Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryant Gumbel: Racist

Westbrook36

To me... it's not so much what Bryant Gumbell said. I mean, we all know he's an idiot.

But those defending him? :doh: :doh:

It's that kind of thinking among Americans that allows people like Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore to have successful careers. Some people will believe / accept anything. That is the real tragedy here.

IMO, in reading what he said, I think Westbrook36's assertion that Bryant Gumble is a racist is incorrect...in my interpretation of the comments, I think BG was saying don't assume that all of these people at the winter olympics are not the world greatest atheletes, just because there aren't many blacks included in the games...We all know that there are some people out there, IMO mostly black, that will laugh at the notion that the some of the worlds greatest atheletes are at the olympics, because there aren't many blacks there. I think he was trying to make a point of the stereotypes that are out there.

Gumbal is definitely a racist to say something like that. The whole idea of racial equality is exactly that: EQUALITY. Do you think MLK (who I have the uttermost respect for) wanted the world to live by a double standard? No way. He wanted ALL men, regardless of color, to have equal rights. IMO his dream was twisted after his death. This is why I don't support the concept of affirmative action and racial diversity quotas. Merit alone should determine your aptitude in life. But I digress...

Remarks like BG's only serve to further divide this nation along racial lines. Makes me want to puke.

It was already said...the Men's olympic basketabll team didn't get the gold medal, and they were crucified as being selfish or lazy or not caring about winning. Race relations are gonna be the way they are now until people start talking open and honestly about race relations, and not being afraid of what they don't know.

It was NOT already said. What if Bob Costas said this:

"try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Whites that makes the Summer Games look like an NAACP convention”.

These are Gumbel's exact words reversed from a white racist point of view. Do you think Costas would be allowed to keep his job if he said that?

"try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Whites that makes the Summer Games look like an NAACP convention”.

These are Gumbel's exact words reversed from a white racist point of view. Do you think Costas would be allowed to keep his job if he said that?

I 2nd that post.

Could it be because those areas of the world have a lot of snow and ice?

The sports in the winter olympics,, skiing, skating, sliding, etc... because these northern countries with a lot of snow and ice do well in it, somehow it's exclusionary?

Does EVERYTHING in this country have to center on race?

Racism will never ever go away because we are SO FIXATED ON RACE.. if you look hard enough you can imagine it at every turn... and many, MANY do.

Again,, why can't they just be ATHLETES?

Isn't a racist someone who notices color? Aren't we supposed to be working to get past all this junk? Can someone please tell me why on earth color had to be injected into the damned Olympics?

I mean, if ever there was a thing that tried it's level best to showcase the best, ignore racism and classism and nationalism, if ever there was a thing that did nothing but promote harmony and fellowship among nations and peoples of the earth, it's the Olympics. EVERYONE is welcome.

Hell, even IRAN is there participating.

Gumble needs to get off of it, and so does everyone who agrees with him even slightly.

Come on folks.

Just TRY to not see color once in a while, especially in a worldwide event that doesn't discriminate.

Just TRY. It's really not that hard to do.

And as usual, rather than condemn Gumbel for saying something blatantly racist, the excuse is "white guys do it, so it's OK"

No it's NOT OK no matter who does it. Because one guy acts like a fool does that mean the other guy is now justified in his foolishness?

I mean aside from the fact that Gumbel is totally off base, must the cycle continue to perpetuate among people who should KNOW BETTER BY NOW?

~Bang

Awesome post Bang.

Didn't anybody ever see Cool Runnings? That movie rocks!!!

"Hey Jamaica, see you in 4 years, ya?"

"Ya mon".

There is obviously a double standard. Yes, if Bob Costas said that, his ass would've been crucified. This is a reality. If you can't see that, it doesn't matter if you're black or white, because you're blind.

But, one factor nobody is really considering is the HBO factor. Remember when Bill Mahr said the 9/11 terrorists were brave and the U.S. lobbing cruise missiles from thousands of miles away were wusses on ABC two days after the attack?? His ass got fired. But he wound up on HBO with his own show and now he's allowed to spew garbage like that with no consequences. Bryant Gumble, an idiot and now an apparent racist, is just doing the same thing because he knows he can't be touched.

It's racism between the networks and HBO, people!!! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP???!! Can't you see all TVs are equal?

If Bob Costas had said that, he would be an idiot because it would make no sense...Now if your fake Bob Costas quote had said:

"try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s smartest scientists, despite a paucity of Whites that makes the Science Convention look like an NAACP convention", then Bob should and would lose his job.

Like I said earlier in one of my posts, I think what BG was doing was shedding light on the stereotypes that are out there, that there are no great white athletes...in essence what BG said was don't judge a book by its cover..meaning just because most of the participants in the winter olympics are white, does not mean that the winter olympics is doesn't have the worlds greatest athletes (Because you and I both know that there are people out there that think the worlds greatest athletes are mostly black)...the line about the winter olypics looking like a GOP Convention is true...I am willing to bet you that there were not a lot of blacks at the 2004 GOP Convention...I don't call that racist, I call it a FACT.

