.

It was already said...the Men's olympic basketabll team didn't get the gold medal, and they were crucified as being selfish or lazy or not caring about winning. Race relations are gonna be the way they are now until people start talking open and honestly about race relations, and not being afraid of what they don't know.

Archived