If Bob Costas had said that, he would be an idiot because it would make no sense...Now if your fake Bob Costas quote had said:

"try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s smartest scientists, despite a paucity of Whites that makes the Science Convention look like an NAACP convention", then Bob should and would lose his job.

Like I said earlier in one of my posts, I think what BG was doing was shedding light on the stereotypes that are out there, that there are no great white athletes...in essence what BG said was don't judge a book by its cover..meaning just because most of the participants in the winter olympics are white, does not mean that the winter olympics is doesn't have the worlds greatest athletes (Because you and I both know that there are people out there that think the worlds greatest athletes are mostly black)...the line about the winter olypics looking like a GOP Convention is true...I am willing to bet you that there were not a lot of blacks at the 2004 GOP Convention...I don't call that racist, I call it a FACT.

You are kidding, right? You are totally misinterpreting Gumbel's comments. He wasn't shedding light on stereotypes, he was perpetuating them. You can spin it however you want, these comments were racist.

You are kidding, right? You are totally misinterpreting Gumbel's comments. He wasn't shedding light on stereotypes, he was perpetuating them. You can spin it however you want, these comments were racist.

I am not misinterpeting the comments at all...I am interpreting them the way I see them, not how Nelms or Westbrook36 interpets them...tell me this, did you see the show when he made these comments? Because the last person I would term a racist is Bryant Gumble...especially since most of the reporters on Real Sports are, hello, WHITE. I think you need to check the context of the comments before you term him a racist.

So the world's greatests atheletes are black???

Isn't that racist?

What about Latino's and Asians and other races where are they when they make up a pretty HUGE chunk of the world's populace (probably moreso than blacks and whites combined)?

Let's talk about racism shall we, everybody keeps on talking (not in just this thread but in general populace) about black vs white but it seems that every other race in the US is left out.

Where are the asians and Latinos and middle-Easterners in football, NASCAR, Basketball (USA not world level), NHL and other sports? Answer: Not there or so small, not mentioned. But no Bryant Gumble or Jesse Jackson complaints about that eh? As for the olympics.....your nation can sponsor a team for each and EVERY sport being performed at the Winter and Summer Olympics but those participating have to at least qualify and make the cut to be in the Olympics.

So Gumble's argument/comment is goofy at best, those participating at Torino (despite race) are the best atheletes for that category that they are paricpating right now in 2006. Why??? B/C they earned their way there.......same can be said at the Summer Olympics when those who are there (again race doesn't matter) competing.

Just seems to be another comment from somebody who's opinion is no more enlightened than anybody else, but gets glorified b/c he has a TV show and used to be filler for Jane Pauley on the Today show.

So the world's greatests atheletes are black???

Isn't that racist?

What about Latino's and Asians and other races where are they when they make up a pretty HUGE chunk of the world's populace (probably moreso than blacks and whites combined)?

Let's talk about racism shall we, everybody keeps on talking (not in just this thread but in general populace) about black vs white but it seems that every other race in the US is left out.

Where are the asians and Latinos and middle-Easterners in football, NASCAR, Basketball (USA not world level), NHL and other sports? Answer: Not there or so small, not mentioned. But no Bryant Gumble or Jesse Jackson complaints about that eh? As for the olympics.....your nation can sponsor a team for each and EVERY sport being performed at the Winter and Summer Olympics but those participating have to at least qualify and make the cut to be in the Olympics.

So Gumble's argument/comment is goofy at best, those participating at Torino (despite race) are the best atheletes for that category that they are paricpating right now in 2006. Why??? B/C they earned their way there.......same can be said at the Summer Olympics when those who are there (again race doesn't matter) competing.

Just seems to be another comment from somebody who's opinion is no more enlightened than anybody else, but gets glorified b/c he has a TV show and used to be filler for Jane Pauley on the Today show.

Let me ask you a question...was it racist in your opinion for the Air Force football coach to say that the Air force needed to recruit more black athletes to the school to play the "skill" positions in football so that they could be more competitive? I am a black man and I had no problem with the comments at all...you know why, because it is a fact that most of the players in the skill positions in NCAA football are black and very good...it is like people can't handle the TRUTH...and it is true that a lot of people in the world think that the best athletes are predominately black...is that racist? who knows...I will leave that up to others to decide...but did bryant gumble say that the world greatest athletes were black??? NOOOOOO...he said in his rant, TO THE PEOPLE WATCHING THE SHOW, not to chuckle at the notion that the winter olympics are a collection of the world greatest athletes...because the winter olympics IS a collection of the world greatest athletes...I think people are getting bent out of shape because he said that the Winter Olympics looked like a GOP convention because there are not a lot of blacks represented...HELLO, there are not a lot of blacks at a GOP Convention...not a racist statement, but a FACT.

Did you see the show?

Archived